× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102

dwtucker63
Tutor

RN102

I really screwed up, I hope one of you gurus can help me.

I will try and make this short and consise....

Some background:

- I DO NOT (lesson learned now) have password recovery enabled

- I DO NOT have a back-up of my drive data

My RN102 has worked for years with no issues, we just love it. So this week I decided to enable the ReadyCloud features so we can access files from anywhere. I went in and enabled the switch on the Cloud Screen and set it up. (sorry if I got the wrong names, I am going from memory). When I log into Readycloud.netgear.com, I can get in, but I can't see my shares. To be quick, it simply does not appear to be configured correctly.

After 2 days of trying to make it work (I read all the on-line docs I could), I decided to remove my cloud and start over. This is when all HELL broke lose.

Here is what I think I did...

I logged into the ReadyNAS and (again, going from memory) I went to the screen where you can enable the Cloud and next to the swtich was a button. I think it said "Remove from Cloud"???? I pushed the button, it asked me if I was sure, I said yes, and it hung for 2-3 min. and when it came back, it asked me for my password. I entered it like I always did and I can't get in.

I tried to log in direclty to the ReadyNas - can't get in.

I tried to login via ReadyCloud.Netgear.com and I can't get in.

I even tried the default admin and password, I can't get in.

Essentially I am now locked out.

I can no longer access my drives and see my files. So even the most rootamentory capability is now locked.

I am looking for any ideas I can try to most importantly, get back into my device so I can get to me data. 

Please, any help you have, I will try it.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102

If you don't have password recovery enabled then you could try an OS Re-install: https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312

If that does not resolve it then that would suggest additional problems that would require further investigation.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you don't have password recovery enabled then you could try an OS Re-install: https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312

If that does not resolve it then that would suggest additional problems that would require further investigation.

Message 2 of 6
dwtucker63
Tutor

Hi mdgm, thank you fior the suggestion. 1 question before I try this. From what I read in the link you provided, it appears this OS Reinstall will NOT reformat or trash any data on my disks, correct? If true, then I will try it tonight.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion.

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Correct, though if your data is important you, you should backup your data regularly.

It's important not to confuse an OS Re-install and a Factory Reset (wipes all data, settings, everything). Unlike an OS Re-install, a Factory Reset will wipe all your data.

Message 4 of 6
dwtucker63
Tutor

mdgm - thank you. I will try it and let you know.

Message 5 of 6
dwtucker63
Tutor

mdgm - That worked. You rock, thank you very much. I am back in. Now I just need to reset it up and set a recovery password this time.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements