× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 7 - ReadyNAS Ultra 6 SMB BSOD

deniTHOR1
Aspirant

Windows 7 - ReadyNAS Ultra 6 SMB BSOD

Hello,

i have a big problem which drives me crazy...

I have two w7 x64 pro clients and a smb share on the readynas with four 3 TB disks in x-raid2 which gives me 8.1 TB (4 TB used). The access to the share works from both clients. I can copy and read files with the clients and can also access the share from my wdtv.

If i copy a file from or to the nas (size does not matter) and use windows file explorer to browse folders while copying, the smb connection freezes for around one minute. Sometimes it just resumes but most of the time i end up with a client side bluescreen. I tried some kb-fixes from microsoft but it did not help much.
The thing is: While the connection via hostname "\\nashostname\share" freezes the ip "\\x.x.x.x\share" still works and vice versa. it looks like only one session freezes/crashes - But a new one works. I have this on both clients and i can reproduce it.

Problem occurs with 2.2.22, 2.2.21 and 2.2.23-T6.
With the high risk of getting a bsod while transfering data and browsing the share (normal user operation...) it makes the nas almost unusable.

Any ideas or solutions?
Message 1 of 5
kossboss
Guide

What are the specs of the PC your on?

BSODs are not related to the NAS samba server. The fixes would have to be on the client in this case. We have no control of the windows client side if its a client side issue. However if it is a memory issue or something i recommend upgrading memory on the client.
Message 2 of 5
deniTHOR1
Aspirant

Clients: Notebook (Intel Core i5, 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM) and a Desktop (AMD Phenom II X4, 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM).
Both Clients can access an Ubuntu based NAS (Samba, 3 TB share) without any problems.

BSOD only shows up performing file operations on the ReadyNAS. Not while gaming, video encoding or anything else. Not even while accessing the Ubuntu NAS.
It might look like a client side problem. But i think it is some kind of incompatibility between server and client (or something else) with the BSOD as result.
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

This is not happening with my two Win-7 systems (both running x64). Though I am running 4.2.20 on my pro. However, if there was a server compatibility with Win-7 x64 it seems to me that we'd be flooded with posts here about it.

Maybe try downgrading the ultra firmware to 4.2.20. If the problem still happens, then it clearly isn't a software incompatibility with Windows itself.

BTW, Internet security software, or third-party file utilities that attach to the Windows Shell could possibly create issues. Maybe that is something you could look into.
Message 4 of 5
deniTHOR1
Aspirant

I know that this is not a common problem. Disabling Internet Security did not help and i don´t think this can be fixed on the client side. Even if it looks like since the BSOD is on the Clients.
What i´m now trying to figure out is the difference between the two samba servers.

Old NAS with Samba version 3.0.28a - No Problems at all.
readyNAS with Samba version 3.5.21 - Clients crash on file operations.

Maybe it´s the smb configuration - Changing the firmware on the readyNAS did not help and as far as i know the configurations are preserved in the up-/downgrade process.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements