× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAs NV don't start anymore

atai1960
Aspirant

ReadyNAs NV don't start anymore

Hello,

I have a problem with my old NV.

since today don't start anymore.

Maybe could be the internal power supply?

How can I solve?

I have 4 HD full of information.

Can I move one of the HD to the other ReadyNAS 104 that I have?

Many thanks

Model: ReadyNASRND4410|ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB (4 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAs NV don't start anymore

@atai1960 wrote:

Anyway can I move the volumes from the old NV to an NV+ without any issue 

Yes you can.  Make sure it is a v1 (sparc based) platform though.  You can't migrate to a v2.  http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

If the NV+ v1 is running different firmware, then it will upgrade (or downgrade) the OS to match it's flash when you boot it up.  If you purchase an NV+ for this purpose, you should bring it up with a scratch disk first, and install the right firmware on it.  If you don't know the NV firmware, just install 4.1.16.

Of course any NV+ you find will be quite old (they stopped manufacturing it in 2011).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@atai1960 wrote:

Can I move one of the HD to the other ReadyNAS 104 that I have?

If you are using RAID, then you certainly can't move just one.  With XRAID you'd need to move at least three, and preferrably all four.

Also, you can't just migrate them to an RN104 because the file systems are completely different.  You can temporarily mount them with help from support ( https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA... ).  They will charge for that.

If you have a PC that can accept the drives (either with SATA or using USB->sata adapters) you can boot the system using a linux Live disk, and then mount the array manually.  The linux commands needed are 

1. sudo su
  2. apt-get install fuseext2
  3. apt-get install lvm2
  4. modprobe fuse
  5. vgscan
  6. vgchange -ay c
  7. fuseext2 -o ro -o sync_read /dev/c/c /mnt

@atai1960 wrote:

Maybe could be the internal power supply?

How can I solve?

It very well could be the supply.  Are you seeing any signs of power?

It is possible to replace the supply.  There is at least one supplier who will ship you one (based in the UK and expensive).  It is also possible to modify a stock power supply if you are ok with modifying the pinout.  @Sandshark is very familiar with this, and often does provide help on that here.

Message 2 of 8
atai1960
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer.

I don't see any signs of power so I believe is the power supply.

It's the second time in 10 years.

I don't use XRAID.

What about to move one by one the HD and mount on a NV+?

Maybe I have found one used.

Can I read my data on the NV+ without do nothing else?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@atai1960 wrote:

I don't use XRAID.

You had four volumes?

If so, I suggest connecting one of the disks to a windows PC and using r-linux for windows ( http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/ )

You can migrate the disks to another NV+.  You should boot the replacement system with a scratch disk first, and update the firmware to match your existing system (or just install 4.1.16).  Otherwise the replacement system might downgrade the firmware on the disks.  Of course a used NV+ will also have an aging supply.

Message 4 of 8
atai1960
Aspirant

Yes I have 4 volumes.

I have connected one of the volume to my pc using R-Linux but I don't see this volume.

I see only the volumes of my pc but not the one connected via USB

I am doing something wrong?

If I have correctly understod using this software I can recover (copy) the content of the old ReadyNas NV to the new 104, correct?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@atai1960 wrote:

If I have correctly understod using this software I can recover (copy) the content of the old ReadyNas NV to the new 104, correct?

It should let you read the data, but it won't copy by itself.  You might try another volume next, just to make sure it's not specific to that particular one.

Others have used this software, but it might not work with flexraid.  Are you comfortable enough with linux to try booting the PC from a linux live CD?

Message 6 of 8
atai1960
Aspirant

Thanks but I am not confortable enough with Linux so I will try to replace the power supply or buy an used NV+.

Anyway can I move the volumes from the old NV to an NV+ without any issue or is better to replace the power supply of the old NV?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@atai1960 wrote:

Anyway can I move the volumes from the old NV to an NV+ without any issue 

Yes you can.  Make sure it is a v1 (sparc based) platform though.  You can't migrate to a v2.  http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

If the NV+ v1 is running different firmware, then it will upgrade (or downgrade) the OS to match it's flash when you boot it up.  If you purchase an NV+ for this purpose, you should bring it up with a scratch disk first, and install the right firmware on it.  If you don't know the NV firmware, just install 4.1.16.

Of course any NV+ you find will be quite old (they stopped manufacturing it in 2011).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements