× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ will not Power On

tbh999
Star

ReadyNAS NV+ will not Power On

Model: RNV2-S2-0000
Purchased: 02 November 2006

Just before heading out for vacation, I powered down my NV+ through the web interface and shutdown my LAN. When I got back today, and tried to power up the NV+, nothing happens. There is zero activity (nothing on the front and no "Blinking" from the LAN port LED's on the back). I pulled the unit out and tried a new power cord and a different plug (uncase it was a problem with my UPS), it's still as active as a brick.

This is an older NV+ purchased back in November 2006, The firmware is, I think, up to date, but it's kind-of hard to report what it is when it won't power-up to check...

Any idea's?
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So it has a LCD display on the front and is definitely a NV+ not the NV?

If it was the NV I would suggest looking at http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/i_ve_enabled_the_schedule_power_timer_option_on_my_nv_but_now_i_...

You could try removing the PSU and checking for damage: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/how_do_i_replace_the_stock_power_supply_on_the_readynas_nv

Is the serial number of your unit in this range?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10259
Message 2 of 6
tbh999
Star

Yes, it's an NV+ with the chromed over LCD display.

I have never used the power scheduler option because of this issue (also, because I use it with my Squeeze box to stream music 24/7, so, I typically never shut it down).

Yes, my s/n is within that range, and I went through this back in 2007ish (as if I remember when I did it...) and reversed the direction of the fan.

I have opened the unit, and there are no obvious arcing, but three of the capacitors (a 3300uF, a 2200uf and a smaller one that I can't read) may be bulging on top.

The odd thing is that it was working fine, it's not like I came home and found it not on, I shut it down, but, it won't re-start...
Message 3 of 6
tbh999
Star

Also, from a previous post back on 14 June 2007:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10873&start=15

tbh999 wrote:
I recently started having the same problem with disc 3 and received 24 emails this evening from my NV+ telling me that disc 3 had reached warning temperture (55°C)...Then I started to think, I have never had an alarm until I flip the fan around because of the power supply over heating issue.

So, I flipped the fan back to blowing out and the disc 3 temp dropped from 55°C to 50°C in about 15 minutes. Time will see if the over temp alarms go away. Note: I did install the power supply fan speed fix too.

Sorry is was a long time a go...

So, I flipped the fan, and then, flipped it back and installed the speed patch (because of an overheating HD).
Message 4 of 6
tbh999
Star

Well, I've contacted tech support (Case No. 17898527). But have received no reply (other than a "additional time is necessary to effectively process your request" email four days ago). In the mean time I'm down hard and the natives are getting restless. So, now I guess I'm shopping for a new NAS just to get me back up and running...
Message 5 of 6
tbh999
Star

It looks like there may be an issue with the NetGEAR customer support system. When I go to the Online Support Submissions page on the NetGEAR Service portal, is shows my Case No., but when I click on it, it says that "The case can not be found!" So, I have opened a second Case No. asking what every happened to the first ticket, if I get an email response (to a real person) I can send them all the details again if need be.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements