× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to delete snapshots

BilboD
Aspirant

Unable to delete snapshots

I have 1.24Tb of data on my NAS102 but I have been getting messages that I cannot do a Windows Backup due to insufficient space. Looking into it I find there is over 1.98Tb of Snapshots and only 298.11Gb of free space.

The NAS102 has 6.5.0 Firmware and when I went online it told me to go to the "Shares" option and then click on the "Snapshot" button that is next to the "New Share" button. The only problem is that there is NO "Snapshot" button on the "Shares" page.

Perhaps you can advise me how to control the frequency of snapshots and how to actually delete snapshots when there does not appear to be any way to access them. Thank you from a very frustrated netgear user.

I am using Win 10 Pro 64bit, TalkTalk is my ISP and I have 56+Mb/s downstream and 18+Mb/s upstream connection speed.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

if you hover over a share, you will see a settings wheel on the right.  Click on that, and select "recover".  That will give you a pop-up which (after a while) should show you all the snapshots for the share. These all have date names.

You can select more than one by holding down the shift key.  Then right-click and you will have a "delete" option.  Delete the oldest first.

It might take a while for the space to be reclaimed.  After the snapshots have all been deleted you should run a balance, and when that is done you should also run a defrag.

If the snapshots don't show up in "recover" or if the space is not reclaimed you might need to contact support.

BTW if you click on the settings wheel for the share, and choose "settings" there is a snapshot tab that gives you controls over snapshot use.  Custom snapshots lets you select a retention period (after which the snapshots are deleted).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

if you hover over a share, you will see a settings wheel on the right.  Click on that, and select "recover".  That will give you a pop-up which (after a while) should show you all the snapshots for the share. These all have date names.

You can select more than one by holding down the shift key.  Then right-click and you will have a "delete" option.  Delete the oldest first.

It might take a while for the space to be reclaimed.  After the snapshots have all been deleted you should run a balance, and when that is done you should also run a defrag.

If the snapshots don't show up in "recover" or if the space is not reclaimed you might need to contact support.

BTW if you click on the settings wheel for the share, and choose "settings" there is a snapshot tab that gives you controls over snapshot use.  Custom snapshots lets you select a retention period (after which the snapshots are deleted).

Message 2 of 6
bedlam1
Prodigy

Maybe try going to System/Volumes click the gearwheel to the left in the "Data" box then Settings/Snapshot Pruning and change the percentage value

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'd begin by deleting them all, and get the volume defragged and balanced.  Then set them up properly.

Message 4 of 6
BilboD
Aspirant

Thank you for the succinct and clear advice, that just cleared out a huge amount of space.  All I need now is to ask you to explain where the defrag command is. I also assume that Balancing means I defrag one HDD and then get the second HDD to mirror the changes?

Bilbo

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Go to System > Volumes, click for the settings wheel for the volume and you should see the volume maintenance options. You can even set them up to run on a schedule.

Volume maintenance is done on an entire volume.

Balancing is a different thing to running a defrag.

Balancing moves the data and metadata around to empty chunks so they can be returned to unallocated space. It doesn't defrag the files when it does.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements