× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 7 Ult 64bit & ReadyNAS 1100 not connecting to shares

Cuzz
Aspirant

Windows 7 Ult 64bit & ReadyNAS 1100 not connecting to shares

Hi,
I have been using the 4tb readyNAS 1100 on a domain for almost a year now flawlessly. We have over 20 workstations all Windows XP and several Windows servers from 2003-2008 all using the ReadyNAS 1100 daily. This has been and still is a great device.

I recently installed a Windows 7 ULT 64bit box on the network and have had no luck getting it to access any of the shares on the ReadyNAS device. It shows up in Network Discovery, Radiator, Frontview, http access, etc just not through cifs.
I've also added another identical Win 7 box which is experiencing the same connection issues.

I’ve spent the last 2 days searching the forums and trying all the suggestions from other posts like changing the local policy settings, trying almost all the different security/advanced options in frontview, updating the firmware to 4.1.6, all to no avail. Below is a snippet of the smdb.log file showing errors related to the Windows 7 box trying to connect and successful logs of windows xp boxes.

[2010/01/13 15:25:42, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [Andrew] -> [Andrew] -> [SPC\andrew] succeeded
[2010/01/13 15:31:41, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 10.0.0.131. Error = Connection reset by peer
[2010/01/13 15:34:31, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 10.0.0.131. Error = Connection reset by peer
[2010/01/13 15:46:14, 0] smbd/server.c:main(942)
smbd version 3.0.34 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
[2010/01/13 15:49:46, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
[2010/01/13 15:53:41, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
[2010/01/13 15:56:16, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
[2010/01/13 15:56:33, 0] smbd/server.c:main(942)
smbd version 3.0.34 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
[2010/01/13 15:58:24, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(319)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [Brent] -> [Brent] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
[2010/01/13 15:59:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
[2010/01/13 16:01:01, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
[2010/01/13 16:02:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
[2010/01/13 16:08:46, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
[2010/01/13 16:20:39, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [Ronf] -> [Ronf] -> [SPC\ronf] succeeded
[2010/01/13 16:42:31, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [Andrew] -> [Andrew] -> [SPC\andrew] succeeded
[2010/01/13 17:00:04, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)

The support on these forums looks outstanding and I'm hopeful someone out here can help me 🙂

Thanks,
Brent
Message 1 of 24
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Windows 7 Ult 64bit & ReadyNAS 1100 not connecting to shares

I've asked our QA team to try Win7 64-bit with the ReadyNAS to see if there are any issues. I'll post the results when I get them.
Message 2 of 24
Mac2411
Aspirant

This is good news for me because this appears similar to the problem I'm experiencing with my ReadyNAS NV+, which is documented in the thread below on this forum entitled "File save on Ready NAS Duo using MS Word or Excel." The link is as follows:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35111&start=0
Message 3 of 24
Cuzz
Aspirant

Thanks ewok, I'll be eagerly waiting for the results.

Brent
Message 4 of 24
NASEnergy
Aspirant

I have a similar issue with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and NV+ NAS, so will provide a little more info on what I am seeing in the hope it helps.

I have two NV+ NAS, one at firmware rev level 4.1.4 and the other at 4.1.6. Access to both units is flawless with Windows XP-Pro, both for secured and unsecured shares. Purposely have not updated the 4.1.4 NV+ since this problem occured and I am testing on both units.

With the Windows 7 machines, the access to the unsecured shares works well, but I get an error when trying to access the secured shares. All steps seem to work the same with both XP and 7 (finding/mapping the share, selecting it in Windows File Explorer, and initial pop-up asking for the id/password), but, for Windows 7, when the password is entered in the "Windows Security" window, a second "Windows Security" window pops up and asks for another id/password "Network Password". These windows do NOT have the same appearance and may be related to domain/workgroup set-up (getting beyond my abilities with that guess), but there is no documentation on this "feature".

If I change the share to an unsecured share, then the Windows 7 machines can access it with no problems, which is my temporary workaround. Unsecured shares will not work for us in the long term.

I will continue to test and provide more info as it becomes available, but do look forward to the testing results as well.
Message 5 of 24
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

Also having similiar issue with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. Getting the same 4-bytes...connection reset by peer message. This is on a Duo.
Message 6 of 24
Cuzz
Aspirant

Ok quick update, I just finished setting up a 3rd Win7 box identical to the first 2 and when I tried accessing the ReadyNAS it worked! I went back and checked everything for differences in the 3 boxes and am at a complete loss. Anyways I still need to figure this out so it isn't a hit and miss every time I upgrade someones workstation to win7 so any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent
Message 7 of 24
sunwong
Aspirant

Hi,

I have had the same issues with our ReadyNAS NVX and a new Windows 7 Ult. 64Bit we have setup some days ago, access to non protected shares is allowed but any of the protected shares would give me the same errors that some of you have pointed here.

I have found a solution to the problem that works in our particular scenario, consisting in rejoining the NAS to the domain. This will work only for those of you that are working in 'Domain' mode, obviously.. (We are working in ADS mode).

I typed in the IP address of our DC, specified our Administrator & password, and the NAS joined the domain. After showing the pop-up claiming successful joining to our domain, access to protected shares from the Windows 7 box began to work.

Hope this helps,
Message 8 of 24
kais
Aspirant

Re: Windows 7 Ult 64bit & ReadyNAS 1100 not connecting to sh

I have exactly the same problem in my office network (20 clients).

I bring up my own machine to Win7, 64Bit and since that time I can´t access any share on my NAS.

But I found a solution:

I set up the DFS (distribute file system) on my domain-controller. At the DFS root I included all NAS shares (without mirroring).

And the result is: I CAN access the NAS-Shares over the DFS from my Win7 64Bit client, but not over NAS directly.

Don´t ask my why this works - but it works!

Best regards,
Kai
Message 9 of 24
Cuzz
Aspirant

Thanks kais that worked perfectly.

I have since installed 4 more Windows 7 boxes that all work so it's an issue with these first 2 which I've yet to figure out. But setting up the NAS on DFS worked so problem solved, kinda 🙂

Cuzz
Message 10 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
I've asked our QA team to try Win7 64-bit with the ReadyNAS to see if there are any issues. I'll post the results when I get them.

Ewok - did you guys ever have any results on this? I've been cracking my head against the forums/my new Win7-64 box all weekend to no avail. (same results as the original post - and have updated to the latest firmware beta as well) Also have the registry mod in-place via the local policy editor.

Unprotected shares - fine
password protected shares - no go
hidden password protected shares - no go

(no domain controller on my network - just a workgroup - WinXP machines still working fine)

thanks in advance.
Message 11 of 24
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

I'll ping them again and ask them to respond directly in this topic.
Message 12 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

ewok wrote:

Many thanks for the follow-up! A quick in-advance note that I'm happy to get into nasty-low level details/invest in troubleshooting/logs/etc. - just say the word.
Message 13 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

bonez wrote:
ewok wrote:

Many thanks for the follow-up! A quick in-advance note that I'm happy to get into nasty-low level details/invest in troubleshooting/logs/etc. - just say the word.

any luck, ewok? Still having the same issue and haven't been successful in finding a workaround.
Message 14 of 24
Trial_Master
Aspirant

FYI - I've got Windows 7 Ultimate connected and working with both an NV+ and NVX
Message 15 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

Trial_Master wrote:
FYI - I've got Windows 7 Ultimate connected and working with both an NV+ and NVX

64-bit?

The issue is with Win7-64bit; specifically, in non-domain mode with (password)-protected shares - both visible and hidden. If you've found a way for things to work, I'm all ears 🙂
Message 16 of 24
Trial_Master
Aspirant

Yeah 64-bit, I use Workgroup (non-domain) all shares are password protected. I don't know what to tell you I just set up the shares like I have in XP & Vista and it worked fine.
Message 17 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

Trial_Master wrote:
Yeah 64-bit, I use Workgroup (non-domain) all shares are password protected. I don't know what to tell you I just set up the shares like I have in XP & Vista and it worked fine.

So strange. A few questions, if you don't mind:
    How do you connect to the share on the ReadyNAS? (browse? UNC (e.g. \\readynas\share or \\192.168.1.101\share - name? IP?)
    Do you get prompted for a username/password on connect? If so, what do you enter for username? (since not needed by the readynas) - anything special? like trying to reverse the domain of the user (e.g. username = readynas\username, password = the share's password)
    Have you made the registry change to allow old-style encryption?
    Do you have your ReadyNAS setup as a WINS server on your network?
    ReadyNas firmware version?

thanks in advance if you're able to share.

-Bonez
Message 18 of 24
Trial_Master
Aspirant

I connect using Mapped Drives I connect using either \readynas\share or \\192.168.1.101
I did get a prompt the first time I mapped the drive but I saved the Readynas user and password so the share auto connects.
Haven't made any registry changes
No WINS server, set up
RAIDiator 4.2.11 (x86)
Message 19 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

Trial_Master wrote:
I connect using Mapped Drives I connect using either \readynas\share or \\192.168.1.101
I did get a prompt the first time I mapped the drive but I saved the Readynas user and password so the share auto connects.
Haven't made any registry changes
No WINS server, set up
RAIDiator 4.2.11 (x86)

I don't have a ReadyNAS username...maybe it's because of the Readynas you have. I'm just in share mode. Also on RAIDiator 4.1.7-T29 [1.00a043] on an NV+. Ewok - maybe something fixed in 4.2.x is doing the trick? Any plans for it to come to the NV+?

(thanks for the response, Trial_Master)
Message 20 of 24
Trial_Master
Aspirant

When i had my NV+ I ran it in User Mode so Shared Mode could be your issue?
Message 21 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

Trial_Master wrote:
When i had my NV+ I ran it in User Mode so Shared Mode could be your issue?

Share mode has always worked fine, though - and much preferable given some of the front end units that access it (like series 1 xboxs). Still works fine on WinXP. Problematic on Win7-64bit. 😞
Message 22 of 24
mueller_dv
Aspirant

You will have to set a reg entry..

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000001

This is for the NTLMv2.

So this helps only if your readynas is in Active Directory
Message 23 of 24
bonez
Aspirant

mueller-dv wrote:
You will have to set a reg entry..

indows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000001

Already set - doesn't do the trick. I just did a factory reset and full drive upgrade, too - reconfig'd from scratch (didn't use export/import) - same issue 😞

I just don't use passwords anymore... could never get it to work :cry:
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements