× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB connected My Book 4TB

rlange19
Aspirant

USB connected My Book 4TB

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I've been using the ReadyNAS NV+ for a few years now. It's set up with 4 x 2TB WD Black drives for a total capacity of 5533 GB, 1224 GB used. Recently I read of a drive failure that affected two volumes simultaneously, so I decided to back up the ReadyNAS to an external drive. I bought a WD My Book, 4 TB for the purpose, but when I hook it up to the ReadyNAS it can't see the file system, and only reports 2048 GB capacity. I really don't want to format the drive, but right now it looks like I have to partition it just so that the entire capacity can be accessed. Any opinions? Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: USB connected My Book 4TB

@rlange19 wrote:

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I've been using the ReadyNAS NV+ for a few years now. It's set up with 4 x 2TB WD Black drives for a total capacity of 5533 GB, 1224 GB used. Recently I read of a drive failure that affected two volumes simultaneously, so I decided to back up the ReadyNAS to an external drive. I bought a WD My Book, 4 TB for the purpose, but when I hook it up to the ReadyNAS it can't see the file system, and only reports 2048 GB capacity. I really don't want to format the drive, but right now it looks like I have to partition it just so that the entire capacity can be accessed. Any opinions? Thanks!

The NV+ can't handle GPT drives (anything over 2 TB).  I don't know of any workaround for that.

Backup using the built-in USB port is also glacially slow.  You'll get the best backup speeds if you connect the external drive to a PC that is ethernet-connected, and back it up over the network.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements