× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN3138 Recall New Unit

bridges86406
Tutor

RN3138 Recall New Unit

OK so today I guess my "new" replacement for the RN3138 has been delivered to my house. Couple questions that I have that I have not seen answers to just yet:

1. What model is it that I'm going to receive? 
  2. If it is the same model what is the difference? Processor? 
  3. Will it take the same memory? 
  4. How do I transition from the existing NAS to this new one without losing data? I have no way to "backup" 15tb so I'm really worried and don't want to lose anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN3138 Recall New Unit

1. It would be another RN3138

2. Why was your unit replaced?

3. The RN3138 still uses the same memory. Note we don’t support 3rd party memory upgrades.

4. Power down both systems, move the disks across and keep the disk order the same. If the firmware on the flash doesn’t match that on the disks it should automatically address this.

If you like you can:

1. Put a scratch disk (must not be from your array) in the replacement unit

2. Make sure the firmware is the same/newer on the replacement unit as what you were running on the old unit. If it’s not, update the firmware and verify that it comes up fine after a reboot.

3. Power down, remove the scratch disk and move your disks across

You may have no “way” to backup your data currently but if your data is important to you you really should do backups. No important data should be stored on just the one device.

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

I assume this is for the flawed C2000 family processor (specification addendum AVR 54).  According to the April 2017 issue of the product specification (atom-c2000-family-spec-update), the C0 stepping fixes the issue.  So I assume that they are replacing the CPU with that version of the chip and everything else will remain the same.  Given a BGA is very difficult to replace, you are probably getting a whole new motherboard, if not a whole new NAS.  I have read that vendors had to sign an NDA with Intel regarding this, so they are being pretty closed mouth about specifics -- but the info is out there if you look hard enough.  A lot of vendors (Cisco in particular, but also other NAS manufacturers) have been hit a lot harder by this.  Netgear apparently only used the chip in two rack-mount NASes and a couple of routers.

Message 3 of 8
bridges86406
Tutor

So I received the new unit and have gotten both units upgraded to 6.9.0.

How do I make it so that when I put the 4 drives in everything else is correctly setup like the previous unit? 

Can I do a restore of the backup?  If so do I need to do that restore before or after I get the 4 drives (in order) inserted into the new unit? 

Will this transfer over SSH keys, email password, apps configs to the new unit?  Or will I have to setup up all of that again independently? 

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Your system is on the hard drives.  All you have to do is move them from one unit to the other.  There is nothing to restore -- it will look just like the old one once the drives are installed.  If you had an IP address reserved in your router, just remember to change that to the new NAS's MAC address.

Message 5 of 8
2B-or_not-2B
Aspirant

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. This is in regards to the same recall i believe that is in this thread. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037344/Service-Note-for-RN3130-RN3138-WC7500-and-WC7600v2

I currently have a new WB7530-100NAS on order which is yet to arrive so I can't look at the serial number to know if it is affected yet. I also can not send an email to the one provided in the kb as I'm not an approved sender, so i am looking for the specifics of what happens if I do receive a new WB7530-100NAS that is impacted by the recall.

Would I get a brand new WB7530-100NAS to replace my new in box one? Would I potentially get a refurb or some other option I'm not thinking of? Any guidence would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @2B-or_not-2B

The serial number would tell if it's affected but hopefully, the unit shipped out to you is not part of the batch.

It would be best if you can post on the correct board so you can be assisted by community members.

Regards

Message 7 of 8
2B-or_not-2B
Aspirant

Thanks Mark and I will move my post over to the other board, but are you able to answer my question about if it is impacted what i would get since it would be a new in box item that I would have to RMA to netgear?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements