× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN524 Memory Upgrade

schnax
Apprentice

RN524 Memory Upgrade

Hi,

so I know the 524 comes with 4GB ECC DDR4.

Questions I have are

- Can the memory be upgraded (either add a module or replace the current one)?

- What's the maximum support Memory on the device?

And yes I know 3rd party memory upgrades are not supported by Netgear.

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN524 Memory Upgrade

3rd party memory upgrades are not supported by NETGEAR. It's a difficult process and the memory you try could be incompatible/bad.

I'd suggest running the memory test if you do decide to try 3rd party memory.

Two memory slots. Supports up to 32GB (2x16GB). Supports up to DDR4-1866.

We use DDR4 UDIMM ECC modules.

Message 2 of 5
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I'm contemplating a memory upgrade for this device also.  What is complicated about doing it? Are there any instructions for the procedure somewhere?  

I'm also having a hard time sourcing the DDR ECC UDIMM, anyone know a good source for it?

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Dewdman42

As @mdgm-ntgr said upgrading memory is not supported by NETGEAR hence your warranty will be voided. Instructions and parts availability might be available online or from community members that have upgraded their NAS memory.

What might make it complicated is the compatibility of the memory modules and also the procedure on taking out the parts.

Regards

Message 4 of 5
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I'm aware of the warranty issue, thank you.  I will wait until after I have operated the unit for a  period of time to make sure there are no other hardware issues that would be covered by warranty, thanks for the heads up.  its only a matter of tiem before I will want to upgrade the memory to 8GB, as I rely on crashplan for backing up the device, which is a memory pig that needs the ram.

For anyone following this, The key to finding the right memory is to search for EUDIMM memory, available from crucial.  No problem finding it when I searched for that rather then UDIMM ECC.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements