× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 upgrade

tuvok78
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 upgrade

Hi all, I have a readynas ultra 2, with 2x2TB disks, I would to upgrade to os6 if it is possible. 

Is there a guide?

tuvok78_0-1696928618194.png

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@tuvok78 wrote:

I have a readynas ultra 2, with 2x2TB disks, I would to upgrade to os6 if it is possible. 

Is there a guide?

I recommend increasing the RAM before you begin.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your ReadyNAS only has 1 GB.  It might work, but there have been a lot of folks who have run into out-of-memory issues after converting.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do.  If you aren't sure what to purchase, you can open the chassis and examine the RAM that's already installed in order to find something compatible.

Also, if you have the skills, you should probably back up the VPD before conversion.  There can be VPD corruption. Backing it up would allow you to resolve the issue on your own if you run into it.  More information on this is here:

The conversion steps are:

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you do want to update the BIOS it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6. (https://kb.netgear.com/000065653/ReadyNAS-OS-Software-Version-6-10-9 ).  check-for-updates will work, but will likely only give you 6.10.8.
  7. Restore files from the backup.

There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Note that if you ever need to do a USB recovery later on, you will need to use the procedure for 4.2 systems - substituting an OS-6 image for the 4.2.31 one.

Message 2 of 9
tuvok78
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer.

I will open the NAS in order to understand what kind of ram I have to buy.

Are 2 GB sufficient? If I mount a 4GB dimm?

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

2GB is enough and you are unlikely to find a compatible 4GB module at a reasonable price.

Message 4 of 9
tuvok78
Aspirant

Hi all.

I found and bought the ram.

Two different modules, two different brands... no one works.

Just to be clear:

old sodimm: 1GB ASint DDRIII 1066 SSY3128M8-EAE1D 1206

new sodimm: 2GB ASing DDRIII 2GB-1066 SSZ3128M8-EAEEF

With new sodimm the NAS starts and keep to stay in a loop with fan at high speed. 

Is there something I need to do before to install the 2GB sodimm?

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The ASint DDRIII 2GB-1066 SSZ3128M8-EAEEF should definitely work.  I can only guess that it's not fully seated or is defective.  You didn't give the model of the other one you tried, so I can't say about it.

Message 6 of 9
tuvok78
Aspirant

ASint DDRIII 2GB-1066 SSZ3128M8-EAEEF didn't work, maybe because it is a 2Rx8 sodimm.

I had 2 sodimm, both not working. I sent them back.

Previous model tested: ‎Xusywdm 500270288, but honestly speaking I don't remeber if it was a 1Rx8 or a 2Rx8. 

I sent back also this last.

Now I am searching for another one, I will write here asap I will find.

Message 7 of 9
tuvok78
Aspirant

New RAM I found works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 8 of 9
thaboss
Aspirant

What RAM did you use?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors