× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow share performance on my RN 104 since upgrading to 6.4.0

TheGMan
Aspirant

I don't personally think that this is much to do with Antivirus (at least for me).

I never had AV switched on, and saw my performance drop by half when 6.4.0 was installed.  I also got the crashes that others got, but those seem to have abated since 6.4.2 and I've not had one (though I am hesitatnt to say they have gone away completely, as originally when I got 6.4.0 I didn't seem to get system lockups - that took a while to start happening).

Here's what I'm seeing from my RN104.  I'm running the NAS tester from a RAM disc so as to rule out my PC's internal RAID being any sort of problem.

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on V: 5 times...
Iteration 1:     28.79 MB/sec
Iteration 2:     29.09 MB/sec
Iteration 3:     28.65 MB/sec
Iteration 4:     29.13 MB/sec
Iteration 5:     27.33 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W):     28.60 MB/sec
Running a 400MB file read on V: 5 times...
Iteration 1:     37.81 MB/sec
Iteration 2:     38.16 MB/sec
Iteration 3:     38.43 MB/sec
Iteration 4:     37.20 MB/sec
Iteration 5:     36.68 MB/sec
Average (R):     37.66 MB/sec

As mentioned before, this 25-30MBps performance is half of what I was seeing under 6.2.5.

Message 51 of 61
StephenB
Guru

I was seeing that also, but a factory reset restored full performance.

Message 52 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I don't have the 6TB of storage I'd need outside of my RN104 to be able to copy all the files off while I do a reset, so I can't try that.

Message 53 of 61
StephenB
Guru

Truthfully you should have a backup plan in place for the NAS.

Message 54 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Truthfully, you dont know enough about my use case or implementation to give me advice on what should and should not be backed up, but thanks for your input.

Do we have any word from Netgear as to when they might be actually fixing our issues yet?

Message 55 of 61
pinky2000
Guide

Still desperatly waiting for a fix as well! Same situation here, I don't have enough free space to backup and proceed to a factory reset.

Message 56 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@TheGMan wrote:

Truthfully, you dont know enough about my use case or implementation to give me advice on what should and should not be backed up

You can't reset the NAS because you'd lose the data on it and you have no backup.  That says to me the data has value, and the only copy is on the NAS.  

If I got it wrong, then why not just do the reset?

Message 57 of 61
MikeBob
Aspirant

In my case the NAS is the backup.  So how many times do I need to backup my backups?  Because I have different generations/versions of my backups, I can't recreate all the backups I have, if I was to do a reset.  So should I have a backup, of all the older backups, that are on a RAID 5 drive array?  Well that seems silly given the multiple failures that would have to occur for me to need these older generation backups.  

So I don't agree with the notion that I should backup my RAID 5 array of backups.  I think we should not be so snarky and concentrate on the fact that an update caused this problem and an update would be the proper way to fix it.  Not reseting the NAS.

Message 58 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@MikeBob wrote:

Not reseting the NAS.

As you wish. When I did the reset the performance problem disappeared (and was faster than the 6.2.x level).

FWIW I maintain three copies of all my data, which means one copy of my PC backups.  That goes back to before I had a NAS -  I have had backup devices (both USB drives and optical media) fail when I needed them.

Message 59 of 61
TheGMan
Aspirant

Well, that's great for you if you have all of that storage, but I don't.  For my use case, yes, the data has value, but can't be backed up because I don't have 12TB+ of spare capacity (my RN104 has 4x 4TB drives).

FWIW, my use case is that the ReadyNAS contains ripped copies of my extensive DVD and BluRay collection for me to watch on my media streamer without needing to hop between discs.  As I value quality, the rips are quite large and take time to encode, and so although they can be replaced from the original media, it would take many thousands of hours to do this as I've been building my collection for years.

But, I shouldn't need to justify any of this in order to get help and I agree that snarky comments from representatives of the company or forums aren't helping us get anywhere.  Neither are my snarky comments back (obviously) but really, we're the customers here.

The bottom line for me is that Netgear "broke" the performance with a firmware update and they should be able to "fix" it with one too.

If they cannot do this, then they should tell us so.  Definitively.  Officially.  Then we can all move on and this hassle and stress can be over.

Message 60 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@TheGMan wrote:

Well, that's great for you if you have all of that storage, but I don't.  For my use case, yes, the data has value, but can't be backed up because I don't have 12TB+ of spare capacity (my RN104 has 4x 4TB drives).

FWIW, my use case is that the ReadyNAS contains ripped copies of my extensive DVD and BluRay collection for me to watch on my media streamer without needing to hop between discs.  As I value quality, the rips are quite large and take time to encode, and so although they can be replaced from the original media, it would take many thousands of hours to do this as I've been building my collection for years.

I also have a reasonably large media collection, so I do understand the dilemma. It would be difficult to rebuild a collection like yours from scratch (and in my case some optical media has gone astray or been damaged over the years).

My main NAS has a 15 TB volume.  As storage grew, I added corresponding backup capacity.  Part of the path was shifting NAS I'd outgrown to backup devices.  For a while I added extra drives to my two desktop pcs, and backed up NAS shares to them.  Yes, it does cost extra.

My comment was not intended to be "snarky".  At some point (in my experience anyway) the RAID array will fail.  It is just a matter of how long that will take.  My opinion is that you are undervaluing your media collection (and the labor it would take to rebuild it).

Also, I have never worked for Netgear, and do not represent Netgear in any way.  I am also just a customer who happens to also be a mod.  

@TheGMan wrote:

The bottom line for me is that Netgear "broke" the performance with a firmware update and they should be able to "fix" it with one too.

While I hope they can restore the performance, I had a very old volume on the RN102, and decided to try the reset/restore.

Message 61 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements