× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stubborn file will not copy to NAS

micro8765
Aspirant

Stubborn file will not copy to NAS

I have a single stubborn file that will not copy to my ReadyNAS Duo no matter what I try.

It is a largish ISO at 2.55 Gb however the same folder has larger ISOs (with almost identical file names) that copy no problem.

When I try to copy this file, I get an error *EVERY* time. However, sometimes it fails about 30% of the way through the copy, sometimes 60% (or anywhere in between). I am copying by drag/drop in Windows Explorer (Vista with latest updates applied).

The error is the dreaded 'There is a problem accessing [source file path] Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.'

This is not a network issue. I regularly copy thousands of files, many larger than this one, without any problem. With this stubborn file it fails every time.

A few things I have tried include:

- Renaming the file - same result.
- Copy the file to another hard drive (locally attached) - no problem.
- Copy the file from another local hard drive to the NAS - fails.
- Changing the NAS performance settings (e.g. disable/enable journaling, fast CIFS, etc.) - no effect.
- Updated firmware to latest RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043] - no change.
- If I zip the file then copy the .zip, it copies no problem.
- Viewing the NAS log - nothing relevant.

As this is a reliable error, I can do any troubleshooting required.

Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 4
fastfwd
Virtuoso

snyhof wrote:
'There is a problem accessing [source file path] Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.'

Are you sure that the error message is referencing the source path, not the destination path?

snyhof wrote:
Any suggestions?

What happens if you simply rename the bad file to "test.zip" (without actually zipping it) and then try to copy that renamed file to the directory on the NAS where you successfully copied the actual .zip file?
Message 2 of 4
micro8765
Aspirant

fastfwd wrote:
snyhof wrote:
'There is a problem accessing [source file path] Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.'

Are you sure that the error message is referencing the source path, not the destination path?

Yes I am 100% sure - the path is the source path. I know this makes no sense as the source drive is locally attached (interal) SATA! I can provide a screenshot of the error message.

fastfwd wrote:
snyhof wrote:
Any suggestions?

What happens if you simply rename the bad file to "test.zip" (without actually zipping it) and then try to copy that renamed file to the directory on the NAS where you successfully copied the actual .zip file?

Just tried this - and if fails as 'test.zip'. It is something to do with the file itself, not the filename. I have another ISO in the same folder, same approx size, with an identical name except for a single numeric character. This other file copies without problem.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Can you try copying it from another PC to the NAS?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements