× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to give a specific user write access..

sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trying to give a specific user write access..

I have a Readynas Duo (V1) running 4.1.8.
I have a media share and the CIFS access is set to:
Default access - disabled.
Read only group - users
Write enabled users - ste
In the advanced options the share folder owner is ste and the share folder group is users. (ste is in the users group).
The other settings are:
Share folder owner rights: read/write
Share folder group rights: read only
Share folder everyone rights: read only
It has had the 'Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders...' box ticked and applied.
i.e. the way I understand that would be nobody except users in the user group can access the share - and they can only access it on a read only basis. ste is the only person to have write access. Correct?
SSH'd looks lie this:
drwxr-xr-x    8 ste      users       16384 Jun 16 14:50 media
which seems to tie in with the above settings.
Now, I want to grant another specific person to have write access. I added it to the 'Write-enabled users:' box in the CIFS tab - it now reads amy,ste - and applied. However, although the user amy can still read the share - they still can't write to it. What am I missing?
Other that the permissions shown above (drwxr-xr-x), how does the NAS allow access to specific users?
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Trying to give a specific user write access..

I think the default access should be "read only", with guest access disabled (and perhaps everyone access set to disabled) though I don't think that should impact write access.

You could try changing the group rights to read/write, and putting all other users in the group in the read-only list. Another approach might be to put ste and amy in their own group.

I suggest creating a test share with the access you want first, so you can sort this out without any risk.
Message 2 of 5
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks - as you say I can't see how changing the default access to read only should make a difference but I'll check.
Interesting idea to allow read-write to the user group but then limit individuals back to read only - will check that too. But just don't understand why it's ignoring the entry in the 'Write-enabled users:' box. Problem with this is if I add a new user I'll have to remember to add them to the 'read only' box for this share - which kind of defeats the idea of user and group access control in the GUI?
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I agree that listing all read-only users explicitly is not ideal.

The share default access, the folder/file permissions and the ACL all overlap; so it isn't immediately obvious how all the moving parts fit together. The manual has quite a few examples, but doesn't really describe the overall algorithm.

I only need one user account, but if I have a chance I will create a couple test users and play with it a bit.
Message 4 of 5
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not having any joy here. 😞
The permissions from the advanced options seem to override everything else.
eg if I set the 'everyone' to disabled then if I add a group or user to have read or write access in the CIFS tab, it's just ignored because of the advanced tab settings. 😞
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements