× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas 104 lost X-Raid - disk looks intact

Readynas 104 lost X-Raid - disk looks intact

Hi,

Leaving home my ReadyNas was working fine, when I returned my X-raid (two 4tb + one 2tb disk) volume was gone and  I am now presented with two inactive/dead volumes, see attached screenshot. The disks sounds ok and from what I can see the log does not indicate any issues. Is there any way I can recover/restore the X-Raid to save my data?

I am running the latest 6.10.1 firmware version.

Best regards,

Alexej

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@alexejCederholm

I got your logs and upon checking two of your disks (Disk 1 and Disk 3) have increasing ATA errors and has occured more than 7 times in the past 30 days and the disks were considered as failing. Your Data volume is also under 30% and your OS Volume is already 80% full. This capacity usage can and will degrade your NAS performance and processing or fail just like what happened to your volume.

The best option right now is to get PAID support with NETGEAR by logging in to your Profile to create a case (my.netgear.com). Experts will assist you on escalating the case to L3 so they can properly address your issue. You will have to prepare replacement disks as well to make sure that your RAID will not fail after it has been recovered. You may be asked to purchase a Data Recovery Service contract as well.

If you plan to do recovery yourself, you may want to try recovering your data using a third parry software like ReCLAIMe or other tool that the community can recommend. Cloning the disks will also be another option, but to get the RAID mounted you may need to be able to use SSH to access CLI.

If you have a full backup available, you can then just do Factory reset on your NAS then transfer the data after.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

I noticed that i posted this under the wrong topic, could the admin please move it to the correct section. 

Thank you in advanced

Regards,

Alexej

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I suggest downloading the log zip file, and then ask one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) to analyze them.  Send a link to the zip file in a private message (PM).

Another option is to contact paid support (my.netgear.com).

Message 3 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@alexejCederholm

I got your logs and upon checking two of your disks (Disk 1 and Disk 3) have increasing ATA errors and has occured more than 7 times in the past 30 days and the disks were considered as failing. Your Data volume is also under 30% and your OS Volume is already 80% full. This capacity usage can and will degrade your NAS performance and processing or fail just like what happened to your volume.

The best option right now is to get PAID support with NETGEAR by logging in to your Profile to create a case (my.netgear.com). Experts will assist you on escalating the case to L3 so they can properly address your issue. You will have to prepare replacement disks as well to make sure that your RAID will not fail after it has been recovered. You may be asked to purchase a Data Recovery Service contract as well.

If you plan to do recovery yourself, you may want to try recovering your data using a third parry software like ReCLAIMe or other tool that the community can recommend. Cloning the disks will also be another option, but to get the RAID mounted you may need to be able to use SSH to access CLI.

If you have a full backup available, you can then just do Factory reset on your NAS then transfer the data after.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 6

Thank you Marc for checking and confirming the logs. I will create an ticket with the paid netgear support and hopefully they can help.

I also read up a little on DIY solution using ReCLAIMe and other tools. As I understand it I would need to connect the disks diretly to the computer, can this be done using the NAS or do I need to purchase SATA to USB cables to connect them. I only own a laptop so no way of connecting them internally.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@alexejCederholm wrote:

can this be done using the NAS or do I need to purchase SATA to USB cables to connect them. I only own a laptop so no way of connecting them internally.

You'd need to get SATA to USB adapters (or perhaps a multi-disk dock).  After off-loading the files, you probably should start over (doing a factory default on the new disk array, rebuilding the NAS, and restoring the files from backup).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements