× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to delete folder from share or set permissions - RN104

matthalion
Aspirant

Unable to delete folder from share or set permissions - RN104

Hello

I am running 6.10.7 on my RN104 and trying to delete a folder from a particular share that holds backups of my systems.

The folder in question is for a server that no longer exists and is taking up in excess of 300 GB of space. A similar folder was deleted successfully from the same share.

When I try to delete through the web admin page, it progresses but then after a second it looks to have "completed" (no errors) but a refresh shows the folder is still there.

When I try to set the folder owner as per https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Strange-Cannot-Delete-Files-or-Fold... I get an error "Cannot set file access. Check if specified user or group exists, or if another file access change is already in process. facl_change fail uid=98 gid-100".

I'm currently at a loss as to how I can delete this folder and recover the disk space used. The RN104 is used 24/7, if a reboot is recommended I will need to arrange downtime of the system in order to perform the reboot.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
matthalion
Aspirant

Oh, stopping the constant IO to the ReadyNAS and performing a reboot (first for a very long time) seems to have cleared the "read-only" element on the volume...

I'm currently sorting through the data on the volume to ensure all is well and increase external backups of data, as well as delete data that is not needed in order to increase the free space on the volume (and reduce the amount of data needed to be backed up).

Not sure if I can mark this as closed off this, as technically the original query around not being able to delete the files was caused by the read-only state of the volume holding the shares, and that was subsequently resolved by a reboot?

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you comfortable using ssh?

Message 2 of 13
matthalion
Aspirant

If necessary, provided any commands are non-destructive 😀

It's possibly related, but I am also unable to access documents from shares via Windows, when I try to open a Word document for example it says "cannot open this file". If I try to copy a file to a share folder, I get an error that "the disk is write-protected". I've not changed permissions in this share or any of the folders to cause this...

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@matthalion wrote:

If I try to copy a file to a share folder, I get an error that "the disk is write-protected". I've not changed permissions in this share or any of the folders to cause this...

Does the admin web ui say the volume is read-only???

Message 4 of 13
matthalion
Aspirant

Yes under the Volumes page

"Volume is read-only"

I've done some Googling and it doesn't look good, the drives themselves are all reporting no issues and I have run a defrag and disk check with no issue. Currently running a scrub to see if that flags anything up.

The logs that have been identified as checking in other posts don't show signs of errors (BTRFS for example) so unsure exactly what has caused this to happen suddenly.

There is over 10TB of data in the volume, 800GB of free space and 4x 4TB drives in a XRAID (operating at RAID 5).

Critical data is backed up to the cloud but most of the rest of it I do not have sufficient capacity to download off the NAS or bandwidth to upload to the cloud, nor am I in a position to spend large sums of money on cloud storage/transfer or large external drives to rebuild this volume 😢

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@matthalion wrote:

Yes under the Volumes page

"Volume is read-only"

Which means that the NAS detected a problem with the filesystem.  I don't think a scrub will help and it could hurt, so I would cancel it for now.

I'd also download the log zip file, and look for errors (starting with system.log and kernel.log).  Don't trust the disk health status shown in the web ui.  You might also want to run the disk test from the volume settings wheel.

@matthalion wrote:

Critical data is backed up to the cloud but most of the rest of it I do not have sufficient capacity to download off the NAS or bandwidth to upload to the cloud, nor am I in a position to spend large sums of money on cloud storage/transfer or large external drives to rebuild this volume 😢

There is a pretty good chance that you will lost the volume, so be prepared for that.

Message 6 of 13
matthalion
Aspirant

I have reviewed the logs and found the below in the kernel log (nothing however in the btrfs log)

Oct 31 15:16:40 HomeNAS kernel: BTRFS: error (device md127) in __btrfs_free_extent:7004: errno=-28 No space left
Oct 31 15:16:40 HomeNAS kernel: BTRFS info (device md127): forced readonly
Oct 31 15:16:40 HomeNAS kernel: BTRFS: error (device md127) in btrfs_run_delayed_refs:2995: errno=-28 No space left
Oct 31 15:16:40 HomeNAS kernel: BTRFS warning (device md127): Skipping commit of aborted transaction.
Oct 31 15:16:40 HomeNAS kernel: BTRFS: error (device md127) in cleanup_transaction:1864: errno=-28 No space left

At all times there is at least 700GB of free space in the volume so I have no idea why it is stating "No space left"

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@matthalion wrote:

At all times there is at least 700GB of free space in the volume so I have no idea why it is stating "No space left"

Free space with BTRFS is kind of a slippery concept, and I always recommend having at least 15%.  You have a lot less than that.

Solving this would require using the linux command line in tech support mode. The commands needed might not work (and there is no step-by-step guide I am aware of to aid diagnosis).

Netgear support could do it remotely, but AFAICT they are not providing much ReadyNAS support anymore.  I'm tagging the mods ( @Marc_V and @JeraldM ) to see if they have any advice.

Message 8 of 13
matthalion
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Free space with BTRFS is kind of a slippery concept, and I always recommend having at least 15%.  You have a lot less than that.

Thank you for your support in this, I thought for a long time that I had sufficient space free on the volume but I'll make a note of that for the future.

Message 9 of 13
matthalion
Aspirant

The irony is that all this came about when I was trying to delete some old data that was no longer needed to free up additional space and it refused to be removed...

Message 10 of 13
matthalion
Aspirant

@matthalion wrote:

The RN104 is used 24/7, if a reboot is recommended I will need to arrange downtime of the system in order to perform the reboot.

I have taken down all my 24/7 systems as they aren't able to run properly anyway with this write lock on, and have begun saving data locally across numerous devices.

This opens up the opportunity to take down the ReadyNAS to perform reboots, upgrades, SSH tasks etc in an attempt to fix this. Worst case scenario I'm going to have to be selective about what data I keep and what data I lose from the general/non-critical data on the ReadyNAS

Message 11 of 13
matthalion
Aspirant

Oh, stopping the constant IO to the ReadyNAS and performing a reboot (first for a very long time) seems to have cleared the "read-only" element on the volume...

I'm currently sorting through the data on the volume to ensure all is well and increase external backups of data, as well as delete data that is not needed in order to increase the free space on the volume (and reduce the amount of data needed to be backed up).

Not sure if I can mark this as closed off this, as technically the original query around not being able to delete the files was caused by the read-only state of the volume holding the shares, and that was subsequently resolved by a reboot?

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@matthalion wrote:

Not sure if I can mark this as closed 

Totally up to you.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo