× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Pro 6 - no display, How to factory reset?

stubbsy1
Guide

Readynas Pro 6 - no display, How to factory reset?

I have a ReadyNas Pro 6. Some time ago the display stopped working (pressing the backup button does nothing, nor does it display during boot). Up until now this hasn't been a big deal, but now I want to factory reset it to move past the 16Tb limit (I have 6 x 4 Tb drives in it). Data is backed up, but I need to use the backup button to move through the menu shown on the display. Doing it blind would be OK if I knew what the menus looked like. I also have a Pro Business edition (so near identical) which is my backup to the 6. Could I safely step through the menu on the business and mirror the steps blind on the 6 without screwing up the business (don't want to factory reset it)? The best a search has yielded for me is http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71844 where someone else has the same issue, but there is no workaround shown.

Better - is there some other way eg using Raidar to achieve what I want. Thanks in advance for any help 🙂
Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Readynas Pro 6 - no display, How to factory reset?

Your pro 6 should be under warranty , have you contacted support?
I think your plan to use the boot menu on the working unit to guide you should work.
Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like two of the three Pro units registered to stubbsy are still under the 5 year limited hardware warranty if the dates shown on the support site are accurate.

One unit was purchased in early 2009 and is out of warranty.
Message 3 of 5
stubbsy1
Guide

mdgm wrote:
Looks like two of the three Pro units registered to stubbsy are still under the 5 year limited hardware warranty if the dates shown on the support site are accurate.

One unit was purchased in early 2009 and is out of warranty.

Correct. Guess which one has the dead display 😞

I thought I'd update this as well with some results:
1. I connected via frontView and went to System/Update/Factory Defaults (thanks mdgm for pointing out something obvious I missed) which did what was required
2. Then I tried another idea that occurred to me - swapped all the disks out of my working 6 (labelled each one) then put in the 6 disks from the one with dead display. Factory defaulted there then swapped all disks back in both boxes. That also seemed to work
4. Finally I also tried the approach of mirroring what I did on my Pro Business with a working display - that also worked without issue

Yes that's doing the same thing three times - I was curious. All is now working fine.
Message 4 of 5
MoRaX
Aspirant

Rif.: Readynas Pro 6 - no display, How to factory reset?

HI,
same exact problem. Were you able to solve it?
I know it's been a long time but I want to try to ask for info anyway....

Thank you

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements