× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to reach web interface / impossible performance

YellowOnline_
Aspirant

Unable to reach web interface / impossible performance

Hello,

I need to recover backups from a customer on a ReadyNAS 1100 and subsequently reconfigure it to be used as a backup repository for a QNAP.

Should not be an issue but, unfortunately, is making my life very hard right now. I do not have physical access to this machine and tried yesterday for hours to contact it over web interface in different browsers or over SSH to no avail, even though it is pingable. The web page started to load but eventually timed out.

The fun part: I convinced the janitor to turn of the power in the whole building. A draconian way to reboot a NAS, but I had no choice. But hey: it did work a bit. At least, form a Windowws XP VM with IE8, I managed to load the web interface. According to RAIDar, volume C is syncing (is that a RAID rebuild in this context?). After one hour, it's still at 0.0%. I understand that this impacts performance, but for every click on that web page I need to wait at least 300 seconds (I can't just stare at the Netgear Windows - I have more stuff to do). As soon as I found out where the network settings are hidden - it's set to another language - I'll change the DNS, because it uses DNS that no longer exists. Maybe, just maybe, that also hits performance.

Sorry if this is one big rant, but my first experience with Netgear ReadyNAS isn't particulary good. If anyone can comment on these issues, I'd be grateful.

Model: ReadyNAS-1100|ReadyNAS 1100
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
YellowOnline_
Aspirant

Re: Unable to reach web interface / impossible performance

As I don't seem to be able to edit, for future reference: changing the DNS did the trick indeed. I'm not sure how an unreachable DNS can cause such an issue though.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
YellowOnline_
Aspirant

As I don't seem to be able to edit, for future reference: changing the DNS did the trick indeed. I'm not sure how an unreachable DNS can cause such an issue though.

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is an old model that was discontinued several years ago.

Which firmware is this unit running btw?

Message 3 of 6
YellowOnline_
Aspirant

According to the copyright notice, it's from 2012. Granted, that's a bit ago, but not an antiquity for storage solutions.

I can't find an explicit firmware version mentioned anywhere, but I'm assuming that "RAIDiator 4.1.14" is the firmware version. There's a 4.1.16 meanwhile I saw, but I can't update FW right now as it's busy mirroring the QNAP meanwhile.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@YellowOnline_ wrote:

According to the copyright notice, it's from 2012. Granted, that's a bit ago, but not an antiquity for storage solutions.

The 1100 was launched by Netgear in 2007.  There of course were firmware updates after that, which is why you see the 2012 copyright.  

It's been end-of-life for a while now. Though many of these early NAS are still in service, new ReadyNAS offer more features and a lot better performance.  They also have a completely different web ui.

@YellowOnline_ wrote:

I can't find an explicit firmware version mentioned anywhere, but I'm assuming that "RAIDiator 4.1.14" is the firmware version. There's a 4.1.16 meanwhile I saw, but I can't update FW right now as it's busy mirroring the QNAP meanwhile.

The firmware version is shown on the home page of the web UI.  4.1.15 is the current firmware, there is no 4.1.16.

Message 5 of 6
YellowOnline_
Aspirant

Strange, I had seen a 4.1.16 I thought, but now I can't find it. Oh well, doesn't matter.

If this machine is on since 2007, then I admit it's still wonderfully working and I will forgive it its spartanian interface (but I did manage to bind it in the domain).

Finally, for your nostalgia:

Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements