× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 316 Expansion

Alibear30
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 316 Expansion

I have a ReadyNAS 316 with 6 x 3TB drives in it, setup as a single volume.
I have added an expansion chassis to it with 5 x 3TB drives in it.
I would like to expand the existing volume to include the new drives but can't find any instructions on how to do this.
The software manuals says that the volume will expand horizontally automatically when new drives are added but this has not happened.
It's showing the new drives as a separate volume. Both volumes show as RAID5 X-RAID
Is the because I'm trying to larger than the 16TB Volume limit?
ETA I think it's running OS6 and firmware is up to date 6.2.2
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 316 Expansion

There is no 16 TB volume limit with your NAS.

However, spanning a volume across the two chassis is not a good idea anyway. If anything disrupts the connection between them (or the power to one of the two units), you could end up losing the volume integrity.
Message 2 of 5
Alibear30
Aspirant

Thanks for the speedy reply and I can see your point about power.
But if I wanted to, how would I go about expanding the volume?

Or is there anyway I can present 2 separate volumes as one share as I'm getting grief from users about having to look in too many different places for their files.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suggest living with having multiple volumes or getting higher capacity disks e.g. 6TB ones.
Message 4 of 5
rovingmedic
Tutor

There is an option to link to a remote share. Check out "Manage Access to Remote Shared Folders" on page 54 of the RN OS software manual (ReadyNAS_OS_6.2_SW_UM_10dec2014.pdf).
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements