× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 4 Plus unresponsive after few days #18913593

martinb1
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 4 Plus unresponsive after few days #18913593

Hi!

I have used a NV+ for a couple of years and I'm very satisfied with it so I upgraded to Ultra 4 plus a month ago. The problem is that the NAS becomes unresponsive after a few days and the only thing that will make go on line again seems to be hold the power button until it shuts down and then restart it again. I've tried with a firmware upgrade, but with no luck. I would be thankful for a little help in this matter. Any suggestions what to do?

Regards,
Martin
Message 1 of 28
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 Plus unresponsive after few days

What firmware did you try updating to?
Message 2 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

The latest available!
Message 3 of 28
StephenB
Guru

martinb wrote:
The latest available!
4.2.21 was just released - given the timing you might not have gotten it. Can you confirm the actual firmware?
Message 4 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Sorry for not given you the version right away. I wasn't at my NAS. No it's 4.2.20. So maybe I should try to upgrade to this one then?
Message 5 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

It is not available in the NAS's update section. Should I do it manually then?
Message 6 of 28
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Yes. Please use the following link for this update. http://www.readynas.com/download/RAIDia ... x86-4.2.21
Message 7 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

It's updated. I got the confirm message saying it is 4.2.21 although NAS fronview says it is 4.2.20. So let see if I can stay on line. Thanks for help so far. I update this thread if the problem is reoccurring.

Regards,
Martin
Message 8 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Frontview from 4.2.20 is probably still cached by your web browser. Clear your web browser cache (e.g. Temporary Internet Files in Internet Explorer or Safari > Empty Cache in Safari), close your web browser then reopen Frontview and Frontview should then indicate 4.2.21
Message 9 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

It is updated to 4.2.21, but this afternoon it became unresponsive again. I forced it to turn off and then it was back up again. So the problem remains...
Message 10 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Same problem again...
Message 11 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Hardware issue? Or what can it be...
Message 12 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Sound frustrating. When if fails can you ping it?
Message 13 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Not sure. Will try that next time. I red a thread written by someone with the same issue as I have. I couldn't find the thread, but essence was tha he couldn't solve the problem...
Message 14 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

martinb have you opened a tech support (http://www.readynas.com/support) case? If not I would suggest opening an online one. Please edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in the thread) to include your case number.
Message 15 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Yes! I'm in contact with the support! Let see how this works out!
Message 16 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Could you post your case number as suggested?
Message 17 of 28
ITAVA
Aspirant

I have a client with the Ultra 6 Same exact problem.

Totally unresponsive, with exception of access by Raidar - it does not find the NAS
No ability to ping it either.

If any developments on this case happen please post them. I will open a suport case also.
Message 18 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

So this is the story so far. The firmware for the discs I use is not compatible with readynas ultra. Though the discs (Barracuda LP ST2000DL003) are in the compatibility list: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641

How could I have avoided this as a consumer? I did everything right and now I'm stucked with two readynas Ultra 4 + with 8 discs which are not compatible...

I wonder how this story will end. The support told me to run the NAS with another disc for 3 days to see if the problem reoccurs. I guess the responsability lies with Netgear and not Seagate or the retailer or me.
Message 19 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What firmware version is installed on the disks martinb?
Message 20 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. I don't know how the check it. Where do I look? The discs are not in the unit at present and I did a factory reset to get the new single 250 GB disc to work with the unit. The Netgear guy told me that there were several updates for Seagate disks, but bot to the ones I'm using. He also said that there are roumours about a new firmware update for my discs, but he didn't know when to expect it. He also told me I wasn't alone with this problem.
Message 21 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a copy of the logs downloaded from when you had those disks installed?

You can look in the disk_smart logs.
Message 22 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Sorry, the cas no is 18913593. No, unfortunately I don't have a copy. I just did what the support told me to do.
Message 23 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 Plus unresponsive after few days #18913

There has been a recent firmware update made available for some ST2000DL003 disks: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64510

Note also: Subject: Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166
beisser wrote:
it looks like the seagate flash cd only works for drives with cc3c firmware. the cc32 ones are most likely different hardware.
im currently trying to find out more.

I guess you probably have disks with CC32 firmware then or the support agent is not aware of this new update. You might want to follow up with support about this. If you can find out from them what model ST2000DL003 disk you have and what firmware version (hopefully they noted this in the case notes) that would be good.

Hopefully beisser will be able to find out more from SeaGate soon.
Message 24 of 28
martinb1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 4 Plus unresponsive after few days #18913

Well I have cc3c so then I have to upgrade to cc3d. Wondering how I will do that in a safe way? Is the best way to mount the HDD:s in a computer one by one or is it possible to do it with the HDD:s stille in the NAS?
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements