× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Duo v2 poor performance on SMB connection

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see you last did a factory reset on 5.3.2. If you still encounter performance issues it may be worth considering doing a backup, factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restoring your data from backup. This would get you a clean setup on the latest firmware. Over time some changes such as some filesystem improvements require a factory reset on newer firmware to take advantage of. We do our best to achieve good results with units last factory reset on very old firmware.

I see that one of your disks is a WD Green disk with a huge Load Cycle Count
Message 26 of 32
Nutty667
Aspirant

Yeah I think the last time I did a factory reset was when some firmware update broke the system when it was switched off with power timer active.

Not sure how viable a factory reset is atm, as I dont have enough storage to back everything up. I may invest in another NAS soon.
Yeah the WD green is the older of the two drives. My previous green died and I replaced it with a red. What does Load Cycle Count refer to, and is it bad that its high ? Theres no actual errors reported in the SMART data.
I will probably replace that green with another red very soon.
Message 27 of 32
Nutty667
Aspirant

Ahh isn't the Load Cycle Count referring to the number of times the head gets parked or something. I vaguely remember there being some kind of firmware issue causing that to get excessive on WD Green's.
Message 28 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can change the timer using idle3-tools: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59700
Message 29 of 32
StephenB
Guru

Nutty667 wrote:
Ahh isn't the Load Cycle Count referring to the number of times the head gets parked or something. I vaguely remember there being some kind of firmware issue causing that to get excessive on WD Green's.
Yes, the load cycle count does refer to the number of times the head gets parked. The parking threshold on the green drives is set appropriately for windows PCs, but is too short for linux, so the heads park very frequently.

There's a nominal spec of 300K load cycles, though my drives are well above that and aren't showing any issues.

You can run WDIDLE3 to adjust this threshold if you wish. Or just plan to replace the drive with another red at some point.
Message 30 of 32
Nutty667
Aspirant

I'll stick another red in there, that drives getting on a bit anyway, and it'll align the drive models in use.
I'll try moving everything off after that and doing a factory reset, see it that improves things.
Message 31 of 32
Nutty667
Aspirant

So I think I've gotten to the bottom of the slow speed.. although I dont know why.

I replaced the WD Green drive with a new RED, it finished syncing the array. And performance was still rubbish. 25MB/s read speed.
Rebooted, and did a disk scan, performance now 90MB/s!
A few days later and speed is back down to 25MB/s.

Did some searching on the forum, and realised there was a newer minidlna, so I installed that, and halfway through the DLNA-rescan, I realised I don't even use it anymore. I always just browser folders.
So I turned off the Ready-DLNA on the NAS dashboard, and hey presto, my read speed has been full gigabit-saturation ever since!

Every day since turning off the Ready-DLNA I've tested file copying from various shares and its always full speed now. Anyone any idea ? My DLNA version was the older 1.1.2, I installed the newer 1.1.4 but didn't let the re-scan finish before just disabling it.
Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements