× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine backups stop working after a few days

julsssark
Aspirant

Time Machine backups stop working after a few days

My TimeMachine backups will work fine for a few days and then I will get a "disk not found" error. If I restart the ReadyNAS, TimeMachine backups start working again. I am using Mavericks 10.9.4 and a Duo v1 4.1.13. Any ideas on how to fix this?

juls
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do your DHCP leases expire every two days?

Have you assigned a static I.P. address to your NAS in the settings of your router?
Message 2 of 7
julsssark
Aspirant

DHCP leases expire in 24 hours. ReadyNAS has a static IP. This is new behavior that started happening in the last couple of months.

julius
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does the Console give any clues?: http://www.macworld.com/article/1131534/tmeye.html

Is your Mac connected to your network via ethernet or Wi-Fi?

Have you changed your router recently?
Message 4 of 7
julsssark
Aspirant

Thanks for the console tip. I do not see any problems with the TimeMachine entries, but I will check it when the backup fails.

Mac is connected to the network via Wi-Fi. Router has not changed.

Interestingly, it is only the TimeMachine functionality that breaks. Even after getting the "volume not found" error from TimeMachine, I can still access my other ReadyNAS shares.

juls
Message 5 of 7
julsssark
Aspirant

In case someone else runs into the same problem, I may have found a solution. My SSL host key was not set correctly and I was getting a certificate error when accessing the ReadyNAS through the browser (I thought it was because the cert is self-signed, but it was also warning because the IP address did not match the certificate). I generated a new cert from the ReadyNAS and imported the cert into my Mac's keychain. So far, I have not run into the Time Machine disk not found error. I will update this thread if I run into again.

juls
Message 6 of 7
julsssark
Aspirant

Update: the problem happened again, so the certificate issue was not the cause. I noticed that the amount of space allocated to Time Machine was greater than the max available on the ReadyNAS. I deleted the .TimeMachine directory, disabled the TimeMachine backups on the ReadyNAS, ran both shutdown scans on the ReadyNAS, reenabled TimeMachine on the ReadyNAS and created a new backup.

juls
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements