× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Replicate SLOW on initial replication

rclementtx
Guide

ReadyNAS Replicate SLOW on initial replication

Folks,

I'm new to Replicate and have done a few test runs with it.  I am finding it really SLOW in terms of replicating files between 2 servers, RN314 and RN316, both connected to my LAN.  Both are operating under OS6.4.2 firmware.  Network performance statistic shows transfer rates of 500 KB per second, which is much slower than my system is capable of.

As I examine Replicate logs I'm finding the following note on all jobs

Connection Method 4

Using relayed connection; Consider using port forwarding

I'm presuming that the replication process is acting as if my 2 boxes are at remote locations vs. being on the same network, and thus all transfers are taking place thru ReadyNAS servers vs being within my LAN.

For reference they are both plugged into a Netgear Prosafe 16 port Gigabit Switch (with 1GB connection LEDs enabled) (2 LAN connections per machine).  The switch is plugged into a FIOS Actiontec M1424WR Router.

I have ReadyNas Remote enabled on both devices in default mode.  I can "find" these devices with no problems when I look at them (and their files) with ReadyCloud app on my iPad and iPhone.

As I examine the Port Forwarding table on the Actiontec router, there is no entry for ReadyNas Remote or ReadyNas Replicate - I can find entries ofr ReadyNas Photo (which works well).

Any help on how to solve this speed issue on initial replication (which at the curren rate will take several weeks to replicate my approximate 3 TB files) would be most appreciated.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay,RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
rclementtx
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS Replicate SLOW on initial replication

Let me close out this post and confirm that my attempt to plug double LAN cables into an unmanaged switch without bonding protocols caused this dramatic slowdown in Replicate performance.  I had an extended call with Netgear technical support on this topic this morning and the Level 2 tech rep explained in detail what happens when two LAN cables are attached to each NIC port on the ReadyNAS.  Refer to this article for more info ... http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23076/~/what-are-bonded-adapters-and-how-do-they-work-...

I've removed double cables on all of my boxes and all are operating as anticipated.  

This item is now closed.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

@rclementtx wrote:

Connection Method 4

Using relayed connection; Consider using port forwarding

I'm presuming that the replication process is acting as if my 2 boxes are at remote locations vs. being on the same network, and thus all transfers are taking place thru ReadyNAS servers vs being within my LAN.

That's right, it means that a direct P2P connection could not be established between both NASes and that NETGEAR's Replicate Server has to relay the data between both NASes. So yeah, that's gonna be slow. In your case, you should see something like "Using LAN connection".

To narrow down the source of the issue, could you make sure that there is no Firewall policies blocking traffic for these two NASes? This is othen related to Firewall.

Or ACLs on your switch? Is the switch a dumb switch, ProSage Plus, Smart switch?

Could you try to temporarilly add Firewall exceptions to completely allow outbound traffic (allow inbound, but no port forwarding - don't overlook security even when troubleshooting), & make sure there are no ACLs.

In case, they're not far from each other, you could also try to connect both switches to the same dumb switch, to confirm it's not related to the switch.

Ultimately, you can try a packet capture on Wireshark (and port mirroring) to see if you're missing packets somewhere.

@rclementtx wrote:

(with 1GB connection LEDs enabled

I presume you mean 1Gbps (it might sound obvious, but it makes a big difference :D)

Message 2 of 8
rclementtx
Guide

Thanks for the response.  You are tossing around abbreviations that are a bit beyond me ... so here's what I've done - completely turned off the firewall in the Router to the point were inbound policy and outbound policy were both "accept".

Then ran my sample replicate job again.  Extract of the report showed same situation ... 

[2016-05-16 15:31:18] [Info] Resume folder is "/data/Replicate_AG_Houston/Test 314 to 316/2016-05-16 14-58/data"

[2016-05-16 15:31:19] [Info] p2p connect to nas-E6-85-36_dcXQQ in 11681505 network

[2016-05-16 15:31:57] [Info] Connection method: 4

[2016-05-16 15:31:57] [Warning] Using a relayed connection, consider setting up port forwarding

[2016-05-16 15:31:57] [Info] LAN connection not available

[2016-05-16 15:31:57] [Info] Using p2p connection

Then checked following windows under Firewall on Router

"Access Control" options on Firewall page - (Block access to internet services) - no devices identified.

"Port Forwarding" page - have port forwarding rules in place for ReadyNas Photo II in place - 2 for one NAS / 1 for the other - opening ports 10001-10003

"DMZ Host" page - "allow single networked device to be fully exposed to internet" - no IP numbers listed

"Port triggering" - 2 entries as follows 

ProtocolOutgoing Trigger PortsIncoming Ports to OpenAction

L2TP Triggering - Layer Two Tunneling Protocol

UDP Any -> 1701UDP Any -> Same as Initiating Ports

TFTP Triggering - Trivial File Transfer Protocol

UDP 1024-65535 -> 69UDP Any -> Same as Initiating Ports

Static NAT and Advanced Filtering - no entries in place.

Suggestions?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay,RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 3 of 8
rclementtx
Guide

By the way - dumb, unmanaged switch in place.  Therefore no policies on it that should preclude port to port communication

Message 4 of 8
rclementtx
Guide

Just tried an experiment - seems to have worked.  I had dual LAN cables plugged into each of the LAN ports on each NAS.  Removed one cable per box so that only one connection existed.  Appear to have set up local connection as a result.

[2016-05-16 16:06:28] [Info] p2p connect to nas-E6-85-36_dcXQQ in 11681505 network

[2016-05-16 16:06:31] [Info] Connection method: 2

[2016-05-16 16:06:31] [Info] LAN connection available

[2016-05-16 16:06:31] [Info] Get LAN credentials

Will try more extensive replicate action now that I appear to have LAN communications and advise of results.

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@rclementtx wrote:

Just tried an experiment - seems to have worked.  I had dual LAN cables plugged into each of the LAN ports on each NAS.  Removed one cable per box so that only one connection existed.  Appear to have set up local connection as a result.

[2016-05-16 16:06:28] [Info] p2p connect to nas-E6-85-36_dcXQQ in 11681505 network

[2016-05-16 16:06:31] [Info] Connection method: 2

[2016-05-16 16:06:31] [Info] LAN connection available

[2016-05-16 16:06:31] [Info] Get LAN credentials

Will try more extensive replicate action now that I appear to have LAN communications and advise of results.

That's interesting.

When you say you a have "dual LAN cables", do you mean that both Ethernet interfaces of both NASes are connected to the network? to the same network (like on the same unmanaged switch)?

In my experience, having two Ethernet interfaces in the same subnet is rarely useful but sometimes source of issues, especially if you have a default gateway set on both.

(At least for troubleshooting purposes) Could you try to connect both NICs (Network Interface) as you had before but make sure there is only one default gateway? If you're using DHCP IP, on one of the two NICs, set the same IP as leased by DHCP Server, but as static. If you're using static IP, on one of the two NICs, empty the gateway field and save.

Message 6 of 8
rclementtx
Guide

Yes - when I say "dual LAN cables" - I mean a cable in both of the LAN ports on the NAS going to adjacent ports on the ProSafe Switch - which in turn is driven off of the Router gateway.  

Now for your requested experiment - first off, I did all of my base line replication on one LAN cable per NAS to the Switch.  Transfer speeds were in the range of 50-60MB/sec.  Got 300-400 GB of files moved in a few hours - about at the rate expected and pretty much consisent with the RSYNC backup to an adjacent server.  A good outcome.

Next (at your suggestion), I plugged back in the second of each cables to the open LAN port on each NAS (tieing both to the ProSafe Switch).  Set the reattached LAN to a static IP address (same as assigned while in DHCP mode).  Relaunched Replicate.  The transfer went back to Connection Method #4 - using Relayed Connection.  When I checked transfer rates, they once again dropped to about 500KB/sec, compared to a rate approximatedly 100X faster when single LAN cable is attached to each box.

I think we can conclusively conclude that connecting 2 LAN cables to a router is the source of my problem that started this thread.  And I think we can conclude that Replicate works, as advertised, in the initial replication effort as long as we don't double up on the LAN connections to the local network.

Many thanks for the intellectual contribution here.

Message 7 of 8
rclementtx
Guide

Let me close out this post and confirm that my attempt to plug double LAN cables into an unmanaged switch without bonding protocols caused this dramatic slowdown in Replicate performance.  I had an extended call with Netgear technical support on this topic this morning and the Level 2 tech rep explained in detail what happens when two LAN cables are attached to each NIC port on the ReadyNAS.  Refer to this article for more info ... http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23076/~/what-are-bonded-adapters-and-how-do-they-work-...

I've removed double cables on all of my boxes and all are operating as anticipated.  

This item is now closed.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements