× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 Management services offline (fw = 6.5.0)

Wizliz
Tutor

ReadyNAS RN104 Management services offline (fw = 6.5.0)

Been running flawless since 2014. Suddenly RN104 was found in hung state!

Current firmware installed = 6.5.0

AV disabled

All 4 HDD Green OK

Unit responding to ping <1ms 100%

Unable to login to admin page (page time out)

Unable to mounts NFS

Unable to see SMB shares

Unable to access FTP

Unable to access SSH (disabled)

Unable to download logs via RAIDar (Download process failed)

Diagnostic shows no errors found

Have tried manually to do OS reinstall as per instructions but so far no cigar. Display says "Booting" then nothing happens. Factory Wipe is NOT an option.

What to do next?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Wizliz
Tutor

System is now back up n running!

Problem was that ReadyNAS OS had run out of space due to syslog files. I got remote help from Netgear support to solve the issue. Normally theese logs are supposedly cleared/wiped when doing FW upgrade, but apparantly this was not the case.

I have also bought another RN104 which will be used as remote site backup.

All personal data was intact, so i dont have to sleep in the doghouse anymore. 🙂

Now i will replicate all data to the new unit.

Case closed

View solution in original post

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 11 of 11

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Wizliz,

Welcome to the community!

Can you try if you can boot up your unit in 'Volume Read-only' mode? If yes, backup your data via SMB and extract the logs.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
Wizliz
Tutor

Hi Brian

Thank you for reply

I´m in read only mode now, but same situation, unable to browse SMB and download of logfiles is not working in RAIDar. Please advise.

Message 3 of 11
Wizliz
Tutor

Anyone else has a suggestion? I really need to get the system up'n running with data intact.

This Netgear NAS contains large amounts of precious family pictures and videos accumulated for many years, so loss of data is not an option.

To me this seems to be a Netgear OS bug introduced in the v6.5.0 fw hence a problen like this should be included and officially adressed for free by Netgear support.

AFAIK all HW is OK and no changes where made to the system after the recommended fw update was performed, i was not even at home when it stopped working a few days after the upgrade! 😞

Would it help if i transfer all four HDD to a similar RN104 or would the raid set be owerwritten/wiped?
Message 4 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Wizliz,

Sorry for the late response. Aside from getting help support and paying them, you can try and put your HDDs on a similar RN104 unit with the same firmware running. I suspect that there might be a problem with a drive or two on your system and more likely you will get the same behavior. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
Wizliz
Tutor

Hi

I am now running disk diagnostic which will take several hours. I personally beleive all my drives are 100% working there are no errors on any of my drives. I have alerts notifications configured which previously have worked perfect when the occasional drive have failed and then been replaced.

So...

If i create the ReadyNAS OS 6: USB Recovery Tool, can/should i remove/pull out my 4 HDDs and try a FW upgrade (to 6.5.1) with no disks inserted? And if/when FW 6.5.1 upgrade is succesful then power down and reinsert my data disks in the same slot as before or will all RAID information with my data be wiped???

Message 6 of 11
omicron_persei8
Luminary

Usb boot recovery is to rewrite the flash. That or os reinstall won't the data volume. But usb boot recovery is not necessarily what you should do next.
Have you tried contacting NETGEAR support?
Message 7 of 11
Wizliz
Tutor

I have not been in touch with netgear support yet, i will do that next week if i am unable to solve the problem.

My reasoning for wanting to try to upgrade flash is due to the fact that my unit is not booting correctly any more. That happend shortly after the fw 6.5.0 was installed. Since RAIDar cant download the log files i can only guess what the problem is, but what i do know is that the management services are no longer starting and a 6.5.0 OS reinstall did not help, nor did booting into read only mode help, the unit only displays "booting" and is unmanageable via https. I have not tried tech support mode yet, dont know if there are any voodo options in there or not.

I normally administers enterprise NFS storage systems at work in a multitenant vSphere environment with Netcrap (currently beeing phased out) and Tintri vm-aware storage -by far the number one Hypervisor storage on the market imho, so i have "some" experience after running vmware enterprise production systems since 1998. 😉

Message 8 of 11
Wizliz
Tutor

ok, so here are the latest attempts.

Firmware upgrade is applied as per the USB boot procedure followed with a power off. But when restarting i briefly see an error flash by saying something like "readynas error could not properly extract" and after that it gets stuck in "booting"...

Now i have restarted and then entered Tech Support Mode. Reported firmware is v6.5.1 with debug code: 60138 whatever that means?

It´s now getting way past midnight, so i will stop here for today hoping some of you netgear gurus might share some more of your wisdom. 🙂

Cheers

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Wizliz wrote:

Now i have restarted and then entered Tech Support Mode. Reported firmware is v6.5.1 with debug code: 60138 whatever that means?

Tech support mode is for remote netgear support. You need to communicate the debug code to Netgear as part of the support process.
Message 10 of 11
Wizliz
Tutor

System is now back up n running!

Problem was that ReadyNAS OS had run out of space due to syslog files. I got remote help from Netgear support to solve the issue. Normally theese logs are supposedly cleared/wiped when doing FW upgrade, but apparantly this was not the case.

I have also bought another RN104 which will be used as remote site backup.

All personal data was intact, so i dont have to sleep in the doghouse anymore. 🙂

Now i will replicate all data to the new unit.

Case closed

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements