× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 526X

Sac93
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 526X

Hi Guys, 

I had intalled 8TB X 3 hard drives earlier, now i want to install 3 more hard drives. If i add the hard drive now will it effect the old data?

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 12
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi,

What is RAID level set to? X-RAID?

If so, X-RAID will just expand your RAID automatically when inserting the additional disk, without you needing to do anything else. Also, your current data will be intact, however you should always keep a backup just in case!

Insert the new disks one at a time and let it sync --> then insert the next drive, etc.

Cheers

Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

You might consider adding the last disk for redundancy (which would give your RAID-6).  You'd have 32 TB of storage instead of 40, but protection against two disk failures.

Message 3 of 12
Sac93
Aspirant

Thank you Hopchen,

So can i expand the present volume without any data loss?

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sac93 wrote:

So can i expand the present volume without any data loss?

Yes, just follow the procedure @Hopchen gave you.  You can hot-insert the disks, there is no need to shut down the NAS.

Message 5 of 12
Sac93
Aspirant

Sorry, I meant to say, can i expand any of the current partition without any data loss?

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sac93 wrote:

Sorry, I meant to say, can i expand any of the current partition without any data loss?

I don't know what you mean by "partition".  The disks will be added to your existing data volume if you follow the procedure @Hopchen gave you.  

There normally isn't any data loss.  But if disks fail during the resync, the volume isn't protected - so I always do recommend a backup before manipulating disks.

Message 7 of 12
Sac93
Aspirant

We had created 3 folders to share with our team, now can i expand the volume of one of these folder which i like?

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sac93 wrote:

We had created 3 folders to share with our team, now can i expand the volume of one of these folder which i like?

A volume is a virtual disk - all three of your shares are on that disk.  

So you don't expand the space for a specific share,  the space is pooled (and can be used by any share).

Message 9 of 12
a_m_ariga
Aspirant

How to expand existing shared volume size after adding additional disks into readynas526x
Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 10 of 12
Sac93
Aspirant

I just xpanded shared volume 12 hrs back. it worked 🙂 without any data loss.

eg; if you have 3 shared volumes  and if you want to expand one of them. just try expanding 1 folder which is smaller in size.

if you dont have one smaller volume then create one to test( 100GB) and copy some file into it. and expand it to 120 GB and keep raising several time. and see whether it works fine or not( mainly check the files you copied to it).

If your test is successfull then please raise the main voulme you want to expand.

To expand volume click on settings icon and settings again settings/properties and in properties you can see the size, Quota ___TB/GB

Here you expand the existing folder with files.

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sac93 wrote:

eg; if you have 3 shared volumes  and if you want to expand one of them. just try expanding 1 folder which is smaller in size.

I think you are confused on the difference between a volume and a share (shared folder). A volume is a virtual disk.  With XRAID you only have one volume, with FlexRAID you can have more than one.  Each volume can have multiple shared folders (called "shares" here).

Shares can have quotas which limit their size - that is often useful, but it isn't the same as expansion.  Expansion only applies to volumes.

Volume expansion can horizontal (adding a new disk to the volume) or vertical (upgrading disks in the volume with larger ones).

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements