× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 stuck in Boot from USB

azerva
Tutor

ReadyNAS 104 stuck in Boot from USB

Hello,

hoping someone can help me with this. My ReadyNAS 104 has been stuck in a Boot from USB failed! loop after a firmware update via web-management. I have followed the steps for the USB recovery, but after getting the message "Recovery Done" and powering off, it just goes directly into Boot from USB mode again.

It seems that I also cannot reach the boot menu to try an OS reinstall or anything like a reset, because those steps just don't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would be willing to pay for one-time support or something like that from Netgear, but it seems that that isn't even an option...

Thanks,

Alex

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 stuck in Boot from USB

Does disconnecting power for a while restore the boot menu?

Message 2 of 7
azerva
Tutor

Doesn't help, it was just disconnected for 30-45 minutes, just retried it now and no change, unfortunately.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You could purchase a support contract from Netgear, but I don't believe they offer one-time support anymore.

You'd do this by logging into my.netgear.com, and looking at your registered products list.  There should be "support options" next to the NAS, and if you click on that, one of the options should be "buy a support contract".

Perhaps first see if one of the mods chimes in ( @Marc_V or @JeraldM ).  Normally support logs in remotely, which I don't think will work if you can't boot up in tech support mode.

Did you manually copy the 6.10.7 ARM firmware to the USB image using the instructions at the bottom of the page here? https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Message 4 of 7
azerva
Tutor

I tried creating the Recovery USB with the windows app, as well as manually, still in the loop.

The only thing I did manage to get is, if I put in the USB stick without firmware on it (just the recovery files), after a while, the NAS goes into a mode where it says DEBUG:TELNET and shows me an IP address. But I wouldn't know what to do from there.

Message 5 of 7
azerva
Tutor

Anyone have any ideas, now that I manage to reach the debug:telnet state?

Thanks,

Alex

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like the backup button may be stuck, so it's always trying to do a USB recovery.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements