× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN104 Disk Spindown Questions

Shoober
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 Disk Spindown Questions

Hi I am new to this site and new to NAS systems.
I have 2 ReadyNAS RN104 boxes each running 4x4TB in JBOD mode on the most recent firmware 6.2.2. I have configured my disk spindown after 180 mins of inactivity. I have three questions:

1) Is it possible to get an email alert when the disks spindown and when they spinup?
2) Is it possible to view/download the logs without spinning up the disks?
3) Is it possible to configure the disk spindown inactivity time depending on the time of day? I.e. between 7am and midnight I would like inactivity time to be 3 hours and between midnight and 7am I would like the inactivity time to be 5 mins.

Thank you in Advance.
Message 1 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 Disk Spindown Questions

1. Not at present. How would you respond to such an alert? Spindown is logged in its own log if that's what you need.
2. I think at least one disk will be spun up to read the disk and collate the logs.
3. Not at present. I think it is commendable that Netgear have allowed users to disable spindown during periods of the day. Perhaps you could disable it when you want a 3 hour spindown threshold
Message 2 of 6
Shoober
Aspirant

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

BTW, for the email alert; I would like to know the disks are spinning up or down just for peace of mind.

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

You could periodically check the spindown.log to verify that the disks are in fact spinning down and when.
Message 4 of 6
Shoober
Aspirant

Yes, I will check the log periodically.

Is there an official way for the public to request enhancements from Netgear?
Message 5 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements