× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Your NETGEAR Storage is not accessible from this computer, please check your network setting.

ddemartin
Tutor

Your NETGEAR Storage is not accessible from this computer, please check your network setting.

RAIDAR finds netgear storage bus says is not accessible:

Your NETGEAR Storage is not accessible from this computer, please check your network setting.

Computer is PC running Windows 10.

ReadyNAS NV+ is directly connected to the computer via LAN cable.

Everything worked until a few days ago. I suspect it broken after a Windows update, but I am not sure.

I already tried an OS reinstall (on the ReadyNAS), with no success.

Any suggestion?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Your NETGEAR Storage is not accessible from this computer, please check your network setting.

Open the Windows Credential Manager, and then enter a credential for 192.168.168.168.  The username (and password) should be used by a ReadyNAS local account.  Note that "admin" works for this.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 23

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ddemartin,

It must be the NAS and the computer are not on the same subnet. What IP address shows up on the RAIDar? What's the IP address of the computer?

Welcome to the community!

Regards, 

Message 2 of 23
ddemartin
Tutor

Hi JennC,

RAIDar shows 192.168.168.168

the ethernet network uses the same IP, subnet is 255.255.255.0

Thanks a lot!

Davide

Message 3 of 23
ddemartin
Tutor

Hey!

I changed the network IP in 192.168.168.1 and the Readynas become accessible again. I could access the admin page. But one minute later it was not accessible again...

Very odd

Thanks

Davide

Message 4 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you running?

Do you have a backup of your data?

Message 5 of 23
ddemartin
Tutor

Firmware is 4.1.15 (just updated).

The Readynas contains the backup of my data (plus some more data).

So, RAIDar sees the NAS, the find button works (leds blink on the NAS), I can access the admin page, but the "browse" button leds to message that sounds like (translated from italian) "cant access \\192.168.168.168. User may don't have the necessary authorization. Contact server administrator".

Message 6 of 23
StephenB
Guru

Open the Windows Credential Manager, and then enter a credential for 192.168.168.168.  The username (and password) should be used by a ReadyNAS local account.  Note that "admin" works for this.

Message 7 of 23
ddemartin
Tutor

Oh, that worked!

Thanks a lot!

I am wondering why things messed up. Probably the responsible is the Windows 10 massive update made some few days ago.

Message 8 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@ddemartin wrote:

I am wondering why things messed up. Probably the responsible is the Windows 10 massive update made some few days ago.

Quite a few people have needed to do this lately - something changed on authentication in either Windows 10 or OS 6.5/OS 6.6 (or both).

Message 9 of 23
Fastford
Aspirant

Having the same issue. Nas shows 192.168.1.104. Answers pings and shows up in raidar however no model no firmware and no drives are listed. It's a 2 bay Nas model RNDP2000 that's been sitting on my shelf..

Any thoughts appreciated as I cannot access the admin page or shares. Thanks
Message 10 of 23
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Fastford,

I think your case is different from what the original poster has. What steps have you done so far?

How many drives do you have? Do you have a back-up of your files?

Regards,

Message 11 of 23
Fastford
Aspirant

Tried to connect using raidar. Not sure what to do next. Factory reset would wipe and correct?

Thanks for getting back. Used to work fine was in storage and now it seems dead. (Doesn't display model firmware or drives in raidar does power up and show network activity thou.
Message 12 of 23
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Fastford,

Yes, factory default would wipe the data. If you have a back-up of your files though then it might be okay to do it.

How many drives do you have and do you remember what RAID were you using?

Regards,

Message 13 of 23
Fastford
Aspirant

2 drives so it was a mirror.

Just not understanding why all of a sudden it appears dead...

Possible to pull a drive and hook up to USB external drive connector and check if I can see data?

Thanks
Message 14 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Fastford wrote:

Possible to pull a drive and hook up to USB external drive connector and check if I can see data?

It won't be formatted for Windows. But if you have a Windows PC you could try installing R-linux for Windows and see if that can access the disk.

@Fastford wrote:

Just not understanding why all of a sudden it appears dead..

How long was it sitting on the shelf?

Message 15 of 23
Fastford
Aspirant

Guess about 18 months approx
Message 16 of 23
StephenB
Guru

You could try powering down, and then reseating the two disks trays.

Are you using RAIDar 4.3.8?

Also, are you seeing one of these blinking led patterns?

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration
Message 17 of 23
Fastford
Aspirant

Reseated drives. No change

Only have blue power light. No red light or any other lights.

Attempting to locate does not flash lights

Using raidar 6.2 model: (no model detected) name nas-c2-04-f6 status: no disks detected firmware: (blank) drives (greyed out)

Ran 4.3.8 same results except I have a Mac address

Unable to connect to 192.168.1.100

Thanks. Any thoughts appreciated.
Message 18 of 23
StephenB
Guru

I suspect a hardware failure.

Try powering down the system, removing the disks (labeling by slot) and rebooting.  See if you get the LED status for "no disks" that's listed above.

If you do, then if you have a spare disk, you should try a factory install using the boot menu, with only the spare in place, and see if that succeeds.  

An alternative way to force the factory install is to wipe the spare disk first with WD's lifequard program (it has a write-zeros test - the "quick" version is enough to return the disk to an unformatted state). The system is designed to automatically do the factory install if the disk is blanks.

If you can't do the factory install, then check the warranty status.  The hardware warranty is 5 years for the original purchaser.  If you are covered, then contact support via my.netgear.com and ask for an RMA.

Message 19 of 23
Fastford
Aspirant

OK pulled disks and booted. Just get blue power light and no red LED lights. Hard to tell bit might have small blue light under power light. Could just be the power light making it appear that way...

Almost sure there is no warranty. I'll call netgear to check. Any suggestions or this unit just broken.

No idea why it worked and now it doesnt
Message 20 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Fastford wrote:
OK pulled disks and booted. Just get blue power light and no red LED lights. 

Nothing blinking????

@Fastford wrote:

Almost sure there is no warranty. I'll call netgear to check. 

The warranty is 5 years from purchase date and is not transferable.  If you registered it, then you can check the warrany status at my.netgear.com.  If you didn't, you'll need to track down the purchase date (and Netgear might ask for proof of purchase anyway).

@Fastford wrote:
Any suggestions or this unit just broken.

I already suggested trying a spare disk (that would be wiped).  The idea there was to rule out any possibility that one of the disks was creating the problem.

Testing the disks in a windows PC (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for Western digital) is another useful step.

@Fastford wrote:

No idea why it worked and now it doesnt

I don't think it's productive to try to sort out why it failed - after all It was sitting on the shelf gathering dust for ~18 months.  There are several possibilities, including someone knocking over the unit and putting it back on the shelf.  

It's better to try to isolate what has failed (chassis, one or both disks, or power brick).

Message 21 of 23
Fastford
Aspirant

Thanks. I reseated the disks and rebooted. Blinked green a few times then no more light only the blue power light

I'll find a blank drive and try that.

Any harm in hooking the drives via USB to laptop and seeing if I can access data or if I can run the seatools?

Thanks for the advice.

Message 22 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Fastford wrote:

Any harm in hooking the drives via USB to laptop and seeing if I can access data or if I can run the seatools?

No, but to access data you'll need rlinux-for-windows or some software that supports ext-formatted drives

Make sure the NAS is powered down when you shuffle the disks.  Also label the disks by slot.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements