× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas104 blinking screen and won't boot with drives installed

Vega32
Aspirant

Readynas104 blinking screen and won't boot with drives installed

A few days ago I noticed that the front display panel was black, with random short blinks with no text or number.

The NAS was not accessable through LAN.
I unplugged power to restart. Same problem.

I unplugged all 4 drives, and the NAS boot into "safe mode".
I tried inserting the drives, and the blinking starts again. I also tried inserting one by one. Same problem. 
I then connected each drive 1-by-1 into a Icy Box USB drive. Windows can see the disks, but they are unpartioned according to Windows. I didn't dare do that because I have important data on the drives.

The NAS is currently powered on with no drives connected, and I can connect to it via ReadyCloud. I actually had to "make a new unit" (cant remember the exact wording) to connect to the NAS.

It's been a while since I fiddled around with this NAS, since it's been working I kept it alone. So, ehm.. I can't input the correct admin password when i try to connect directly to NAS via browser..... So I'm afraid im pretty stuck if I cant get the NAS to boot properly with drives installed.

I'm wondering if there is any way to fix this problem? Or is the data on all 4 drives gone?

It's now trying to download and install new firmware. Seems to get stuck on 60-90% downloading. Guess I'll give it some time... 

Firmware: 6.10.3

"Status: Healty"

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

The LED on the power brick should be steady.  Does it behave the same when the NAS is powered and unpowered?  If it's only blinking when the NAS is powered, I'd say that's yet another sign it's a power issue.  Still could be internal to the NAS if it's trying to draw more current that the brick can provide, but replacing the brick sounds like a reasonable next step.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 20

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Vega32 wrote:

Windows can see the disks, but they are unpartioned according to Windows. I didn't dare do that because I have important data on the drives.

That is odd.  Windows can't mount them, but it should show the partitions.

BTW, there is some beta-level open source for a Windows implementation of mdadm and btrfs.  I haven't tried it, but some folks have used it successfully to access their OS-6 data volumes.

@Vega32 wrote:

I also tried inserting one by one.

If you have a single RAID volume, then this was a bad idea. Hopefully nothing you've done has triggered a factory reset (which reformats the drives, and does a clean install).

Have you looked at the status in RAIDar?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 2 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

Thanks for replying.

For me it seems to be the other way around:
Windows found new disk in disk manager. But it didnt show in "my computer" as a partition. I had the option to make one... Im not very familiar with Windows 11. But in earlier versions I could "mount" the partitions for them to show in "my computer". But I guess this would have been an option if I made a partition...

But there seems to be very many odd things going on.

I opened RAIDar as you suggested, and it shows the NAS as "healty". Not much more info going on in raidar. 
When I press "offline setup (LAN)" I get prompted to input password. I tried the ones most likely to be my own admin password, set years ago. But it does not enter. I thought it was because of wrong password. But: I tried default "admin" and "password", and suddenly I get in.

This makes me believe that the NAS has done a complete reset. But please note that ALL of this is WITHOUT any disks connected.

Are my original "NAS settings" (users, passwords, apps, etc.) stored on a partition on one of the 4 harddrives?
Because it seems to be a complete "new NAS" when I enter the NAS IP page. And as I also stated in the original post: I had to configure the NAS as new. This is even more likely when I got to enter the setup with "Admin / password" login info.
When I entered via RAIDar it prompts me the setup wizard.
Even though I recently did this both before and after writing the original post... So for me it seems like something is resetting, or that the information is not stored. Maybe due to it beeing in "safe mode"?

Sorry for sounding like an complete idiot, but seems that I actually am one in regards to this 🙂 🙂

I can cook this down to two main questions:
1. Is there any way to get my NAS to boot with the 4 drives inserted into the bays? When I insert them, the display starts to blink and the NAS seems dead.
2. Is there any way for me to save the harddrive data?

Message 3 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Vega32 wrote:

Windows found new disk in disk manager. But it didnt show in "my computer" as a partition. 

You might be a bit confused on this. Windows Disk Manager is the place where you can see the disk partitions.  Though it calls them "volumes".

"My Computer" can only show file systems that Windows supports - and it doesn't support the file systems used by the NAS.  If you had initialized the disk (or formatted it) there, you would certainly have lost the data.

@Vega32 wrote:

I opened RAIDar as you suggested, and it shows the NAS as "healty". Not much more info going on in raidar. 
When I press "offline setup (LAN)" I get prompted to input password. I tried the ones most likely to be my own admin password, set years ago. But it does not enter. I thought it was because of wrong password. But: I tried default "admin" and "password", and suddenly I get in.

This makes me believe that the NAS has done a complete reset. But please note that ALL of this is WITHOUT any disks connected.

That is because you are in safe mode, which uses the default passwords.  Normally the NAS boots from the disks - and the configuration (including account credentials) are all stored on the disks.

@Vega32 wrote:

1. Is there any way to get my NAS to boot with the 4 drives inserted into the bays? When I insert them, the display starts to blink and the NAS seems dead.

Power down, and reinsert the disks in their correct slots.  Then use RAIDar, and tell us what status it shows for your NAS.

It's not 100% clear to me whether you have a bad LCD panel, or whether the NAS is completely failing to boot when disks are inserted.  Do you see the normal LCD screen now that you are in safe mode?

As far as offloading data goes, there are a couple of options (including installing the beta versions of mdadm and btrfs for windows I mentioned above).  But let's see if we can get more info on what's happening first.

Message 4 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

A RaedyNAS boots from and stores all configuration from the drives, so most of what you are doing with no drives installed is doing nothing at all toward solving your problem.  If you want to do more testing and not risk your data, you'l have to install at least one drive contiining no data you care about.

It sounds like you have a power problem.  It could be as simple as the external power brick, whihc is easy to replace.  Or, it could be an internal voltage converter/regularor, in which case there is no fix unless you are stll in warranty (doubtful on a 104).

Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It sounds like you have a power problem.  It could be as simple as the external power brick, whihc is easy to replace.  Or, it could be an internal voltage converter/regularor, in which case there is no fix unless you are stll in warranty (doubtful on a 104).

FWIW, it sounds that way to me too.  

Message 6 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@Vega32 wrote:

Windows found new disk in disk manager. But it didnt show in "my computer" as a partition. 

You might be a bit confused on this. Windows Disk Manager is the place where you can see the disk partitions.  Though it calls them "volumes".

"My Computer" can only show file systems that Windows supports - and it doesn't support the file systems used by the NAS.  If you had initialized the disk (or formatted it) there, you would certainly have lost the data.

@Vega32 wrote:

That is because you are in safe mode, which uses the default passwords.  Normally the NAS boots from the disks - and the configuration (including account credentials) are all stored on the disks.

That makes 100% sense now:)

@Vega32 wrote:

Power down, and reinsert the disks in their correct slots.  Then use RAIDar, and tell us what status it shows for your NAS.

Trying that now. The blinking then continues. The LCD panel is working normally when no drives are connected (Safe mode). RAIDar can't find the NAS.

It's not 100% clear to me whether you have a bad LCD panel, or whether the NAS is completely failing to boot when disks are inserted.  Do you see the normal LCD screen now that you are in safe mode?

As far as offloading data goes, there are a couple of options (including installing the beta versions of mdadm and btrfs for windows I mentioned above).  But let's see if we can get more info on what's happening first.

Regarding faulty power. That may very well be the solution I think.

I noticed that the green light on the power supply is also blinking slowly. (bright green light, and then dimming to a weaker light, every 1-2 seconds perhaps)... Is that a symptom for something wrong with PSU? I just tried disconnecting the drives, and the PSU light continues to blink - but the LCD is working normally and NAS is booting into safe mode.

I will find a old harddrive to test.

Had to edit because I don't know how quote works apparently:)

Message 7 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

The LED on the power brick should be steady.  Does it behave the same when the NAS is powered and unpowered?  If it's only blinking when the NAS is powered, I'd say that's yet another sign it's a power issue.  Still could be internal to the NAS if it's trying to draw more current that the brick can provide, but replacing the brick sounds like a reasonable next step.

Message 8 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

Found an old, empty disk. Put it into bay 1, powered on - and it is behaving the same: LCD is blinking, and NAS is not booting properly. RAIDar cant find it.

I could also see that the green light on PSU it not blinking until I press the power button and the NAS powers up with blinking LCD screen.

So, faulty PSU or something faulty inside the NAS?

Message 9 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like a faulty power issue.  But the "PSU" has two components:  the external brick and the internal converter/regulators that create all the voltages needed inside the NAS.  Unless you have the ability to monitor the brick's output voltage while the unit is on, replacement is the only way to see if that'll fix it.

Message 10 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

I'm hoping that it is the external PSU thats faulty. I just ordered one today.

BUT, I have another possible problem. The 4 pin plug that goes into the NAS is really, really, reeeeeeeeaally stuck. I cant pull it out.
Is there any trick required to pull it out with normal force?

Message 11 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

I got a new power supply, and the NAS seems to be working.

However, it seems like the file structure has been reset. 

Any tips on how to get the data back?

More info:
When I press "shares" i get a "no volumes exist".
I can see in the system log that the nas "remembers" old settings. Because it has done a snapshot on 13 feb 2022.
So that means that the drives has not been reset by my incompetency?:)

In the Columes overview I see:
Data-01 "green circle". Type 5 raid. data 10.90gb free space 0. 
and a "data" blue circle, raid unknown, data 0, free space 0. 
The image of the 4 raid disks show:
2 black and two red.
It also shows a red error message on top: "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #3,4.

Message 12 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Vega32 wrote:

In the Columes overview I see:
Data-01 "green circle". Type 5 raid. data 10.90gb free space 0. 
and a "data" blue circle, raid unknown, data 0, free space 0. 
The image of the 4 raid disks show:
2 black and two red.
It also shows a red error message on top: "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #3,4.

This means that the system can't figure out how to mount the volume.  There are several possible reasons - I generally recommend that people contact paid Netgear paid support to resolve this.  You'd want ProSupport, not the Gearhead stuff.  If you aren't sure how to reach the right folks, the mods ( @Marc_V , @JeraldM ) can assist.

@Vega32 wrote:

So that means that the drives has not been reset by my incompetency?:)

It looks to me like the power issue created the problem (due to cached writes in the ReadyNAS memory never reaching the disks).   

Message 13 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

Thanks. Been trying to buy Netgear Prosupport for about 30 minutes now. Looks like the store wont accept my norwegian Credit or debit cards. 

It also seems like this has to be purchased within 90 days of buying the NAS?? Mine is from 2013. I also tried chatting with Netgear support, but it seems impossible to be allowed to start a chat. Is it even possible to get help from Netgear in my case?

It's very odd that the BACKUP NAS system is so hard to get professional support from...

Message 14 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

And now the debit card was processed. 86 euros withdrawn from account to Netgear. But after purchase the page said "oops something went wrong". But still took my money....

Message 15 of 20
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you ever get the power cord removed?  If it's stuck, the only things I can think of that would cause that are overheating so much that the plastic melted and corrosion.  Both are things you'd likely be able to see once it's de-mated.

If it's overheating the pins, then maybe one of the two power pins is disconnected inside the NAS or cable, forcing too much current though the other and heating it up.  That seems unlikely.  I think each pin can handle the full load (except maybe initial inrush) and the different connector is mostly to keep you from using an underpowered incorrect supply.  So the other thing that could cause melting is a fault in the NAS causing it to draw too much current.  But I'm not sure the PSU can even deliver enough to do that.

If it's corrosion, then it's creating a resistance in the connection.  Cleaning might help, though cleaning the NAS side is going to be tricky, and definitely should include opening the unit and using some contact cleaner, and cleaning just the PSU side or replacing the supply may work for a while but is likely to ultimately fail again as the corrosion builds again.  If you do try a contact cleaner and/or corrosion inhibitor, make sure it says it's safe for plastics.  The carrier in some isn't, and you'll do more damage than good.

Message 16 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

Yes, oddly enough: When I received the new PSU, the old power connector was easy to pull out. I think it might have something to do with how my hands were placed in a wrong angle while trying to pull it out.

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@Vega32 wrote:

Thanks. Been trying to buy Netgear Prosupport for about 30 minutes now. Looks like the store wont accept my norwegian Credit or debit cards. 

@Marc_V and/or @JeraldM:  can you assist?

Message 18 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Vega32

Welcome to the Community!

I have sent you a PM,

Message 19 of 20
Vega32
Aspirant

I am in contact with Netgear support. I will be able to purchase a "support contract". The "professional netgear pro support" was only available for US residents, it seems. But somehow I was able to make an attempt to purchase with my VISA. The money was reserved, but is now released back to my account.

So this threads original problem is resolved: A faulty external power supply made the NAS LCD display blink. Probably not enough power going through to power the 4 disks? With no disks connected the NAS booted.
Replacement power supply works fine.

I am now in contact with Netgear to repair possible errors in the Volume structure (or something like that).

Thanks for all replies and help!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements