× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems setting up NAS31400

davidr1
Luminary

Problems setting up NAS31400

Hi,

I just bought the 31400 and two 4TB WD RED WD30EFRX.

1. It is doing a Resync (presumably building the XRAID2 array?).

2. After about 5% it showed the IP address alternating with the Resync %. Then the screen started going blank (as in black/off) for 10 secs approx. before redisplaying. Is this normal?

3. Religiously following the Basic Setup instructions, once it showed the IP address I tried to set it up. I don't want Cloud mode, only Offline - I assume that keeps me more 'private' from Netgear's Cloud and stays just on my LAN?

4. I typed hhtp://readycloud.netgear.com and the Welcome to ReadyCLOUD. I pressed Start and another page opened sayin 'No Devices Discovered'. Raidar sees the device OK.

Stuck.

If I enter my serial number, it then throws me into setting up cloud which is not the step I want - I want Offline mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Message 1 of 34

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problems setting up NAS31400

I was thinking you meant your legacy NAS upgrades.  Personally I'd wait a bit longer, but that of course is your call.  If you have more than one NAS, then maybe try it on one first.

Software updates work the same way as before.  You won't get notifications on beta updates, but you should on production releases.  And of course you can manually install from the web ui.

View solution in original post

Message 33 of 34

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Yes. The disks need to be synced sector by sector to setup the RAID

2. The display is turned off after a period of inactivity to help preserve its life. A momentary press of the power button turns it back on.

3. Offline mode doesn't use NETGEAR's cloud

4. For local setup you can use RAIDar if you want. The offline setup button on that takes you to https://ip.address.of.nas/admin which is the offline/local admin setup page. 

Note in "Offline" mode the NAS will still check for firmware updates, send email alerts (if configured), contact our servers to download the latest app listing and to install apps if you want to install any etc.

Message 2 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Many thanks mdgm,

I changed the name and IP address - OK.

I set up email and sent a successful test.

I changed the login password (pretty much same procedure as legacy) - but it won't recognise the default or my new password to login.

David

Message 3 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try an OS Re-install (resets admin password to default) and then change the password again.

Message 4 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks mdgm,

I'll do that tomorrow.

It wasn't clear from what I've read if an OS-reinstall will change my new NAS name and new IP address?

David

Message 5 of 34
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The OS re-install would reset network settings (so the NAS would pickup an address via DHCP). It does not change the hostname.

Message 6 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Hi,

I have the name and mac already assigned to a specific ip address that I want.

The mac assignment was ignored when I booted it for the first time - the only difference was the 314 put in a different name and selected a different IP even though the mac was the same. I had set the router ip I to Reserved (DHCP Client), not Fixed (set on PC).

1. If this reassignment happens again is there a set order in which I should set the Name and Ip on the 314 and delete the one I don't want on the router?

2. Should I then turn off the 314, delete the wrong ip in the router, reboot the router and then turn on the 314?

David

Message 7 of 34
vandermerwe
Master

Each LAN port has its own MAC address, are you using the correct NIC for your Ethernet cable? It sounds like your router is assigning an address from the dynamic dhcp pool, or you have set a static address on the nas.

If you set a reserved dhcp address on the router, the nas (set on dhcp) should receive that address if you entered the MAC address correctly in the router. The nas must of course be set to dhcp, not static.  The name should not be relevant to the allocation of the address.  With my router, the name appearing on the router comes from the nas if it is a dynamic dhcp address, and the name displayed in the router GUI comes from the router if I set a reserved dhcp address.

Message 8 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

Hi,

I have the name and mac already assigned to a specific ip address that I want.

The mac assignment was ignored when I booted it for the first time - the only difference was the 314 put in a different name and selected a different IP even though the mac was the same. I had set the router ip I to Reserved (DHCP Client), not Fixed (set on PC).

What router are you using?

On Netgear routers, the name you enter when you reserve the address is only there so you can remember what device has the mac address.   It is not the host name for the device (and for some reason Netgear doesn't even carry over the name you enter to the router's attached device list).  

You set the host name of the NAS on the NAS.

As far as getting the wrong address, often you need to reboot the router after changing the reservation table.  So try doing that.

1. If this reassignment happens again is there a set order in which I should set the Name and Ip on the 314 and delete the one I don't want on the router?

2. Should I then turn off the 314, delete the wrong ip in the router, reboot the router and then turn on the 314?

Not sure if you are talking about the wrong assignment or if you are asking what to do if you want to change the address.

If you want to change the address, you change the table entry in the router and reboot the router.  If that fails to "take", then briefly remove the ethernet cable(s) from the NAS and reinsert them.  That will trigger the NAS to request a new IP address.

The way DHCP works is that a client requests a "lease" from the router, and gets an IP address with an expiration date.  The client then needs to ask for a new lease before that the old one expires.  There is no way for the router to revoke the existing lease (that is, it can't say "hey, ask me for a new address", or "I want your address back", or "use this address now").  The router has to wait for the client device to ask.

Clients will ask for a new lease if they see disruption of their network connection.  But if you have ethernet switches between the router and the client, it won't see any disruption.

So there are two basic things that need to happen when you want to switch addresses.

(a) the router needs to apply an updated reservation table (which the router reboot guarantees)

(b) After that the client needs to ask for a new address.  Rebooting the client assures that, but disrupting the network connection usually works, and is a bit easier.

Message 9 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks mdgm and StephenB,

I rebooted my Netgear FVS31G router and did an OS reinstall. It changed the default login but left the new NAS name and IP as I had set them.

It's now working with the new password I changed again this morning - thanks.

But it it has raised 2 new questions.

1. I have a profile with Netgear where my other gear is recorded. Password is current. But when I try to register it through the OS6 interface (which simply takes me to the netgear product registration site) it says my email address is invalid.

2. I can't find in the h/w or user manual how to import folders and sub-folders and contents. It's a heck of a file structure to create every folder manually that I want to copy from my Ultra. Is there a way or is it by file only? Drag 'n Drop doesn't work for folders either. Files drop in OK.

David

Message 10 of 34
StephenB
Guru

The easiest way to copy data from your ultra is to (a) set up the same share on the RN314 and (b) create a backup job to migrate the data from the ultra share with NFS.  

Set the owner/group to admin/admin on the share (on the ultra) first on the advanced screen for the share, and reset the file permissions using the checkbox.  Admin/Admin has a matching UID/GID on the RN314, so it ensures that the files still have a defined owner/group on the 314..  You can reset ownership on the RN314 after migration if that is needed.

Drag and Drop should work, but requires hauling the data from the ultra over the network to the PC and then back to the RN314.

Message 11 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks for helping StephenB,

I setup a backup job and it's going. The test went OK.

The new interface is 'daunting' after years of the legacy series interface. But I think I'm getting there.

1. With my Pro and Ultra, I have some share mounted and displaying in the Home folder. I did this by:

a) making mount points, canging ownership, modifying permissions for each share I wanted, e.g.:

• sudo mkdir /mnt/naspro_documents
  • sudo chown -R david:david /mnt/nnaspro_documents                       etc. for other shares
  • sudo chmod -R 755 /mnt/naspro_documents                                     etc. for other shares
  • ln -s /mnt/naspro_documents /home/david/

b) adding to fstab, e.g:

• 192.168.1.8:/c/documents /mnt/naspro_documents nfs nfsvers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,tcp,noatime,intr                        etc. for other shares

This was very useful.

But I can't get the same procedure to work for the 314. I have read the user manual/hardware manual but can't find how to show OS6 shares in the Home folder of the PC documented anywhere.

It's quite a learning curve, I think. So I an very grateful for the help here.

David

Message 12 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

I should say I'm using Ubuntu only - no Windows on my system.

Message 13 of 34
StephenB
Guru

I'm not sure I'm following the ask.

Is the goal simply to link in an existing share on the 314 to david's home folder on the same 314?

Message 14 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

My apologies.

No - to link shares on the 314 (including those I create) to my Home folder on the PCs.

Thanks,

David

Message 15 of 34
StephenB
Guru

The volume name is wrong for the fstab step, the default volume is data, not c.

Not sure if that is everything though.

Message 16 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks StephenB,

That worked - I now have links to the folders in my PC Home directory.

Many thanks.

David

Message 17 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Hi - plesse tell me if this should be a new thread.

1. I converted my Ultra to OS6 - no problems. Thank you to mdgm, StephenB and rootax for making it so simple. Haven't done the Pro yet ...

2. On OS6 Power (I prefer the legacy Power choices) how does one set an 'off' time? For example, If I want to manually power up my system on Sunday I want to be sure the NAS' will shutdown at, say, 6 p.m.. If I just have 1700-1800 as the on/off it:

a) doesn't shutdown at 1800 (on manual turn ons)

b) It is not a 'safety net' - the nas will power on and shutdown for an hour even if I don't want it to.

In legacy, on any day I could set just an 'off time' in case I had powered up during the day. This was useful especially if unattended.

3. Very large photos (7(?) MB +) don't show thumbnails. Is there a file under the hood where 'show thumbnails for files larger than ... MB' can be changed?

4. How do I do an OS-reinstall on an Ultra/Pro OS6, please?

Many thanks,

David

Message 18 of 34
StephenB
Guru

-Some others have asked for unbalanced schedules (both "on" w/o and "off" an "off" w/o an "on").  That use cases make sense to me, but Netgear hasn't commented.

-The thumbnails are actually created by Windows not the NAS.  There are some things you can check here: http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-explorer-doesnt-show-thumbnail-previews-in-windows-vista-and-7/

-The normal OS reinstall in the hardware manual should now be reinstalling OS6 on your system.  Is that addressing your question, or are you really wanting to know how to reverse the OS6 install??

Message 19 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

1. I meant OS Re-install (resets admin password to default) of OS6, not going back to legacy.I don't want to delete data - I'm happy with Ultra's OS6 (except the power settings options).
  2. Even the minutes option in the Power on/off was useful - and more power friendly.
    (No chance of a guru making a power on/off plugin ???)
  3. Additionally, I'm not sure what importance 'Balance and 'Disk Test' actually do that would warrant seting up schedules for them.

Thanks,

David

Message 20 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Forget to mention - I onlu use linux - thumbnails show OK in folders, not the Firfox interface - so I guess its Firefox that is the culprit.

Message 21 of 34
StephenB
Guru

"Balance" is a btrfs concept, and you should schedule it periodically.   There is a brief explanation here: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#What_does_.22balance.22_do.3F

The disk test is (as it says) a test of the disk.  I think its equivalent to the long test in the vendor diags.  A scrub is also a good disk diagnostic (every sector of every drive in the data volume is accessed  during a scrub).

I schedule each of the maintenance options to run quarterly - spreading them thoughout the quarter. 

Message 22 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Many thanks StephenB.

I was doing the scrub weekly ... paranoid .... it is so disk intensive.

IMHO the Monthly scheduler for this is terrible. IMO the Monthly sheduler should be by 1st, 2nd ... last Mon, Tues...Sat, Sun of month and time of day. Using the Monthly sheduler, there is no way I can guarantee the unit is on or if on, free for such intensive maintenance. I would have thought most users would have set days (whether weekly, bi-monthly or quarterly) they do maintenance, not random times (which calendar dates are).

I can't use the monthly schedular for monthly maintenance - am I alone in this thinking?

David

Message 23 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

IMHO the Monthly scheduler for this is terrible. IMO the Monthly sheduler should be by 1st, 2nd ... last Mon, Tues...Sat, Sun of month and time of day. 

I just use dates myself (not day of the week).  Scrub 1 Jan, 1 April, 1 July, 1 October kind ot thing.  

Being able to lock in "first Saturday in Jan" instead would be a nice addition.

Message 24 of 34
davidr1
Luminary

Hi,

"Being able to lock in "first Saturday in Jan" instead would be a nice addition."

I'm venting ...

I run a business that is extremely busy from 0500 Tuesday until 0200 Thursday. Other weekdays it's only busy from 0700 through to 1630.

Using the date system, it is guaranteed that disk intensive, say scrubbing, would occur at the very time I need to avoid it. Scrubbing takes 6+ hours.

OS6 has many advantages but in all the areas involving time schedules IMHO it is a serious step back.

If Netgear don't address it I just hope a guru can write plugins for the scheduling functions.

Anyway, Thanks StephenB.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements