× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Pro 6 High Temperature

McRob1
Luminary

ReadyNas Pro 6 High Temperature

I am running firmware version 6.9.3 on a old ReadyNAS Pro 6.  Lately I have noticed that the system temperature is running higher than normal.  I have noticed temperatures up to 68C.  Hard drives and CPU temperature appear to be normal.  Room temperature is probably between 65 and 85 degrees F depending on outside weather conditions.

I took a screen shot of the temperature values after the unit had been running for 30 minutes and it was already 62C.  See attached.

The System fan speed does not appear to adjust enough to keep the system running cooler, even though I changed the setting from balanced to cool.  Fan speed changes very little if at all.

How hot should I allow the system to run before it will cause damage to the unit?

Is there anything I should do to try and get the unit to run cooler?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @McRob1, regarding "Is there anything I should do to try and get the unit to run cooler?" you can check the following:

- external impact

a) if there is anything close to the nas emitting heat, either remove that, or if not possible relocate the nas

b) do not have it in a too small compartment, as the nas probably will not be able to get rid of the accumulating heat

c) if possible increase air exchange around the nas using a standard external vent

- internal impact or let the nas only do the absolutely necessary work; you need to decide, what you truely need

d) do not have antivirus service enabled
e) do not have ftp service enabled, if not urgently needed
f) do not have afp service enabled in case your macs only need to access a windows share
g) do not have nfs service enabled in case your linux machines (includes android) only need to access a windows share
h) do not have bitrot protection enabled; if you must, do not enable compression, though

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@McRob1 wrote:

I took a screen shot of the temperature values after the unit had been running for 30 minutes and it was already 62C.  See attached.

My pro-6 (running 4.2.x) is showing 57C system temps at the moment, and that is a typical value in a 4.2.x system.  Perhaps other folks running OS 6 on their pro-6 or ultra-6 pro some input on their temps.  The temp sensors are different on the 2 and 4 bay units (and also ultra 6).

I'm not sure how much to trust that particular reading.  How hot is the air being vented from the back?  Any signs that the system board is actually hot?

Also, any sign that the chassis fan isn't working properly?

Message 3 of 15
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi My Pro6 on OS6 always used to run about 62oC. I'm sure I read somewhere that the sensor is pretty close to something hot, so the readings are somewhat misleading. I had put a Noctua fan in mine as well, after one summer getting temperature warnings at 80oC!! Cheers Andy
Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

BTW, I also replaced the chassis fan with a Noctua, but didn't see any change in temperature.  It is quieter though.

Message 5 of 15
coloatty
Luminary

My Ultra 6 Plus, which identifies itself as a Pro 6 Business Edition, runs 6.9.3 and has upgraded CPU and RAM. It is currently resyncing during vertical and horizontal expansions. System temperature is 59º C, CPU 41º C, and drives 33-38º C. These temperatures are typical during the summer in a bedroom-sized room kept in the upper 60s nights to lower 70s days (ºF) with a whole house evaporative cooler.

Message 6 of 15
McRob1
Luminary

Thanks for everyones input.

As suggested I tried turning off Bit Rot Protection for each share on the NAS.

After letting it run overnight it cooled down to a new record low temperature with a system temperature of 54C.

Please note that this is with it set on the Cool setting.  Not sure what happens at the Balanced or Quiet setting.

See new attached screen capture.

It appears that both fans are working properly.  I also set the hard drives to go to sleep after 15 minutes.

I think my next step is to do a real good cleaning of each fan and surrounding internal areas.

I am much more comfortable with the lower temperatures now.  I just hope that turning off Bit Rot Protection does not cause other problems in the future.

Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well, dear @McRob1, you can't have the cake and eat it, too Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@McRob1 wrote:

As suggested I tried turning off Bit Rot Protection for each share on the NASAfter letting it run overnight it cooled down to a new record low temperature with a system temperature of 54C.

@McRob1, that seems odd to me.  Bit Rot Protection does add some overhead - buf when you aren't reading/writing files it shouldn't be doing anything. Do you have an app running in the background that might be doing disk access (transmission for example)?

Perhaps try turning bit-rot protection on in shares that aren't updated that much, and see if the temps rise again.

You might also try enabling spin-down (if it isn't enabled already).

Message 9 of 15
McRob1
Luminary

@StephenB

I am not sure what is going on here.  I changed nothing last night and the NAS system temperature was back up to 60C this morning.  The system fan speed was reported as 753 RPM which is lower than normal.  It appears that the NAS simply wants to run hot by lowering the system fan speed just to keep warm.

I already have disk spin down enabled after 15 minutes.  Disk temperature is around 85F.

I grabbed a screen shot showing how much work the NAS was doing for 24 hours.  It was almost nothing but the temeratures slowly increased overnight.

Is there something in the operating system software that controls the fan speed relative to temperature?

If there is then it does not appear to be working as I would expect it to.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

The fan is system-controlled, and I'd also expect it to maintain a lower system temp when set to cool. 

But I am wondering if the system is really as hot as is being reported.

Message 11 of 15
McRob1
Luminary

@StephenB

Thanks for the hint.  Your comment that the fan was system-controlled made me wonder why then was the fan speed not changing when the system temperature increased.

I took the cover off the unit and popped out what looked like might be the system fan that was located on the side of the unit.  See attached picture of what I found.

After a good cleaning of the area and then running the unit for some time I noticed that now the system fan speed adjust as required to keep the system temperature around 55C.  The fan speed never went above 850 RPM before.  Now the fan speed varies from 750 - 1500 RPM.

The dirt was either keeping the fan from reaching a higher speed or it was insulating the internal temperature probe from allowing the fan speed to increase.

It now appears to be actually controling the system temperature within a more normal range.

I guess you can have your cake and eat it too.

Message 12 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @McRob1, great to hear, that you found a solution after being catalyzed by @StephenB. However, basic principles of physics are not overthrown by cleaning up the kitchen. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I believe there's a temperature below which we can't reliably detect the temperature.

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

I believe there's a temperature below which we can't reliably detect the temperature.

This thread has more information on that: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/OS-6-6-1-on-Ultra-6-Temperature-rea...

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements