× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rsync slow as heck for everyone else???

yoh-dah
Guide

cgreentx wrote:
I have a tcpdump of a file transfer if you are interested in looking at it.

Chris

Sure. You can PM me with a link if you want.
Message 26 of 56
Jar_Jar_Binks
Aspirant

Can you tell me who is 10.227.1.120 and who is 10.227.1.11?
Do you capture it in Freebsd machine?

We found:
1. The tcp packets are all wrong checksum from 10.227.1.120.
2. Slower response from 10.227.1.120
Message 27 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Can you tell me who is 10.227.1.120 and who is 10.227.1.11?
Do you capture it in Freebsd machine?

We found:
1. The tcp packets are all wrong checksum from 10.227.1.120.
2. Slower response from 10.227.1.120

1.11 is the NAS
1.120 is the FreeBSD client

Capture was done on the FreeBSD machine. I've tested on two other FreeBSD machines with different NICs (one of them being VMWare) and had the exact same result.

Chris
Message 28 of 56
Jar_Jar_Binks
Aspirant

There is a consistant 100ms delay in freebsd side for each round. I guess it might be a delay ack thing in your freebsd machine, but I am not sure, you can find out by yourself.

And you don't use Jumbo Frame, right?
Message 29 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

Jar Jar Binks wrote:
There is a consistant 100ms delay in freebsd side for each round. I guess it might be a delay ack thing in your freebsd machine, but I am not sure, you can find out by yourself.

And you don't use Jumbo Frame, right?

I was using Jumbo Frame for a while, but disabled it in this testing. After this is working I will be replicating over the Internet so Jumbo Frames aren't really relevant here. Any ideas why all of my FreeBSD installations would do this with your rsyncd, but not with other machines?

Chris Green
Message 30 of 56
Jar_Jar_Binks
Aspirant

To compare, you need to make another capture for rsync with other server. So we can see what is the difference inside.
Message 31 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

Jar Jar Binks wrote:
To compare, you need to make another capture for rsync with other server. So we can see what is the difference inside.

I sent a capture earlier that was Linux for comparison. I can do a FreeBSD capture on another server for comparison if that is what you want.

Chris
Message 32 of 56
Jar_Jar_Binks
Aspirant

You just need to do the same rsync test like your test with ReadyNAS, I think. And you need to use same machine - 10.227.1.120 for testing and capture, so that we can see what is different when it work with other rsync servers.
Message 33 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

I PM'd you the link to the new capture.

.120 FreeBSD Box
.124 Kubuntu Linux Box

I fired up a quick rsyncd on the linux box and set up the tcp dump on the FreeBSD box per your request. I then performed a sync of the same file across from the rsyncd on the linux box.

receiving file list ...
1 file to consider
CT4MGM.SF2
4174814 100% 12.56MB/s 0:00:00 (1, 100.0% of 1)

Number of files: 1
Number of files transferred: 1
Total file size: 4174814 bytes
Total transferred file size: 4174814 bytes
Literal data: 4174814 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 29
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 98
Total bytes received: 4175437

sent 98 bytes received 4175437 bytes 1670214.00 bytes/sec
total size is 4174814 speedup is 1.00
Message 34 of 56
yoh-dah
Guide

What's your exact rsync command that you're using?
Message 35 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

yoh-dah wrote:
What's your exact rsync command that you're using?

rsync -rltv --progress --stats

-rlt is basically -a with a few options removed as I do not wish to transfer ownership, permissions, etc with this rsync process. I have also tried using a simple -av and -avz.

Chris Green
Message 36 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

FYI -- I'ev done "smbmount" from the FreeBSD and Linux boxes and gotten full speed on both. This is clearly just limited to rsyncd with FreeBSD. FreeBSD 6.1 has rsync 2.6.6 from the base ports tree. For testing I updated the ports tree to the latest and that gave me rsync 2.6.8-2 which provided the same results.

Chris Green
Message 37 of 56
Jar_Jar_Binks
Aspirant

We got the 2nd capture between freebsd and linux server. Unfortunately the rsync procedure was different from 1st capture between freebsd and readynas.

The 1st capture rsync transfer data, but 2nd capture rsync transfer module list.

But I can see there was also 100ms delay in 1.120 side once or twice. So I think if freebsd and the linux server rsync transfer data, it will be slow as well as freebsd and readynas.

You can compare the captures by yourself to see if I am right.

And to compare, you have to make a same test for rsync to transfer data instead of module lists.
Message 38 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

As this issue is common across all of my test FreeBSD boxes and I'm not the first to bring up the issue on your forum I am assuming this is a general incompatibility between the linux rsyncd running on your NAS and FreeBSD.

I need to figure out pretty quickly if you think this is a problem we'll be able to fix on the NAS or not? Since rsync is really my only option for use with the NAS and my production servers I'll need to look for another solution if not.

Thanks for your assistance.
Message 39 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

To clarify, I am completely willing to help you guys work out a solution here if you're willing to help me... but if its all on my to find a way to make FreeBSD work better with the NAS then I need to move on to get a working solution sooner. Thoughts?

Chris Green
Message 40 of 56
Jar_Jar_Binks
Aspirant

Here we will see if we can reproduce your problem with our freebsd machine.
Message 41 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Here we will see if we can reproduce your problem with our freebsd machine.

Please keep me informed. I would prefer to keep this in place3 as changing would be a hassle. I was able to reproduce the same behavior using VMWare, so you should be able to do this virtual if you need to.

Chris
Message 42 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

Any results from testing? Are you seeing the same behavior?
Message 43 of 56
yoh-dah
Guide

cgreentx wrote:

We have it reproduced. We have some ideas and the guys are working on it.
Message 44 of 56
Qui_Gon_Jinn
Aspirant

cgreentx wrote:

Can you check the value of "delayed_ack" for your FreeBSD system? If you can change that option to equal 0, should be able to solve this problem for now. Here is for your reference:
sysctl net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

We are working on a better solution now.
Message 45 of 56
bhoar
Aspirant

heh...isn't the darwin network stack similar/based-on to the bsd one? 🙂

-brendan
Message 46 of 56
Jar_Jar_Binks
Aspirant

Someone call this problem as "delayed ACK stall", here is a very good doc about it, and you can find more by google it:

http://www.isi.edu/lsam/publications/ph ... node2.html

It is sure the delayed ACK settings in FreeBSD or BSD systems (like MACs) will cause slow performance with ReadyNAS. And it seems that can cause similar problem with other systems.

We will try our best to find a reasonable and generic solution in our system, but BSD users have to turn delayed ACK off before we reach that target. And turn that off also will give you best performance with ReadyNAS, and also might improve BSD network performance in general.
Message 47 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

How will this affect normal use of the boxes? These machines serve up web/email/ftp for mlutiple sites and I want to be careful about settings that may impact other applications.

Chris Green
Message 48 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

Initial tests on the local LAN using my test box are promising. I would like to know what impact this setting can have on other stuff before it is moved to production and I am curious if you can find something to work around it on the NAS side.

Chris
Message 49 of 56
cgreentx
Guide

updates?
Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements