× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 426 - Behaviour when upgrading drives

carlpea
Tutor

ReadyNas 426 - Behaviour when upgrading drives

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading 6 10TB Toshiba N300 drives to 6 18TB Toshiba MG09 drives.

The first one I replaced took around 20 hours to 'Resync Volume', as expected.

The second drive took around 22 hours to 'Resync Volume', however now 'Resync Data' is taking place which appears will take a long period of time (I have just over 36TB of data on the volume).

I've also noticed that following the 'Resync Volume' on the second drive the volume has increased in size based on the additional capacity of the second drive!

Is this expected as all documentation I've read states the volume wouldn't increase in size until I've replaced all drives in the array and rebooted?

Thanks,

Carl.

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas 426 - Behaviour when upgrading drives

@carlpea wrote:

This is the info I was referring to:

https://kb.netgear.com/21415/How-do-I-expand-an-existing-X-RAID-volume-with-larger-disks 

Replace one disk at a time with a larger disk, letting it finish initializing and syncing after each replacement (this process can take several hours depending on disk capacity, but you can continue access to the ReadyNAS), and after the last disk has been replaced, reboot the ReadyNAS. The expansion will occur at boot time.

That looks like it applies to 4.1.x firmware - if so it's very old.  XRAID in all newer NAS (4.2, 5.3, 6.x) supports unequal-size disks.

@Marc_V , @JeraldM:  Can you request that this article be corrected (or perhaps deleted).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@carlpea wrote:

I've also noticed that following the 'Resync Volume' on the second drive the volume has increased in size based on the additional capacity of the second drive!

Is this expected as all documentation I've read states the volume wouldn't increase in size until I've replaced all drives in the array and rebooted?

Don't know what you are reading, but this is usual behavior for XRAID.

You started with a 6x10TB RAID-5 group.   The system is adding a second RAID group, and concatenates the two groups together.  Right now that second group is 2x6TB RAID-1; it will end up 6x6TB RAID-5 when the process completes.

@carlpea wrote:

The first one I replaced took around 20 hours to 'Resync Volume', as expected.

The second drive took around 22 hours to 'Resync Volume', however now 'Resync Data' is taking place which appears will take a long period of time (I have just over 36TB of data on the volume).

The amount of data on the volume isn't relevant to these times.  Every sector on every drive is either read or written when you replace or upgrade a disk.   Note this means that the times will get longer as you upgrade more disks.

If one of the already unstalled disks fails during this process, you will lose your data.  Hopefully you followed Netgear's recommendation to update your backup first, 

Message 2 of 6
carlpea
Tutor

Yes, I've backed up the important data.

I'm also running the full 24 hour self test on each new drive before adding it to the ReadyNas.

https://kb.netgear.com/21415/How-do-I-expand-an-existing-X-RAID-volume-with-larger-disks 

Replace one disk at a time with a larger disk, letting it finish initializing and syncing after each replacement (this process can take several hours depending on disk capacity, but you can continue access to the ReadyNAS), and after the last disk has been replaced, reboot the ReadyNAS. The expansion will occur at boot time.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@carlpea wrote:

That looks like it applies to 4.1.x firmware - if so it's very old.  XRAID in all newer NAS (4.2, 5.3, 6.x) supports unequal-size disks.

@Marc_V , @JeraldM:  Can you request that this article be corrected (or perhaps deleted).

Message 4 of 6
carlpea
Tutor

Fair enough, thanks for confirming the correct/expected process.

Message 5 of 6
carlpea
Tutor

So 13 Days, 4 hours, and 15 minutes later all drives replaced and working.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements