× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - One disk dead, another comatose

patrick2525
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - One disk dead, another comatose

Hello,

Have a ReadNas Ultra 4 (RAIDiator 4.2.24) for about 3 years, with 4 1.5 TB harddisks (ST31500341AS).

Everything been running smooth and no issues, so I've gotten remiss in checking logs lately, until yesterday when I couldn't access any shares. Apparently Disk 2 went dead back in June and I didn't get an Alert email, then yesterday Disk 1 started having ATA errors. Even though it isn't listed as Dead in the log files, All my shares are unavailable and the status says Dead in Frontview for Disk 1 and 2. Log file is below, some redundant or irrelevant items snipped out.

I purchased new 2x 2TB disks today in hopes of replacing the dead disk (Disk 2) first, then the crippled disk (Disk 1). However, when I put the new disk into the ReadyNAS, it doesn't magically repair the array to it. The FrontView Health->Status lists both Disk 1 and Disk 2 as dead. Do I need to replace the bad disks with the same size disk? Any ideas what I can do?

Much thanks in advance!!
patrick

Fri Aug 23 17:41:40 HST 2013	ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 46 Current count: 62 <snipped>
Fri Aug 23 17:41:32 HST 2013 Detected increasing ATA errors on disk 1[ST31500341AS, 9VS1KPR8] 63 times in the past 30 days. <snipped>
Fri Aug 23 17:41:06 HST 2013 Volume scan failed to run properly.
Thu Aug 22 21:57:06 HST 2013 ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 38 Current count: 46 <snipped>
Thu Aug 22 21:57:04 HST 2013 Detected increasing ATA errors on disk 1[ST31500341AS, 9VS1KPR8] 47 times in the past 30 days. <snipped>
Thu Aug 22 21:27:54 HST 2013 ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 22 Current count: 38 <snipped>
Thu Aug 22 20:50:30 HST 2013 Alert test message has been sent. <THIS IS WHERE I NOTICED SOMETHING WRONG>
Thu Aug 22 07:29:06 HST 2013 ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 4 Current count: 22 <snipped>
Thu Aug 22 07:28:59 HST 2013 The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. <snipped>
Thu Aug 22 07:28:02 HST 2013 Volume scan failed to run properly.
Mon Aug 19 22:00:17 HST 2013 ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 0 Current count: 4 <snipped>
Tue Aug 13 05:00:17 HST 2013 Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 20 Current count: 21 <snipped>
Tue Aug 13 01:14:12 HST 2013 The on-line filesystem consistency check completed without errors for Volume C.
Tue Aug 13 01:00:02 HST 2013 The on-line filesystem consistency check has started for Volume C.
Mon Jul 29 01:00:02 HST 2013 Disk scrubbing skipped due to degraded OS volume. [Volume C]
Sat Jul 27 04:00:17 HST 2013 Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 3: Previous count: 4 Current count: 5 <snipped>
Mon Jul 22 01:00:01 HST 2013 Disk scrubbing skipped due to degraded OS volume. [Volume C]
Tue Jul 16 01:14:14 HST 2013 The on-line filesystem consistency check completed without errors for Volume C.
Tue Jul 16 01:00:02 HST 2013 The on-line filesystem consistency check has started for Volume C.
Fri Jun 14 04:00:31 HST 2013 Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 4: Previous count: 9 Current count: 10 <snipped>
Thu Jun 13 06:00:22 HST 2013 Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 106 Current count: 125 <snipped>
Wed Jun 12 22:26:44 HST 2013 Newly added disk has failed SMART test. Please check disk 2.
Wed Jun 12 22:25:42 HST 2013 Newly added disk has failed SMART test. Please check disk 2.
Wed Jun 5 07:32:39 HST 2013 Disk failure detected.
Wed Jun 5 04:00:22 HST 2013 Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 15 Current count: 59 <snipped>
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - One disk dead, another comatose

You will probably need to try cloning disk 1 using dd_rescue. Contact tech support (see the Online Submission link in my sig).
Message 2 of 9
patrick2525
Aspirant

Thanks for the lead - waiting for Netgear support to respond. It looks like dd_rescue is a unix/linux utility. Can your recommend a Windows utility?

Thanks!
patrick
Message 3 of 9
patrick2525
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm still waiting for netgear support to respond, in the meantime...

Can anyone provide guidance with ddrescue? I've rtfm'd and searched threads, but not sure what's going on since I'm not linux savvy. I'm attempting to rescue my 1.5 TB Disk 1 (/dev/sdc) to my new 2 TB HDD (/dev/sdc1). I booted up Knoppix and type the following:

ddrescue -d -f -r3 /dev/sdc /dev/sdc1 logfile

it seems to work fine until it gets to 4294 MB rescued and get the following error:

ddrescue: write error: No space left on device

At 4 Gb, I'm not sure where it was writing, but suspect it was some Knoppix partition, not the intended device. Do I need to explicity mount these devices? What format should the new drive be?

Thanks!
patrick
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Isn't /dev/sdc1 the first partition on /dev/sdc ?

So you are trying to clone the entire disk onto the 4GB OS partition.

The good disk you should be trying to clone to is probably /dev/sdd

readysecure1985 wrote:
you could always use knoppix to clone the drive to a known good drive, and then place it back in the device. Keep in mind that the known good drive should be on the HCL. After successfully cloning with knoppix, you can then place the good drive in the NAS and power on. If all goes well, it will be as though the drive did not have any issues.

Here is a simple guide to quickly recover a failed drive using dd_rescue.

I often have to deal with pesky failed drives, so here is a quick simple guide how to achieve this with a free Linux Live CD and a PC with two SATA connections.
I will be using a Knoppix 6.2 Live CD for this guide. Can be found at http://www.knoppix.net
Using dd_rescue command allows you to copy data from one drive to another block for block. This is especially useful for recovering a failed drive. Often when a drive fails, the drive is still accessible, it has just surpassed the S.M.A.R.T. error threshold. dd_rescue allows you to ignore the bad sectors and continue cloning the bad drive to a new healthy drive.

1) Connect your old drive and new drive to your PC
2) Boot up using your Linux live CD
3) Launch a terminal window.
4) Run fdisk -l to make sure the system sees both of the hard drives.
5) Run hdparm -i /dev/sdx on both of the drives to find which drive is your source drive and which drive is your destination drive
6) Once you know which drive is which you can start the clone process.

dd_rescue /dev/sdx(source disk) /dev/sdx(destination drive)
7) You will see the process start, just keep an eye on it, it might take a few hours for the clone job to finish, depending on the size of the drive.

Once the process is complete, there will be no notification, the transfer will just stop and you will see the terminal prompt again.

If you see a lot of errors or see that there is no more data being shown as succxfer: it means the drive got marked faulty by the kernel. At this point reboot the system and make sure you know which drive is which again, as it is possible they lettering might switch. Run the dd-rescue command again but this time with -r option. This will start the cloning again but this time will start from the back of the drive and will make sure to get the data that has not been cloned yet.
Message 5 of 9
patrick2525
Aspirant

Uh-oh... So /dev/sdc is the device, and /dev/sdc1 is the first partition on the device? I hope not, but if so then I'm not sure what it was copying to sdc1.

I pretty much followed the steps as you outlined, but steps 4 and 5 (fdisk and hdparm) gave confusing info about sdc1, so I figured it was referring to the new disk because it wasn't formatted and I didn't see any other devices listed. fdisk also gave problems for sdc saying that it couldn't give info since it was a GUID Partition.

I read on other forums that the source disk should not be mounted R/W otherwise the resulting copy would be useless... is that correct? If sdc1 is first partition on the /dev/sdc and there aren't any other devices not accounted for, how do I access the new disc (mount it?).

Thanks for your help,
patrick
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The new disk should be /dev/sdd, /dev/sde or something like that.

You're not mounting anything. You should clone the disk /dev/sdc to the replacement disk /dev/sdd, /dev/sde or whatever it is called. You could do

# ls /dev/sd*

Then confirm the disk is the one you think it is using hdparm.
Message 7 of 9
patrick2525
Aspirant

Arghh! Knoppix is only seeing one drive in the 'dual' docking station I purchased for this issue, regardless of which drive is in which bay. I used another USB to SATA cable to connect the other drive and now Knoppix is seeing both drives and I'm able to continue 'rescuing'.

When I reran the command, it looks like it picked up where the previous run left off - at 4294 MB. Do I need to specify some parameter to start all over? And more importantly... any idea what I copied from my erroneous first attempt... ddrescue -d -f -r3 /dev/sdc /dev/sdc1 ?? I shudder to think what my 'rescued' disk will be! 😞
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You overwrote the OS partition with the start of the disk including part of the OS partition. The data volume partition wouldn't have been touched so hopefully your mistake won't have hurt your chances of recovering data.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements