× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RSYNC and SSH

geojay
Guide

RSYNC and SSH

I've got my RN214 happily backing up to a remote RN204 using RSYNC over SSH thanks to the response at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/How-to-use-Rsync-with-SSH-over-a-pair-of-ReadyN... but I noticed something on the remote RN204 that concerned me. Looking at the attached screenshot, it looks as if someone on the remote network can connect to this share via RSYNC without a password. Am I interpreting this screen correctly? The remote router doesn't forward RSYNC to this router so I think at least the remote RN204 is not accessible via RSYNC from the internet.

Thanks

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204,RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4
geojay
Guide

Thinking about this some more, I'm not sure whether (when using RSYNC over SSH) the share needs to have RSYNC set up or whether it actually uses a user account. It's fair to say I'm a bit confused about how RSYNC over SSH actually works...

Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you can easily create a test share at each end and configure a Rsync over SSH backup job and see what happens when you try to run it with various settings.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@geojay wrote:

Looking at the attached screenshot, it looks as if someone on the remote network can connect to this share via RSYNC without a password. Am I interpreting this screen correctly? The remote router doesn't forward RSYNC to this router so I think at least the remote RN204 is not accessible via RSYNC from the internet.

You've answered your own question here.  Your local router doesn't forward the rsync port, so no one on the remote network (or via the internet) can connect with rsync, unless the router is compromised.

SSH is forwarded, but the certificate provides protection there.

@geojay wrote:

Thinking about this some more, I'm not sure whether (when using RSYNC over SSH) the share needs to have RSYNC set up or whether it actually uses a user account. It's fair to say I'm a bit confused about how RSYNC over SSH actually works...

RSYNC definitely needs to be enabled on the remote system (the one that is not running the backup job).

SSH is using the user account.  That's described in the KB article in the section following "When connecting to the ReadyNAS from a remote host, we recommend importing a public key to a user account "

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements