× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ V1 Drive Failure

dbasham
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ V1 Drive Failure

I had one of my 1.5 TB drives fail on my ReadyNAS NV+ V1 chassis on Sunday. The green light is blinking on drive 2 and the LCD on the front indicates the failure when I push the power button so I know it failed.

We do not have central air in our how and this NAS has been acting funky in my office the past few weeks when it gets hot (above 80) in my office. By funky I mean that we lose the connection on the network and can not longer ping it, get to the drives or access the admin interface. When this occurs, a power cord pull is the only thing that fixes it. In these high thermal conditions the box was failing/hanging about once a day and I was also seeing increasing drive SMART warnings in the logs.

I suspected that this might be a problem with heat so I got a small fan and have it blowing across the back. After I put the fan in everything was running fine for about 4 days until the drive fails. Now, I can no longer ping it, etc as above.

So, what I am wondering is whether I should pull the 2nd drive and plug a new one in to see if it will initialize and synch. However, I'm not sure how I would know it is working since I can't get to the admin interface, ping it or see any mapped drives.

My question is - is it safe to power this down by pulling the power plug and THEN pull drive 2 and replace it with the new drive and then plug the power back in and power it up with the front button? I want to make sure before I do anything which might risk data loss. I am 95% sure that the NAS is hung anyway and likely wouldn't initialize the disk even if I hot swapped it. Obviously I will try to power it down cleanly first (haven't fully tried that yet) but if that doesn't work is it ok (I know NOT 100% recommend) to pull the plug and swap the drives cold? Thoughts?
--Denny
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ V1 Drive Failure

If you can't safely shut the NAS down you will have to force power it down.

Do you have a backup?
Message 2 of 7
dbasham
Aspirant

Swapped drive for a new Western Digital Red 2 TB NAS drive and so far (after power pull and start) it shows drive as dead. Shouldn't it be initialing the drive? This is a BRAND NEW drive from WD. Is it possible that the drive slot in the NAS is bad?
Message 3 of 7
dbasham
Aspirant

Never mind - I did a graceful shutdown after the power down and boot and disk 2 now shows init. Hopefully the other drives hang in the but I think it is time to replace the other 3 drives with WD Red 2 TB drives (they are Seagate drives that are about 4 years old and used heavily).
Message 4 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have a backup?
Message 5 of 7
dbasham
Aspirant

NO I do not have a backup but we will be copying off our important files once the synch finishes.
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

dbasham wrote:
NO I do not have a backup but we will be copying off our important files once the synch finishes.
You should consider putting a backup plan in place after you get through this, and implement regular backups.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements