× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 7 "Unable to access remote path..." Trouble

readyornot
Aspirant

Windows 7 "Unable to access remote path..." Trouble

I have been using Backup on a ReadyNSA Duo to copy files from Vista machines for a while now without any problems. I added a Windows 7 laptop to my network, and set a similar backup (using the wired LAN address)(Window/NAS(Timestamp).
The host is the laptop's IP address; Path =Path;logon & password are copied from the laptop user account from which I'm trying to backup. BUT... I consistantly get the error "Unable to access remote path //192.168.168.228/Users/Louis/Documents."
I'm Running radiator 4.1.7.
My Vista machines see the Windows 7 laptop over the network and can access its files.
For what it's worth, the laptop can access the ReadyNas
I think I've tried almost everything.
I need help!
Any ideas out there?
Message 1 of 8
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Windows 7 "Unable to access remote path..." Trouble

Can your Vista machine access the files using this UNC: \\192.168.168.228\Users\Louis\Documents
Message 2 of 8
readyornot
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes. I opened a command window on the Vista machine and typed "pushd \\102.168.168.228\Users\Louis. I then typed a text file from this directory on the Vista machine.
Message 3 of 8
readyornot
Aspirant

Sorry about the typo in the ip. I actually did use \\192.168.168.228\User\Louis\Documents to successfully access files from the Vista machine.

For some reason now the ReadyNas is now reporting a "Error connecting to \\192.168.168.228\User\Louis\Documents" instead of the "access error".

Two more peices of information: 1) the win 7 laptop can access the shares on the NAS and 2) at some point in the past (maybe six months ago?) the win 7 backup job worked at least once.

I'm really at wits end here!
I can't imagine why, but do I need to run Raidar on the Windows 7 laptop? I'm grasping at straws.

I really appreciate any help!!!
Message 4 of 8
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

No need for RAIDar. One thing you can try is sharing the Documents folder directly instead of going through the User folder.
Message 5 of 8
vuilverwerking1
Aspirant

Message 6 of 8
readyornot
Aspirant

😄 vuilverwerking 😄
You're the man! That did the trick. Clearly I failed to appreciate the differences between 7 and Vista and need to study up while keeping my fingers crossed that this fix continues to work.

Thank You!
Message 7 of 8
vuilverwerking1
Aspirant

You are welcome....
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation