× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Used HDs from ReadyNas

tcc1
Aspirant

Used HDs from ReadyNas

Hello All,

I have a few HDs from an NV+ and NVX that are no longer being used since an upgrade. I want to use them for other PCs in the house for extra storage. The PCs are running either Vista or XP and I tried installing them to format through disk management but the system doesn't see it and it keeps on popping up new hardware found.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

tia
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Used HDs from ReadyNas

Do you recall which hard drives were used in which system?

Do you still have the NV+ and NVX?
Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Also, if the drives you are trying are > 2 TB, then old PCs might not recognize them.
Message 3 of 10
tcc1
Aspirant

I think I know which is which drive, but if not.....

I do still have both units.

The drives are 500gb max.
Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does the NAS still recognise the disks that were in it?

With the NVX did you do a factory default with secure erase that you interrupted?
Message 5 of 10
tcc1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Does the NAS still recognise the disks that were in it?

Not sure. What would the purpose be?
With the NVX did you do a factory default with secure erase that you interrupted?

Not sure what you mean by this.
I just pulled the old drive out and put in a higher capacity drive in and let the system resync. I did nothing to the old drive.
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Trying to understand why the disk isn't recognised by your PC.

Can you power down the NVX, remove drives (label order), put the drives you are trying to connect to your PC that were in the NVX back in and boot into tech support mode, then PM me your I.P. etc. ?

I can look at your disks and wipe them so they are blank (unformatted).
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If this is happening with all the drives, then maybe something is wrong on the PC end.

Tcc- how are you connecting them to the PC?
Message 8 of 10
tcc1
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
If this is happening with all the drives, then maybe something is wrong on the PC end.

Tcc- how are you connecting them to the PC?

Internally via sata cable.

mdgm wrote:
Trying to understand why the disk isn't recognised by your PC.

Can you power down the NVX, remove drives (label order), put the drives you are trying to connect to your PC that were in the NVX back in and boot into tech support mode, then PM me your I.P. etc. ?

I can look at your disks and wipe them so they are blank (unformatted).

Currently I have 2x2tb and 2x1tb drives in the NVX and from what I can remember I had two 500gb drives from it (not 100% sure). Will putting in the two 500 disks cause a problem if I remove the two 2tb disks? What if the 500s are from my NV+?
Message 9 of 10
tcc1
Aspirant

I was able to get an external HD dock and tried the drives on a vista laptop and it was recognized by disk management. So therefore something is wrong with the XP system. Maybe a driver or something not installed to recognize sata disks??

Anyways, was also able to locate an extra IDE drive and it works on the xp system.

So all is good now. Thanks for your help mdgm and StephenB.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements