× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2110, cannot get Raidar to start

Hugaligen
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo RND2110, cannot get Raidar to start

Hello, I re-installed Windows (10 64bit) and now I cannot start Raidar. I tried both 4.3.8 and 6.5. Both give same error:

"The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution."

I tried starting as Administrator.

I checked that JVM is installed, it is: 

java 10.0.1 2018-04-17
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10, mixed mode)

I checked that Windows Defender did not stop it.

Now I have run out of ideas, please help me solve this.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Hugaligen wrote:

Hello, I re-installed Windows (10 64bit) and now I cannot start Raidar. I tried both 4.3.8 and 6.5. Both give same error:

"The JVM could not be started. The maximum heap size might be too large or an antivirus or firewall tool could block the execution."

The newest version I got to work was Java 8.  In particular, this binary worked correctly:

No idea if you'll neet to remove the existing JVM before you install this or not.

Message 2 of 6
Hugaligen
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer. I switched to jre8u211 (and verified with java --version) and tried again but the 4.3.8 version still gave the same error. The 6.5 version however started but it said that it could not find any NAS devices..

This is an old ReadyNas, maybe it is not compatible with the new 6.5 raidar?

I am thinking of plugging one of the Raid0 drives into an Ubuntu box and see if I can access it from there, any advice on that? I read that it can be tricky since the drives has 16bit block size.

Message 3 of 6
Hugaligen
Aspirant

I found the Raidar version I used on the computer before I reinstalled Win10, which was working then. It actually comes with a bundled JRE (jre7), it has .install4j and jre subfolders. But when I try to run this version I get the same error as with the 4.3.8 version.

I mounted the leftmost drive in Ubuntu, I can see the disk and partitions but I cannot mount it. I even tried the method here https://superuser.com/questions/1031283/how-to-get-the-data-off-of-a-readynas-drive

But it says it cannot access the disk on the last step..

I really need to get to the content of this disk, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 4 of 6
Hugaligen
Aspirant

I managed to mount the drive now using fuseext2, thank you for the help.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Hugaligen wrote:

Thank you for the answer. I switched to jre8u211 (and verified with java --version) and tried again but the 4.3.8 version still gave the same error. The 6.5 version however started but it said that it could not find any NAS devices..

FWIW, I installed this version of Java myself on Win10 laptop wiht 16 GB Ram not long ago, and it did work with 4.3.8.

@Hugaligen wrote:

This is an old ReadyNas, maybe it is not compatible with the new 6.5 raidar?

It will show up in 6.5.  What won't work is setting up flexraid.  That requires 4.3.8.

@Hugaligen wrote:

I am thinking of plugging one of the Raid0 drives into an Ubuntu box and see if I can access it from there, any advice on that? I read that it can be tricky since the drives has 16bit block size.

Must have been RAID-1, since you were able to get the data off.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements