× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS ultra6 shares not reachable / frontview does not persist changes

Verhodo
Aspirant

ReadyNAS ultra6 shares not reachable / frontview does not persist changes

I am facing the same issue as several others here in the forum where the NAS has become unreachable and frontview does not persist changes anymore.

I am guessing OS partition full.

In the past, NETGEAR would provide support for this and remotely log on the machine and do some fixes over telnet (enabled thru boot menu). As the device is end of life I can't get support from them anymore (tried this).

I was able to log onto the machine with telnet. However, I notice there is no full blown linux on there. So I feel rather limited in recursively trying to find large files etc.

Is there anyone who can give me some information on what folders to check and what to delete to make space. Or which statements to run on the machine?

It would be very very helpful and I already thank you sincerely.

PS: Rather bummed that NETGEAR is not providing a decent document on this.

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Verhodo wrote:

I was able to log onto the machine with telnet. However, I notice there is no full blown linux on there. So I feel rather limited in recursively trying to find large files etc.

Try entering

# start_raid.sh
# mount /dev/md0 /sysroot
# mount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
# mount --bind /dev/pts /sysroot/dev/pts
# mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys
# chroot /systoor /bin/bash

That will actually mount the OS partition and chroot - giving you the full range of linux commands in the OS partition, and also letting you examine the OS partition.

Then you check fullness with df // -h and df // -i.

Message 2 of 14
mdgm
Virtuoso

@Verhodo wrote:

I am facing the same issue as several others here in the forum where the NAS has become unreachable and frontview does not persist changes anymore.

I am guessing OS partition full.

That is most likely the case. It can be full space usage or less common (but still happens sometime) full of inodes.

@Verhodo wrote:

Is there anyone who can give me some information on what folders to check and what to delete to make space. Or which statements to run on the machine?

A common place to start is looking under /var/log on the 4GB root volume.

@Verhodo wrote:

PS: Rather bummed that NETGEAR is not providing a decent document on this.

I used to work for NETGEAR and have looked at a number of problems with these symptoms in the past. The issue is that every problem is different. I could write something easily that would work as more or less a best practice for a few common cases, but that wouldn't be very applicable in others. Doing the wrong thing can sometimes make a problem worse. Writing a good document that covers off pretty much everything would be a major undertaking.

A lot of threads here ignore some basic things that should be done like checking the health of the disks and the state of the RAID before starting the RAID. There's also syncing writes, unmounting the root volume and stopping the RAID properly when you're done as well.

Message 3 of 14
Verhodo
Aspirant

First off thanks for your quick replies.

I just checked and managed to perform a df // -h which confirms that it is 100% in use.

The inodes are only 29% in use so I don't expect problems there.

In the /var/log/frontview there is a huge access.log file. As well as some others like command.log

in /var/log there is a cron.log and daemon.log and syslog which are also substantial.

Any pointers on how to clear space?

I am guessing (hoping 🙂 ) this is a pretty standard case.

Again thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Verhodo wrote:

Any pointers on how to clear space?

echo -n > logfilename

will truncate the file to 0 size.  Logfilename can include the full path, or you can use cd to enter the appropriate folder (cd /var/log for example).

You can truncate a couple of these (to get the OS partition below 50% or so), which will let you reboot.  You can then clear the logs from frontview to shrink the rest.

Message 5 of 14
Verhodo
Aspirant

Ok thanks.

I did this on some files but df -h keeps on telling 100%

Is there some kind of bin that keeps the files? I would expect a trunc like this to make space right away.

I tried rebooting in order to maybe free some file handlers or force a re-init, but the problem is still there.

I will try tonight if I can clear up some other files...

Tips & tricks are welcome 🙂

Message 6 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Plex is notorious for leaving behind scraps from transcoding that can be huge.  A couple users have reported issues that seem to stem from an improperly mounted USB drive, so what should have just been a symbolic link to the drive, which is in the OS partition, was an actual directory and contained files intended for the USB drive.  Other apps, especially anything you added via apt-get directly, could also be creating the problem.

But you have to be carefulo that you are really looking at a directory in the OS partition, not to something elsewhere via a symbolic link.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Verhodo wrote:

Ok thanks.

I did this on some files but df -h keeps on telling 100%

Does ls -als  confirm that the file is truncated?

Note that the > is important.

echo -n > logfilename

If you leave out the > the file will not be truncated.

Message 8 of 14
Verhodo
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for helping out.

I found the culprit. After some investigation and ls -ltRS, I noticed I had a cache folder under /var/ from the minidlna app plugin which I tried somewhere in the past. This cache folder had been collecting media information in a .db file which was insanely huge. After removing this file, df -h went from 100 to 26% and the device booted again as before.

Reimporting an old config wasnt succesful, but I just quickly reconfigured the file sharing services to access the NAS again. I am now in the process of copying files over to another drive... phew.

Thanks a ton to everyone in this thread here and the pms I got!

Message 9 of 14
mdgm
Virtuoso

There's an add-on for moving that database to the data volume: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyDLNA-OS-Partition-Usage/m-p/82...

There are recent config backups automatically stored under /var/backups, I think.

If you were trying to restore a very old config backup from old firmware that may not work very well.

Message 10 of 14
Verhodo
Aspirant

OK thanks,

I will have a look into it once I have a backup of my files. It looks very interesting thanks!

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Verhodo wrote:

I will have a look into it once I have a backup of my files. It looks very interesting thanks!

Another thing you could do is convert your Ultra to run OS-6.  That doesn't have that particular problem, and also would give you SMB3 (among other things).  If you want to do that (or just want more information) let us know.

The process does require a full reset/reformatting of the disks - so you would need to reconfigure the NAS and restore files from the backup.

Message 12 of 14
Verhodo
Aspirant

Yeah that sounds very interesting... is there some kind of easy walkthru for it?

Not urgent... first copy & backup

Thanks

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Verhodo wrote:

Yeah that sounds very interesting... is there some kind of easy walkthru for it?

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Restore files from the backup.

Note that there is a significant bug in 6.10.5, so I don't recommend upgrading your software to that until it is fixed.  6.10.3 would be a good upgrade though.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

If you do decide to convert the Ultra, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Ultra only has 1 GB. Some folks have run into out-of-memory conditions with only 1 GB.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements