× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3200 - Expansion of capacity in X-Raid2

Goppels84
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3200 - Expansion of capacity in X-Raid2

Hello everybody,

I use a ReadyNAS 3200 with RAIDiator 4.2.30. The NAS is equipped with 12 hard disks. We had installed 6 x 1TB hard drives and 6 x 2TB hard drives up to a few days ago. This gives a total memory capacity of 9223 GB in X-Raid2.

I have now increased the storage capacity by replacing the 6 x 1 TB hard disks with 6 x 2 TB hard disks. So now have 12 x 2 TB in my NAS. I have the 6 disks all individually from the NAS and removed the resynchronization. All hard disks are installed correctly and are displayed correctly. My problem is that the total memory size still 9223 GB are displayed. I had actually expected here with more storage capacity.

What did I do wrong? Does anyone know a solution to the problem?

Thank you so much!
Michael Goppelsröder

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 3200 - Expansion of capacity in X-Raid2

There are two limitations to OS 4.2.x expansion

-a volume cannot grow over 16 TiB

-a volume cannot grow more than 8 TiB from its initial size.

You likely exceeded the second limit in your first expansion.  6x1TB+6x2TB single redundancy would have given you 16 TB not ~10.

Your second expansion would have exceeded both limits.

The solution is to do a factory reset with all disks in place, and restore the data.

Personally I wouldn't use a 12 TB RAID-6 array.   I'd go with flexraid, and create two RAID-5 volumes of 6x2TB each. Though you could do RAID-6 with a single volume, I think you'll get better performance wth two RAID 5 volumes.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements