× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 - crashed and webportal is not accessible

uptown30
Guide

ReadyNAS 314 - crashed and webportal is not accessible

Hello,

After updating Egnyte Storage Sync from 6.9.3 to 6.9.4 over the holiday, the server came back up with the attached two errors.  The 4 drive die and I have initialed a replacement.  Right after I cleared the error message across the screen, the ReadyNAS did a restart and then I was unable to access the server again.  I can ping the IP but I can't access the admin portal.  We did a hard shutdown and restart this morning but still can't not access the admin portal.  The IP can be ping.  SSH did not work either.  The display panel shown Recover data 0.00% and after the hard shut down, it was still showing the same message.

What is your suggestion to try?  Re-installing the OS?

https://kb.netgear.com/22891/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-104-204-214-or-314

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 314 - crashed and webportal is not accessible

An OS reinstall probably won't do any harm, but I think it's very unlikely to help.  If the failed disk is still in the NAS, you should remove it, and test it in a Windows PC using WDC's lifeguard problem.  If that's the only failed disk, you can try booting up the NAS in read-only mode without it.

If read-only mode doesn't work, then I suggest contacting Netgear support.  If you purchased between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 you should have free chat support via my.netgear.com.  If that's not available to you, you could use paid support, or see if @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V have any guidance.

Another option is to do a factory default via the boot menu, rebuild the NAS and recover the data from your backup.

Message 2 of 9
uptown30
Guide

Thank you for your speedy reply.  We do have backup via over the cloud but it will take days to sync up.  I recall performing the steps to recreate RAID 5 but its been a while.  Can you please provide a brief blurb on the steps?

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@uptown30 wrote:

I recall performing the steps to recreate RAID 5 but its been a while.  Can you please provide a brief blurb on the steps?

If the NAS boots w/o the failed disk, all you need to do is insert a new blank drive in slot 4.  I recommend doing that with the NAS running, but it should work either way.

Do a local backup before you insert the new drive (at least of the critical data). 

Message 4 of 9
uptown30
Guide

We don't have the 4th drive yet.  I will try booting the server without it.  It was purchased in March 2016 so it is not qualify for any free support except paid service.

Message 5 of 9
uptown30
Guide

Is there any particular way to boot the NAS in "read-only" mode by the way?  Or is it just a shut down, take the dead drive out and boot it up again?

I forgot to mention after the first hard shutdown and start up, I can't get to the admin portal but the page will not load. 

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@uptown30 wrote:

Is there any particular way to boot the NAS in "read-only" mode by the way? 

Yes.  See pages 39-40 in the hardware manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN%20OS%206%20Desktop%20HW%20UM_15Oct2013.pd...

@uptown30 wrote:

I forgot to mention after the first hard shutdown and start up, I can't get to the admin portal but the page will not load. 

The failed disk might be interfering (particularly if the system is trying to resync it).  Or it might be an issue related to Egynte.

Perhaps see if read-only without disk 4 gets you access to the data.  If you can get that and make a local backup then the data is safe - and we can figure out the fastest path to get the NAS back on-line.

Message 7 of 9
uptown30
Guide

The server came back up after pulling the dead drive out.  We did not have to get to start it in Read-Only mode.  Will get in touch with Egnyte to get help to access the data.  Do you think we can add the new drive in safely at this point (when it ship to us)?

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@uptown30 wrote:

The server came back up after pulling the dead drive out.  We did not have to get to start it in Read-Only mode.  

Read-only mode would have been safer, as it would have blocked any attempt by the Nas to repair the file system (which risks doing damage).  However, you got away with using read/write mode.

@uptown30 wrote:

Do you think we can add the new drive in safely at this point (when it ship to us)?

Make a backup first (ideally this would be done before you allow writes to the NAS).  If a second disk has issues you will lose all your data.

Then get the web ui working before you replace the disk.

@uptown30 wrote:

Will get in touch with Egnyte to get help to access the data.  

I think you meant "access the Web UI".  Is that correct?

Note it could also be an issue that Netgear support needs to resolve.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements