× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS loses network connectivity

roger_armstrong
Aspirant

ReadyNAS loses network connectivity

We're using a ReadyNas 6 Ultra Plus for backup of ESX servers (using ghettoVCB with the ReadyNAS mounted as an NFS datastore) and a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 plus as an NFS datastore. Unfortunately, both ReadyNAS devices occasionally (every few months) disappear from the network (i.e. become unreachable via NFS, http, icmp etc). The disks are OK and if the device is rebooted then everything is fine again.

This is bad when its being used for backup, but even worse when its an NFS datastore.

To detect and automate the recovery, I installed monit (apt-get install monit) and configured it to ping the default gateway to check if all is OK with the network - if it fails several times in a row, it reboots the ReadyNAS. This happened last night during a backup.

Its pretty alarming that both ReadyNAS devices just go offline like this. Anyone else experiencing such issues?

Both are running 4.2.19 firmware.
Message 1 of 18
herko1
Aspirant

I'm getting this too now on my readynas ultra 4. It seems to happen when a large file is sent slowly, as a movie file is transcoded and stored on the NAS. No idea why who.
Message 2 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please update to 4.2.20. This should address this issue.
Message 3 of 18
slickric1
Aspirant

I just started having this issue after updating to 4.2.20 - everything is fine for a few days and then I find that it's not responsive and can't be accessed either through safari or finder 😞

Restart and all is good again - any thoughts?
Message 4 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In that case you should open a tech support (http://www.readynas.com/support) case.
Message 5 of 18
tfierens1
Aspirant

Same problem here and becoming a complete pain the a..!!!

I read that this problem should be resolved by .20 when in fact it started after I installed .20!! I've now installed .21 and it still does not appear to have been resolved!!

I now have to reboot my nas at least once a week if not twice and as a user mentioned it does seem to lose its network connectivity when copying large files or in my case as well when left unattended for too long!!

Really disappointing from Netgear!! Again!!!
Message 6 of 18
kakemann81
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Just bought the NAS, so I'm a bit dissapointed with this.

I can access the folders on it, but not the control panel in chrome or iexplore.
Happens after a few days.
Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

kakemann81 wrote:
I have the same problem. Just bought the NAS, so I'm a bit dissapointed with this.

I can access the folders on it, but not the control panel in chrome or iexplore.
Happens after a few days.
What firmware are you running? I usually use FireFox, and don't see this issue with my Pro.
Message 8 of 18
kakemann81
Aspirant

Sometimes the control panel is also very slow.
After entering username and password it takes a while before entering control panel.

When I'm in, it runs fast, though
Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Are the disks set to spin down?
Message 10 of 18
kakemann81
Aspirant

Yes, every hour.

But isn't it strange that accessing the control panel is slow/not working while accessing the actual disk in file explorer works perfect?
Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

I agree it is strange. But it might be interesting to turn off the spin-down for a couple days, and see if the symptoms change.
Message 12 of 18
tfierens1
Aspirant

I'm not spinning down my drive and it still occurs.

As for slow access, I don't have that problem! It just can't be accessed!! In case you are wondering if I'm not patient enough and wait for the control panel to respond... It is not the case as I usually go immediately to windows explorer and try to access a folder and it throws me an error that the specific share is not available. I then open a command line window and then try to ping my Nas drive and as expected th ping times out.

The only option I'm left with is a reboot via th front button of the NAS.

I can open th control panel on all browser i.e IE, chrome, Firefox, safari on windows/iPhone and iPad. So that part is good.. Now all that's needed is for th drive to say connected!!! :x :x :x

As mentioned, I have the very latest firmware .21
Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

tfierens wrote:
As mentioned, I have the very latest firmware .21
What model (your signature says x6, but of course that won't run .21).

I suggest that you should fork onto a different thread. Your symptoms seem different from kakemann81's. In his case, the NAS is still accessible from Windows Explorer, in your case the NAS is totally non responsive.
Message 14 of 18
kakemann81
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I agree it is strange. But it might be interesting to turn off the spin-down for a couple days, and see if the symptoms change.

Thank you for your advice.

I will try it out, and see what happens.
Message 15 of 18
tfierens1
Aspirant

My model is the readynas ultra 6
Message 16 of 18
tfierens1
Aspirant

My model is the readynas Ultra 6.

In regards to 4.2.21 not applying, unless I'm missing something here, this link seems to say otherwise http://www.readynas.com/?p=6469. Now I'm going to go reboot my drive as I cannot access it at this time but when I applied 4.4.21, it did say "applied successfully."... Now whether or not it did is another story. One thing I did notice is that I had to download this manually as it was t appearing via the automatic update section.

I don't think I'm in the wrong thread as the title of this thread is "losing network connectivity" which exactly what is happening to me and while the described behaviour might be slightly different they are still very similar because a) it does lose network connectivity, b) it seems to happen when copying large files and c) it has only started to happen since upgrading to 4.2.20.

Thanks.
Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

It is really hard to give troubleshooting suggestions to two different people on the same thread. Even if you are staying on topic, it is difficult for the rest of us to sort through what you have done/not done, what kakemann81 has done/not done, and what outcomes you saw. It would be simpler if one of you starts a new thread.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements