× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 USB Reboot Recovery Hung?

smc007i
Aspirant

RN104 USB Reboot Recovery Hung?

Hi,

I'm trying to do a USB OS Recovery reboot on my ReadyNAS RN104.  The NAS has 6.6.0 firmware on it and this is the version I have put on the recovery USB using the Recovery Tool.

I disconnected the ethernet cable and then followed the boot instructions and it boots up off the USB ok and into recovery mode, but then after a minute or so the message "DEBUG: $PORT $IP Recovery" appears on the display and the "R" in Recovery is flashing, so is the USB stick LED, implying it's reading something, however this has been like this for quite a while, how long should this recovery/reload take?  +15mins?  Or is it stuck on an error?

If it is stuck what do I do next?

Thanks,

S

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Why are you doing USB Boot Recovery? That is hardly ever the solution to a problem.

Message 2 of 13
smc007i
Aspirant

I am locked out of my NAS admin, I've tried what I'm sure are all possible admin passwords I could have used (including admin/password) and I cannot get in. After a long nights research on the web this USB recovery appears the final option after I tried a OS reload, but that didn't work either - after selecting it through the boot menu it started and the there was a quick message (too quick to read) saying something like "Missing ..." and then it rebooted.

I can however still access the shares via Windows, all my files are fine, I just can't get onto the admin screen.

Message 3 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

Google, ReadyNAS recover password, first result...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=readynas+recover+password

@mdgm-ntgr I'm not sure how to change the KB article about USB Boot Recovery as it already explains NOT to use this for everything, but we still see users attempting it for random reasons. Maybe you should flag it so it's looked at again? Thanks

Message 4 of 13
smc007i
Aspirant

Of course I tried the first step password recovery answer, but there was an error message saying the email couldn't send.  That's when I looked into other methods.

Message 5 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

OS Reinstall is the next step, as described in the article.

Message 6 of 13
smc007i
Aspirant

As already stated, I tried OS Recovery/Reinstall, but it didn't work.

Message 7 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

You'll have to give more details than "doesn't work". I confirm it's called "OS Reinstall".
Message 8 of 13
smc007i
Aspirant

When I selected OS Reinstall from the boot menu the LED display went through a few messages (can't remember what they said) then the last message was something like "Missing ..." (the text message appeared to exceed the display width) and then it rebooted automatically.  It all happened very fast so I'd have to try it again multiple times to get the full set of messages that came up - if needed.

Message 9 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

We probably only need to the last one.

That status though, "Missing", I have never encountered it before.

Did you reach that message after performing a USB Boot Recovery? Or did you already have it before?

Are you doing the OS Reinstall WITH the drives inserted?

Message 10 of 13
smc007i
Aspirant

I'd tried one or two USB recovery efforts first which gave the DEBUG message in my first post, then I tried the boot menu OS reinstall and it stopped as described (I had tried to do an OS reinstall first, but for some reason I couldn't scroll through the boot menu, it was only after I had tried the USB method when I tried again I managed to select OS reinstall)

- I'm using the files on the NAS at the moment, so I can't do a set of reboots to get the messages for the OS reinstall until tomorrow.

Yes, the drives are inserted, I didn't notice any instructions to take them out, did I miss that somewhere?  Should I try either method with them all removed?

Message 11 of 13
jak0lantash
Mentor

@smc007i wrote:

Yes, the drives are inserted, I didn't notice any instructions to take them out, did I miss that somewhere?  Should I try either method with them all removed?

No. I was just checking that the message wasn't "Missing drives" or something like that. If you do remove the drives, then an OS Reinstall would not work.

What an OS Reinstall basically does is extracting some data from the Flash onto the OS volume, the OS volume being on the HDDs.

What a USB Boot Recovery does is rewritting the content of the Flash from what's on the USB stick.

When you boot your ReadyNAS, it boots from the OS Volume that's on the HDDs.

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The data that's extracted from the flash onto the disks was missing. Put that back on the flash and we'll see if an OS Re-install works now.

Edit: Looks like it worked this time. Please try the default credentials again.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements