× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Snapshot contains old data on Pro 6 4.2.27

pravp
Aspirant

Snapshot contains old data on Pro 6 4.2.27

I have 2 x ReadyNAS Pro 6 that service our office. A Snapshot is taken on the primary NAS each day at midnight and the secondary NAS pulls a backup off the snapshot shares (i.e. sharename-snap) via rsync.

I have only just noticed this but it seems to have been happening for a while. When a snapshot is taken of a specific share the shapshot contains really old data and not current data. I have tried manually taking a snapshot and then browsing the sharename and sharename-snap which in theory should have the same data at the time of the snapshot but this is not the case. The snapshot drive has data that is months old. I have deleting the snapshot and enabling/disabling snapshots but this is still occuring. Is there some way in whcih I can clear the snapshot cache so that I can force a new snapshot?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 13
pravp
Aspirant

mdgm, logs have been emailed as per instructions supplied.

Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried deleting the snapshot, rebooting then taking a new snapshot?

Message 4 of 13
pravp
Aspirant

just managed to try that as the unit is a production unit and had to wait for the weekend. Deleted, then rebooted and did a snapshot but result was the same, OLD Data.

Where is the snapshot data saved? is there a way in which I can SSH in and delete the cache somehow?

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@pravp wrote:

Where is the snapshot data saved? is there a way in which I can SSH in and delete the cache somehow?

The ReadyNAS software maintains snapshot status in its database, and will get out of sync if you delete the snapshot via SSH (unless you also know how to remove the info from the database manually - which I don't).

Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB wrote:

@pravp wrote:

The ReadyNAS software maintains snapshot status in its database, and will get out of sync if you delete the snapshot via SSH (unless you also know how to remove the info from the database manually - which I don't).

I think you are referring to OS6 which has a database that stores info on snapshots. OS4 doesn't have such a database.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

I think you are referring to OS6 which has a database that stores info on snapshots. OS4 doesn't have such a database.

Yes, my mistake. I apologize for any confusion created.

Message 8 of 13
pravp
Aspirant

Thanks for your comments, what's the solution? Is there a bug in the new firmware as I only started noticing this after upgrading firmware last month. Would it be possible to downgrade to old firmware to check?
Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your logs suggest that the volume was last mounted and written to around when you updated from 4.2.26 to 4.2.27. You certainly could try downgrading back to 4.2.26 if you wish.

Message 10 of 13
pravp
Aspirant

mdgm, sorry for the noob question but don't the volumes get mounted each time the NAS reboots? What do you mean when you say that was then when the volume was last mounted? Is it possible to unmount and remount the volume to fix the issue?

I will have to wait until after hours to try the firmware downgrade, will also give that a shot. Managed to download the old firmware.

Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It would be mounted each time it is booted but the log indicates that last happened back in June.

If the services are stopped first then the volume could perhaps be unmounted and mounted, but a reboot would be easiest and the best way to do it.

Message 12 of 13
pravp
Aspirant

thanks mdgm, i did reboot the unit after that the volume would have been remounted but as I reported earlier there was no change to the snapshots. Only course of action now is a firmware downgrade, I will get back after I have tried that.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements