× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade to 4.1.9 and can't access shares

babaraccas
Aspirant

Upgrade to 4.1.9 and can't access shares

If you have run into this issue please downgrade to 4.1.8 (http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_4_1_8_Notes) or upgrade to 4.1.10 beta: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222
You can then use the Advanced Options tab (go to Shares > Share Listing > Sharename then click on e.g. CIFS and you'll see the tab) to reset the ownership to what you want. You can use the Set ownership and permission for existing... option. Don't forget to click Apply to make your changes

I just upgraded my ReadyNAS Duo to 4.1.9. After the upgrade I could only access my user folder and the backup folder. I can't even connect through AFP which I have typically used. I can see my shares using CIFS, but I can only get into some of them. When I try to open the shares I get a Finder error "The operation can't be completed because the original item "name of share" can't be found.

When I SSH into the NAS I see my shares and all the files seem to be in tact. I attempted to roll back to 4.1.8 as other users have done. My downgrade was successful, but I still can't access my folders.

Suggestions?
Message 1 of 24
peterkin
Guide

MeToo, only I can't even browse the shares! Any attempt to browse the NAS from Explorer (Windows 7 and XP) results in a login request. This fails with any any of the user logins. The NAS is in a Windows workgroup, not attached to a domain.

The NAS was working fine before the upgrade from 4.1.8 to 4.1.9. I'd previously upgraded two other NAS without problems. Rolling back to 4.1.8 has not made the issue go away. Please tell me there's a simple fix before I have to factory reset the NAS and restore from backups. :?
Message 2 of 24
babaraccas
Aspirant

I just created a new test share and I was able to mount it as CIFS and AFP. My next move will be to SSH and copy the files from the unmountable shares to the new folders. I probably won't have time until later tonight, but I'll report back if I'm successful. I'm doing this all in 4.1.8. I'll upgrade to 4.1.9 when it gets some fixes applied.

Peterkin - I'd hold off on doing a factory reset. It might be quicker just to make new shares and move the files.
Message 3 of 24
digital260
Aspirant

babaraccas wrote:
I just upgraded my ReadyNAS Duo to 4.1.9. After the upgrade I could only access my user folder and the backup folder. I can't even connect through AFP which I have typically used. I can see my shares using CIFS, but I can only get into some of them. When I try to open the shares I get a Finder error "The operation can't be completed because the original item "name of share" can't be found.

When I SSH into the NAS I see my shares and all the files seem to be in tact. I attempted to roll back to 4.1.8 as other users have done. My downgrade was successful, but I still can't access my folders.

Suggestions?

Hello, I'm running an Apple network and had the same problem with one shared volume after the update. I couldn't see the share using AFP at all and when I switched on CIFS I was able to see the share, but could not access it even when I changed permissions on it.

I went to the Frontview>Shares>Share Listing>(Selected ProblemShareFolder) Then selected the Advanced Options tab and changed the Owner and Group settings to my Administrative user and opened Read/Write Access to everyone. Then I selected the checkbox next to "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings. This option is useful in cases where you are changing security levels and need to workaround file access problems." The checkbox next to "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files." was already active so I just left it that way. After I clicked the Apply button, it took a minute or two and then I got a message that said the permissions were changed. I tried the share again and it worked. I haven't tried it yet, but I I'm hoping that I can change the permissions back to the original settings and all will be good. I want to back up my volume first to make sure I don't loose anything.

Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 24
tloak
Aspirant

With the new Upgrade Can't Access shares. Appears all permissions changed to "nobody" and "nogroup" It will not let me change
it back to specific owners and or groups. Locked out of shares. PLEASE HELP!!!
Message 5 of 24
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I find this absolutely incredible that an update has been rolled out that prevents users accessing their data and there's still no official response or fix from Netgear (unless I've missed it?). What testing was done?
My issue and similar experience here. :evil:
Message 6 of 24
sam_raegten
Aspirant

Confirm the same problem here after installing the latest firmware on my Netgear ReadyNas Duo (v1).

Just reverted back to firmware version 4.1.8 which had been working fine with shares etc.

I have also been finding with v4.1.9 that although I was reserving an IP address for my NAS in my router, the IP address was randomly changing... not entirely sure if this is another bug in the latest firmware or not but after assigning an IP address in v4.1.8, it would 'stick' and not cause problems.

I'm just about to go through the settings in the share options now I've gone back to v4.1.8 and ensure that I can access all the shares on my NAS (been locked out of my own files for days now and trying to gain access to them! :cry: ).

Hopefully Netgear will bring out a fix very soon for these problems but in the mean time, I guess the best bet is to stick with firmware v4.1.8
Message 7 of 24
kentex
Aspirant

I will throw in my experience and perhaps this will help. I have an NV+ accessing via Mac OS X using CIFS. I upgraded to 4.1.9, had similar issues, so downgraded back to 4.1.8. I had one share that I still could not access, it was set for access only by a specific group, all my other shares are accessible by anybody. If I tried to access this share first, then I could not access any of my shares until I disconnected from the readynas and then logged back in and chose one of the other shares first. To fix access to this one share in 4.1.8 I had to go to Shares->Share Listing in Frontview, select CIFS for the problem share, then select the Advanced Options tab. Once there, under Advanced Share Permission, all I had to do was change the Share Folder Group from "nogroup" to the name of the group that I had defined for access to this share. Share Folder Group Rights was already set to Read/Write, so I did not have to change that. For me that corrected my access issue once I had reverted back to 4.1.8. I don't know if this will help for AFP.
Message 8 of 24
babaraccas
Aspirant

Successful restoration! I reverted back to 4.1.8 and then did as other users described. Changed the owner and group in the Advanced Settings tab for each share and I'm back up and running. Just an FYI, it also messed up my Transmission add-on installation and I had to uninstall and reinstall that. I think I'll stick with 4.1.8 for a little bit longer after this experience 🙂
Message 9 of 24
fabfr
Aspirant

Same Issue here: After an automatic update to 4.1.9 on an NV+, some shares work, but my main share (holding all of my work documents) isn't. The nightly backup also changed access to the backup of these documents - currently I have no access at all to these documents!!!
After finding this thread I'll try now to go back to 4.1.8 hoping for the best.

And: @sjw: You're completely right. This is absolutely incredible! A NAS (with Backup and everything) in this price class should provide security and NOT the feeling of a frail and unreliable system.

UPDATE: this fix worked: -> go back to 4.1.8; reboot; set rights in Share's-Advanced Properties. Backup still unreachable -> started backup manually and hope rights will be reset correctly.
Message 10 of 24
peterkin
Guide

My solution - use Putty to get a root shell session; then run chmod, chgrp, chown with find until everything worked again. The upgrade to 4.1.9 seems to have borked things up nicely and, of course, rolling back to 4.1.8 didn't help. The damage had already been done.

But why, Netgear? Why?
Message 11 of 24
pugilares
Aspirant

With 4.1.9 you can chown, you can chgrp and chmod but it will be reverted again to nobody/nogroup as soon as you reboot the box or change anything in the Frontview. Rolling back do 4.1.8 helps. Al least it helps in case of mine.
Message 12 of 24
Marcel_X
Aspirant

I reclaimed ownership and group by SSH, but after a reboot everything is back to the nouser/nogroup.
This 4.1.9 is definitively still in the beta stage, I can't believe the readynas team dare to publish this as final!
Message 13 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you guys opened support cases? Might be worth a shot. I've tried to get an official response to this reported issue. So far I haven't succeeded. I've just got back from vacation and will try to reproduce this on one of my Sparc systems. If I can reproduce it I'll open a support case.
Message 14 of 24
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Have you guys opened support cases? Might be worth a shot. I've tried to get an official response to this reported issue. So far I haven't succeeded. I've just got back from vacation and will try to reproduce this on one of my Sparc systems. If I can reproduce it I'll open a support case.
Yes I have. I opened it on the 9th and finally got a response this morning. Basically it's completely ignored my points and says that "The permission on the shares did not take effect properly affect the firmware upgrade.

1. Please access FrontView.
2. Go to the shares and click on Advanced option.
3. Put a check on “Set ownership and permission for existing files….”
4. Then, click on Apply. "

I have replied saying that's not the case.
In summary:
•adding a share sets sets ownership and group of Frontview created shares to nobody and nogroup respectively.
•rebooting the NAS sets ownership and group of Frontview created shares to nobody and nogroup respectively.
•in Frontview, selecting a share and then selecting the advanced options to change the owner and group - and the rights below changes ownership and group of all Frontview created shares to nobody and nogroup respectively.
•the owner and group changes are for the actual share 'directories' in 'c'. Sub-folders and files remain unchanged - as do actual permissions (rwx etc.). So, if the ownership is for everyone to have read access, then after the change, they still will have - albeit for the wrong reason. This may be why even more users aren't complaining. If a share only gave access to certain groups or users, then once this change happens they'll lose access.

'My' thread here.

Thanks for that mdgn - the lack of official response or acknowledgement is staggering.
Message 15 of 24
pugilares
Aspirant

I have luckily downgraded to 4.1.8 but I follow with interest the topic of firmware 4.1.9. The way Netgear people handle it is something astonishing to me. It seems like they tumble down to loose credibility just because they are lazy enough to:
1. issue official firmware full of bugs,
2. ignore complaints from customers about that,
3. continue to advertise bugged firmware for two weeks now!
Message 16 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 17 of 24
sjw
Aspirant
Aspirant

pugilares wrote:
...The way Netgear people handle it is something astonishing to me. It seems like they tumble down to loose credibility just because they are lazy enough to:
1. issue official firmware full of bugs,
2. ignore complaints from customers about that,
3. continue to advertise bugged firmware for two weeks now!
You mean like when this issue was ctually reported over 3 months ago in the 4.1.9 beta? Staggering.
Message 18 of 24
peterkin
Guide

pugilares wrote:
With 4.1.9 you can chown, you can chgrp and chmod but it will be reverted again to nobody/nogroup as soon as you reboot the box or change anything in the Frontview. Rolling back do 4.1.8 helps. Al least it helps in case of mine.

I'd better not reboot then!

Frankly, I think it's extremely irresponsible of Netgear to keep this so-called upgrade live. They should withdraw it *right now* until 4.1.10 is ready.
Message 19 of 24
PapaBear1
Guide

RAIDiator 4.1.10 - T3 Beta has been released which fixes this problem (in fact it is the only bug fix listed). Here is the link http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222&p=361838#p361838.

You have a choice of trying 4.1.10 T3 or reverting to 4.1.8.

Please note that since 4.1.10 T3 is a beta release, you cannot use the remote update to pull it down and install it. You must download it from the link and then use local update to load it from a client PC. If you need detailed instructions, please post back and ask for them.
Message 20 of 24
Bouni
Aspirant

Hi,

i can confirm that the problem is solved after the 4.1.10 T3 update and a reboot. It's definitely not decent of Netgear to publish a buggy update and not even revoke it after the bug becomes public.

:slap:
Message 21 of 24
robmorleyuk
Aspirant

I wish I had joined and read the Forum notes sooner.
Upgraded on Monday following the nagware email alert from my NetgearDUO - still listed as compatible for the firmware upgrade.
Thankful for everyone earlier experiences and sad Netgear haven't revised the update advisory like a responsible group.

Now downgraded to previous 4.1.8 stable version and happy to stay there.
May move the files over to my Synology spare.
Message 22 of 24
guyjr
Aspirant

I've been a happy ReadyNAS user for 5+ years, until now. Just got bitten by this bug TODAY.

Netgear: you have one chance to keep me as a customer, as I have been shopping around for additional storage, and will be purchasing a new NAS in the next few weeks. Pull 4.1.9 NOW, otherwise it's adios, and on to Synology.
Message 23 of 24
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Guyjr,
We found the root cause,
if possible, you may download 4.1.10 beta, it fixed the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59222
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements