× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RSherman90
Apprentice

Came into work this morning and found our RN424 (3x8tb disks) very slow. When I tried to log into the OS6.10.9 management page, it took forever to time out. Raidar tells me the 'Management service is offline'. I restarted  using Raidar with the same result. Power button doesn't work to shut down the unit.

I can access all files and new data is saved. But an attached USB drive no loner shows up. I also noticed that all my snapshot folders are empty.

I have backups although some may no longer be working for current data.

I tried a hard shutdown and an OS reinstall, but I don't think that worked as my admin password was not reset.

Looking for a next step forward.

Thanks, Russ

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Can you download the log zip from RAIDar?

Is SSH enabled on the NAS?

This sounds like it might be a full OS partition.

Message 2 of 5
RSherman90
Apprentice

Yes, I was able to download the logs.

No, I don't believe SSH is enabled.

I tried to PM you the logs, but I'm not sure it was attached.

TIA Russ

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@RSherman90 wrote:

Yes, I was able to download the logs.

No, I don't believe SSH is enabled.

I tried to PM you the logs, but I'm not sure it was attached.

TIA Russ

I didn't receive a PM.

You can't attach the log zip, you need to put it into cloud storage, and include a download link in the PM.  Make sure that anyone with the link has permission to download it.

Message 4 of 5
RSherman90
Apprentice

Based on StephenB's advice, I pulled the 3 8Tb disks from the RN424 and inserted a new single disk for testing to see  if there was a hardware problem, After a Factory Reset from the boot menu, I went through a quick X-Raid setup. I was then able to log into Frontview without issue. All seemed to be working as expected. I even restored a configuration backup and found no issues. No apparent hardware, network or software issues.

The issues I had prior to the new disk & Factory Reset were fixed with the test disk:

- extremely slow performance.

- inability to get into Frontview.

- Power Button not working correctly. Had to do a hard shutdown.

- two attached USB drives not showing up and not accessible.

- although shares were accessible on the network, snapshot folders appeared empty.

- I assumed snapshots and backups were not happening.

- I tried several reboots, but it only booted to 99% and hung.

- Tried a OS-Reinstall but it did not appear to take.

I then replaced the test disk with the original three 8Tb disks. Powered up the NAS.

Surprise, surprise! The NAS booted up 100% and all seems to be working properly.

The only thing I did different than normal was to not turn on the two USB drives until after the NAS had completed booting up. But I have no reason to suspect that as a cause. Been running now for 5+ hours.

So thank you StephenB for your help. I was expecting to spend the weekend doing a factory reset with the three 8Tb disks and restoring 8Tb of data from backups.

Crisis averted . . . cause unknown . . . hoping this was a 1-time event . . . grateful for StephenB and all he does.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements