× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas nv+ v2 sharing folders on the network

musicnaut
Aspirant

Readynas nv+ v2 sharing folders on the network

Hi guys!, I have a Readynas nv+ v2 connected on my network made of 3 computers with windows 8.1 x64 and I would like to be able to restrict access to the folders from any computer in the network with different passwords for the different folders.
At the moment anyone can have access to the two folders already in my NAS which is (backup and media), but I want that to be accessed via a password or username and password.
Thank you guys
Message 1 of 9
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hi,

Depending on if you have a NV+ v1 or v2 you can restrict access to shares as described in the links below. The nameplate on the chassis is no indication which version you NV+ you own. If you are running firmware 4.x you have a v1, if the firmware version is 5.x it will be a v2.

For the v1 please try this (use the information in the section user security, disregard share security please):
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... /related/1

For the v2, please read the following:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21016

Bye,
Eskender
Message 2 of 9
musicnaut
Aspirant

Thank you for your prompt response Eskender, and as I stated on my first message it is a Version 2 ( V2) of the Readynas, but none of the links that you've suggested shows me how to put a password to the folders I made and to make them individually depending on the persons that I want to share the info with.
Thank you
Message 3 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Well you need to create users. Each user will have a password.
I'll also reiterate what EskenderNG has said about the version. The label can be misleading.
http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/
Message 4 of 9
musicnaut
Aspirant

Thank you vandermerwe, i definitely have the NV+ V2 ( RND4000-200AJS ), i did created users with passwords and worked fine.
Another question is, how can a user log out so when they leave their computers no one can have access to their files and folders?
Thank you guys for all of your help 🙂
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

musicnaut wrote:
Another question is, how can a user log out so when they leave their computers no one can have access to their files and folders?
That's really a windows issue (w/o the NAS, the files would be on the local PC, and would be accessible if a user left w/o locking their computer).

The usual answer is a windows security policy that locks the screen after a timeout, and requires re-entry of the user password to unlock.
Message 6 of 9
musicnaut
Aspirant

I don't follow you Stephen :P.....the thing is that as I have created folders and have users accessing them with their username and passwords created inside the Readynas shares tab, I want to be able to log out in a way that if I leave the computer, no one can have access to the folders; but when I am back I can just login again with the username and password.
The other thing is that I want to disable the option that creates "private home folder" everytime a user logs in with their account.
Thank you Stephen
Message 7 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

If you have a user on the PC that matches the user on the nas then when you log out of the PC, it should not allow access if a different PC user comes along and logs in.
The home shares are created, but can be disabled. Go to the shares tab, click on the home folders, then access, then disable all the protocols.
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

musicnaut wrote:
I want to be able to log out in a way that if I leave the computer, no one can have access to the folders; but when I am back I can just login again with the username and password.
Just logging out of windows should do what you want. I'm perhaps not understanding the security issue you have in mind.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements