× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which NAS for unlimited Time Machine?

getads
Aspirant

Which NAS for unlimited Time Machine?

Hi all,

I have had a Readynas NV+ for about 3 years now and have been using it for Time Machine back ups for my Macbook Pro - *really* happy with it.

Only problem is that I have 4 2Tb drives (8Tb) in total but the Time Machine partition max size is only 2Tb. I deal with a lot of media with my work and the problem now is that I'm having to create new Time Machine backups every 4-6 weeks now. (As in, Time Machine can no longer do new incremental backups - I'm assuming because 2Tb is too small).

Which ReadyNas do I have to buy that will allow unlimited Time Machine partition space (ie. as large as the Hard Disk capacity available, depending on Raid config, of course)?

I've tried searching this forum but get confused with chip types (x86/Sparc) and Operating System as I don't know which ReadyNAS has which chip/OS and I fear that the posts that talk about these may be outdated?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Adam
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Which NAS for unlimited Time Machine?

Look at the 300 series (312/314/316) and the 516. Get one of those.
Message 2 of 5
getads
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm - I did see some posts on these, but are they also constrained to 4Tb?

I'd like to devote the entire 8Tb (or 6Tb with Raid redundancy) to Time Machine...

Thanks again,

Adam
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No they are not constrained to 4TB. The models I mentioned are the ones you should look at to get what you want.
Message 4 of 5
getads
Aspirant

*awesome* - thanks so much for your feedback 🙂
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements