× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

haigha
Aspirant

A.jpg

Message 26 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

Message 27 of 44
Sandshark
Sensei

The 104 is not a rack-mount unit.  If your unit is rack-mount and you have mis-identified it in this chain, the help you are getting may not be correct.

USB recovery is not done via the boot menu.  But since I am no longer sure what NAS you have, I can't point you to the right process.  But assuming it's at least an OS6 based system, you can find them here: How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system .

Message 28 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

THE 104 IS NOT A RACK MOUNT

Yes, I know; my first post identifies my NAS as a "ReadyNAS 104, running System 6.10.7, with 4 x 2TB drives."

As stated above, I've prepared a USB drive for USB recovery, but there's no CLEAR indication of which files should be installed on the USB drive.

Are the files listed in this image the correct files to be included on the recovery USB?

A.jpg

Message 29 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

Started Boot from USB recovery, but errored out to Failed!

Message 30 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@haigha wrote:

Are the files listed in this image the correct files to be included on the recovery USB?

Not quite.  Delete the ulmage-recovery file, and rename the READYNASOS-6.10.8-arm.img file to ulmage-recovery (with no file extension).

Was the drive formatted as instructed?

1. Find a USB drive with a capacity that is greater than 256 MB, but no more than 32 GB.
  2. Ensure that the USB drive has only one partition.
  3. Format the USB drive as FAT, FAT-32, or MS-DOS file system.
Message 31 of 44
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, not sure why you were asking about a booting a rack NAS into USB recovery, but it looks like @StephenB has you on the right track.

Message 32 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

Was the drive formatted as instructed?

1. Find a USB drive with a capacity that is greater than 256 MB, but no more than 32 GB.
  2. Ensure that the USB drive has only one partition.
  3. Format the USB drive as FAT, FAT-32, or MS-DOS file system.

Yes. I tried FAT-32 and also MS-DOS

I'll make the changes to the files and try again.

Message 33 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

I reformatted the USB drive as MS-DOS (FAT) and copied/renamed the files as instructed--see below.

A.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm still getting Failed! error shortly after the NAS boots into USB Recovery mode.

Message 34 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

Tried USB recovery with a different thumb drive with the same result--Failed!

What's my next option?

Message 35 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

I can see my NAS and shares in ReadyCLOUD, and I see firmware update is available.

I'm tempted to give the upgrade a go since everything else seems to be failing.

Is this a crazy idea?

Message 36 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

I can also see and open the shares in my NAS in the browser interface.

Maybe I should attempt the firmware upgrade while the browser interface is active? 

Message 37 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

Something must have changed as a result of all the reboots and recovery attempts.

I can see my NAS and contents in ReadyCLOUD and my NAS and shares are available in the browser interface, including my apps (Transmission, qBittorent, Plex), and the apps are functional.

What's the quickest way to backup my NAS before initiating a firmware update?

Message 38 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@haigha wrote:

What's the quickest way to backup my NAS before initiating a firmware update?

Do you have enough storage to back it up?

Message 39 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH STORAGE TO BACK IT UP?

I have a 4TB USB drive that will accommodate all the data I want to backup.

Message 40 of 44
StephenB
Guru

@haigha wrote:

DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH STORAGE TO BACK IT UP?

I have a 4TB USB drive that will accommodate all the data I want to backup.

One option is to connect the disk to the NAS, and use one or more ReadyNAS backup jobs.  These would run unattended, so they wouldn't tie up your Mac.  You should double check that the files look ok before you proceed - one way to do that is to eject the disk, and connect it to the Mac for checking.  I recommend using a disk format that you can read on the Mac - NTFS is probably the best option for you.  One benefit here is that you can set up a schedule to update this backup automatically.

You can also connect the disk to your Mac, and transfer all the files over the network. It would be best if you could connect the Mac to your network with ethernet.  The benefit here is that you can use the native APFS formatting.  If you go this route, you should look for a transfer tool that can copy everything for you - FreeFileSync is one that might work.  Note I am not a Mac user, so this might not be the best choice.

Either way, you should put a backup plan in place going forward - RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 41 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

After multiple shutdowns/boots into OS re-install, I'm getting better access to my "broken" NAS, and I'm now able to backup my most valued files. The NAS is indicating that it's in backup status (blinking backup led), but I have no idea how many of my files have been backed up, and I don't want to interrupt the process. My first attempt at backup only backed up a limited number of files before the NAS dropped out of backup status. I was able to mount the USB drive I used for backup to my Mac and see and access the files that had been backed up. After rebooting into another OS re-install and initiating another backup, I noticed an error message in the browser access page. It looks like my number 1 drive is in the process of failing, so this may explain the NAS's erratic betahaviour, because the NAS OS is on the number 1 disk, as I understand it. I'm mentioning this in the hope this might help someone else in a similar predicament in the future.

NAS drive fail.jpg

Message 42 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

Just noticed the error is now identified as disk 4—looks like I may have 2 drives on the way out.

Message 43 of 44
haigha
Aspirant

Managed to back up my essential files, removed the failing drive and replaced with another, let the RAID rebuild then installed the most recent firmware update. Everything is now much more responsive.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements