× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 needs rebooting

JVand
Star

ReadyNAS 314 needs rebooting

I occasionally (increasing to frequently) have to force a restart of my ReadyNAS 314 with the following symptoms.

- The shares are accessible from within my home network

- The management interface (frontview?) is not.  I get to the Netgear splash screen but it will go no further.

- Nothing is accessible from off the network via ReadyCloud.

- When I try a physical restart (with the button) the screen says it is shutting down but never does.  There is nothing left at this point other than holding the button in until it shuts down.  Everything then works for a week or so until the problem reoccurs.

I have tried reinstalling the firmware as per this procedure https://kb.netgear.com/22891/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-104-204-214-or-314 but the problem has come back again.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks

Model: RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

This could be a full OS partition.  Can you try getting the log zip file?  Look in volume.log  - scrolling down to the section that starts with df -h 

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G  955M  2.7G  26% /
tmpfs           1.9G  8.0K  1.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.9G   11M  1.9G   1% /run
tmpfs           961M   31M  931M   4% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

/dev/md0 is the OS partition.  As you can see, if you don't use apps it will be about 25% full.

While you are looking at the log, check the disk health also (the most important SMART stats are also stored here).

Message 2 of 8
JVand
Star

Thanks for your prompt response StephenB. I've investigated the volume.log file and it suggestes that the OS partition is 31% full so I presume this is not the problem.

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        4.0G  1.2G  2.5G  31% /
tmpfs           993M     0  993M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           993M  5.3M  988M   1% /run
tmpfs           497M  1.6M  495M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           993M     0  993M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127      5.5T  2.0T  3.5T  37% /data
/dev/md127      5.5T  2.0T  3.5T  37% /apps
/dev/md127      5.5T  2.0T  3.5T  37% /home
/dev/sdf1       1.9T  643G  1.2T  35% /media/USB_HDD_2

I'm not sure what I am looking for in terms of disk health so I've uploaded the volume log file in PDF format (as I am not allowed to attach a .log or .txt file) in the hope that you might be able to have a look and identify something.  Much appreciated.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The disk health looks ok, and as you say it's not a full OS partition.

Perhaps put the log zip into cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc), and send a private message to the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) asking if they can analyze them.  Put a link to the zip in the PM, don't post it publically.

You send a PM by clicking on the envelope link in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 4 of 8
JVand
Star

Thanks StephenB.  I have contacted @JohnCM_S as you suggested.

Message 5 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JVand,

We checked the logs but we did not see any real reason why the NAS was behaving as you described. Can you turn on the SDM (secure diagnostic mode), then provide to me the 5-digit code. Let us know when the NAS is having the problem so we can take a look at it before you do a reboot.

Regards,
Message 6 of 8
JVand
Star

Hi JohnCM_S

Diagnostic mode is now enabled and the port number is 59098.  Everything appears to be functioning correctly at the moment but I will let you know when it's not.  It may be a number of days.

Message 7 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JVand,

This is noted. Feel free to notify me if you encounter the issue again so we can take a look on your NAS.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements